• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Paizo and 4e.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Sundragon2012 said:
I have to admit being perplexed at your unhappiness with the proposed 4e cosmology changes especially when I saw that the Adventure Path modules are set in their own world. If you are creating your own setting wouldn't it follow that you would want to create a set of core assumptions regarding your setting that would make it unique? Wouldn't it make sense to create your own planar cosmology and backstory to beings like succubi? Why would WoTC's decisions regarding how the planes are set up or whether or not succubi are demons or devils impact the choices you make in your setting?

My unhappiness had a lot more to do with me as a player than me as a publisher. As I said, we can't use stuff like the Great Wheel, so there is really no point in crying about it from a publishing point of view. We were always going to have to create our own cosmology, anyway.

Which is what we're doing, no matter what edition we use! :)

--Erik

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
epochrpg said:
Originally Posted by hong
I always thought Victor Hugo reached his peak with The Three Musketeers, but then jumped the shark with The Phantom Of The Opera.
Hugo didn't write the Three Musketeers. That was Andre Dumas. Hugo's greatest work was Les Miserables.
"Fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well known is this: 'Never take hong seriously when posting in a thread.'" Ha ha ahahah ahah ha ha (thump). ;)

By the way, I saw a post a while back calling the Paizo folks "Paizons" and wondered if it was widespread and/or how the Paizo folks feel about it. Oh, and keep up the awesome work.

Odhanan

Adventurer
TarionzCousin said:
By the way, I saw a post a while back calling the Paizo folks "Paizons" and wondered if it was widespread and/or how the Paizo folks feel about it. Oh, and keep up the awesome work.

Not that I know of. I've read the same thread, and it was a neologism for me too.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
For what it's worth, once your stat-lite monster book comes out in January, you'll be setting the template for what my campaign's monsters are like, too, 4E or no 4E!

(But feel free to post ogre fluff early, since I need it soon!)

The Little Raven

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:
As for the end product being good or not, I'm sure the designers of New Coke thought they were doing the most amazing thing for their company. Luckily they were able to recover from that blunder.

A fact: New Coke consistently beats Coke and Pepsi in taste tests. The reason it failed? Coke grognards.

The Little Raven

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
And yet fail it did eh?

But had nothing to do with the merits of the product itself, which is the implication people try to lay on it when they call 4e the "New Coke of D&D." They're trying to imply that it's a bad product, when in fact the implication is that grognards will reject it simply because it's new (which is what happened to New Coke).

If people want to use soft drink analogies to call 4e a substandard product, then I'd suggest calling it the "Crystal Pepsi of D&D," since that drink failed on it's merits.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Mourn said:
But had nothing to do with the merits of the product itself, which is the implication people try to lay on it when they call 4e the "New Coke of D&D." They're trying to imply that it's a bad product, when in fact the implication is that grognards will reject it simply because it's new (which is what happened to New Coke).

If people want to use soft drink analogies to call 4e a substandard product, then I'd suggest calling it the "Crystal Pepsi of D&D," since that drink failed on it's merits.

But great products fail all the time.

To many people right now, D&D is far from the best game and it only has it's crown thanks to none of it's merits, merely that it was first.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Wulf Ratbane said:
Ok, first of all, that right there is why Paizo is so cool.

But the larger point is that I think you guys should just define your own bard, just as you did with goblins, own it, and make it stick.

Who cares what the "official" bard is at that point?

Not just this : I appreciate the efforts you Paizo guys put into consistency, design, plot.

Heck ! Your modules are story-driven. Not just a collection of stupid random monsters. there is a whole. There is a larger picture. Whatever you choose to do regarding the system, I will remain your loyal customer as long as I have a buck left to spend. (Same as with Paradigm, whose approach I love as well).

To be short : I don't play for the rules, they are just the icing on the cake and not the other way round.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Odhanan said:
I have no pity. I should be ashamed of myself. :eek:

PS: So should Victor Hugo. Ever read his introduction of the Hunchback of Notre-Dame? Deadly, man, deadly, but glorious.

Since you are into classic French litterature try stomaching the intro of "Le Père Goriot" by (Balzac ?) If I remember.

Remove ads