• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Thurbane said:
Well, that's basically the point I was getting at. ;)

...I think maybe it might be best to let people rant their frustration in this thread, rather than rebuke them over their comments...but hey, I don't want to start any cyber brawls. I'll just move along...
Heh. Don't mind me, I just like to argue. :D

Agamon

Adventurer
Steel_Wind said:
I look...forward....to WotC's info session at this year's Gencon.

My guess is that whoever loses the lottery at the office in Renton is the one that has to do it this year.

Beause that is going to be one helluva hostile crowd in that room. Not a doubt in my mind.

Oh, man. And I thought I wanted to be at the '99 and 2000 GenCons...this one will beat them all!

LeifVignirsson

First Post
Wanted to join in on my remorse for seeing such a staple of the hobby go. I was always eagerly anticipating every Dragon I could get my hands on and Dungeon gave me all sorts of ideas to pester my fellow PC's with. Letting go of someone after 14+ years is tough, it is like seeing a friend go...

As far as the price goes, I pay $34.95 to $44.95 a month for a WotC product that might have 10 pages of material that I want. $20.26 (got the 2 day UPS ship rate for an extra 2 bucks) for a large amount of material I can use? No problem.

$243.12 for good material that comes to my door a year or $454 (reflecting tax for CA) for some less than fulfilling product that I might get to use once in a while? No brainer to me... More than happy to support Paizo, just means I don't eat a few fast food meals for the pay period... better for my health anyway... :heh:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
catsclaw227 said:
The claims of not liking online content, coming from people with 5000+ posts seems a bit [dis]ingenuous.

Call me an optimist, I think that everyone can benefit from this whole thing, eventually.

That first bit made me grin. Totally true. :)

I've seen a few posts from people who got their start with D&D via a Dragon that had a cool cover. That used to be one of the main vehicles for people getting into the hobby--back when "hobbyist" was a subclassification of people, and folks regularly went into FLGSs.

Well, it's not like that anymore. Gamers/nerds have pretty much won the culture war (see Lost, Heroes, Spiderman (the movie), 300, LotR, 24, CSI, Star Wars, etc. etc.): sixty-nine percent of American heads of households play computer & video games. Sure, some small sliver of people would continue to get into the hobby via a Drag mag--but as a percentage of the huge population of new gamers who get into it via a friend or an online link, that sliver is barely measurable.

The reality is that the vast majority of us buy our games (and interact with our community) online. We spend way, way more hours posting on boards and IMing than we do actually talking with other people face-to-face. Just look at the bottom of the main ENWorld messageboard--this place has 50,000 members. That's more than twice the attendance of Gencon, and the people here stick around 365/days a year!

So, it just makes sense for WotC to follow their customers online. Frankly, I was getting a little worried that they waited this long: 8.5 million people worldwide are paying to play WoW each month--the 2 million in the US alone generate $3.3 million dollars a month from that single online role playing game. I mean, come on. How could WotC, as owner of the oldest and most-beloved rpg brand, have waited this long to follow their customers?

I support WotC gathering the Dragon and Dungeon licenses back in-house and devoting a big team to real online development. They've messed up with digital products in the past--everyone knows that--but I'm optimistic about what they can do. Many of the old-school R&D guys are still at the reigns of D&D. The company is producing exciting new mechanics like what we've seen in Star Wars Saga Edition and Book of Nine Swords. I can't help but look forward to what they've got cooking*.

-z

* Paizo, too. Those guys have grown from a small mag publisher to the biggest (and best) hobby store on the Internet, with new book, games, and periodical initiatives. I can't wait to see what they do now that they don't have to spend time and resources on Dragon and Dungeon, and can instead pursue their own projects.

Last edited:

haus48

Explorer
I am having a hard time figuring out the pathfinder idea. It seems to be a world/setting/adventure book rather than a magazine. Do you think that they are trying a new business model? I do not see Paizo creating a new spin off world on its own and trying to market that. I do see it trying to do something like a MMORP model. Monthly subscription so you get the latest updates on the world. Enough people share in the same world so players and DMs could switch groups and still be similar enough to work it out for the next adventure supplement. WoTC's website could be a meeting place (trade gear, meet new gaming groups). Paizo is OGL so they can find/create new iconic monsters that WoTC can then create collectable minis for. WoTC puts out quarterly patches... I mean gaming supplements to canonize the popular material becoming the de facto "best of" publisher which is more lucrative. Monthly subscription payments do make it easier on corporate bottom lines than variable book sales and due to the economies of scale 20 dollar subscription rates can fund a lot of game designers. This could be the future 4th edition. OGL subscription houses for a few world building companies with wizards making minis and rule collections to stimulate its profit margins and a subscription website as a official meeting/trading board for players. I do not know if it would work but how many of us honestly spend money each month out of inertia for things we don't really use (gym memberships, the other 100 channels on cable, gaming books we have not used one rule out of yet).

Remove ads