Pathfinder 1E Paizo Annoucement!

thundershot

Adventurer
First off, I've got to give props to Paizo for a ballzy move. However... I don't play 3.5 anymore. I'm ready for 4E, and that's what I'm supporting. I guess it'll save me some money in the first year. I plan on getting books done by Wizards, Necromancer, Goodman, and Paizo, so long as they're all 4E...

Good Luck

Chris

Wolfspider

Explorer
Lord Tirian said:
Sadly, I get a similar impression. When I've heard 3.75, I've hoped for a bit more at-will or pseudo-per-encounter powers, á la Monte's Book of Experimental Might. But this looks more like 3.5 with minor house rules. Too minor, it's close enough to 3.5, that you can keep playing 3.5, unless you do not have access to the books.

Still plenty of time for changes. Playtesting has just begun....

EATherrian

First Post
kennew142 said:
I wish Paizo well, but I won't be buying any more 3e material. I was a charter Pathfinder subscriber, but I cancelled my subscriptions after I read the announcement. I too have moved PAIZO from the D&D folder in my browser to the RPG Other folder. IMO D&D will be 4e. Paizo's new game will be something else, something I will not be buying.

See, this is where I disagree. WoTC has the superior position of owning the D&D name and they are using it on 4th Edition. That means that what they say is D&D is D&D, even if it isn't. I don't think 4th Edition really is, I think it is much more its own game and if it wasn't for the ownership of the brand name not many would give it much notice.

xechnao

First Post
The path Paizo has decided to follow seems to lead in a win win situation IMO.

Mustrum_Ridcully said:
We could also see the birth of a new game line ...

This would actually be the best of the best could happed. Really.

Gundark

Explorer
Mistwell said:
My post over at the Paizo board:

First, let me say I think the choice you guys made was brave and gutsy.

Second, I wish you all the luck in the world. I hope your new venture succeeds.

Third, my prediction is that in the short term this will do well, and in the long term it will prove an unwise move. Eventually most people will move over to 4e, and leave the vestiges of 3e behind. I suspect in two-three years we will see someone like Necro buying out Paizo for pennies on the dollar.

Good Luck Paizo!

I have to say I agree. This is a short term thing. I hope I'm wrong and would be delighted to be. Looking over the alpha...ugh...it's just 3.5 still. Looks like their plan is to go with 3.5 (with the 4e stuff that they liked thrown in there) and evolving from there.

Interesting how they didn't shut the door on 4e completely....Almost as "if this doesn't work we still want in the door" ....

Wolfspider

Explorer
Gundark said:
Interesting how they didn't shut the door on 4e completely....Almost as "if this doesn't work we still want in the door" ....

Which is their right, should they choose. I imagine we will eventually see 4e material from them.

Cabled

First Post
Gundark said:

Of course they did, not all business ventures succeed and there comes a point when you stop throwing good money after bad and change direction. There's certainly nothing wrong with that. Though I would love to see Pathfinder succeed on it's own, choices in the marketplace are always a good thing. Except for HeroWorld...that game should never have happened.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Wolfspider said:
Which is their right, should they choose. I imagine we will eventually see 4e material from them.

And people keep forgetting that they will be seeing 4e material published by them -- from Necromancer Games! So working with Clark, who's one of the top OGL-experts in the biz, they can get an idea of how 3rd party 4e sales are from him, and decide accordingly.

Someone looking at this thread might get the impression that they're shooting themselves in the foot; someone looking at the sister thread in the General RPG forum might think Paizo just hit a virgin crude well. :)

thatdarnedbob

First Post
What a shame. I won't be able to buy any Paizo product without reading it cover to cover first to check whether it has too much useless 3.5 crunch. I like their storytelling, but won't be able to justify spending $20 on less than 80 pages of fluff.

Remove ads