Pathfinder 2E Paizo Shares Color Covers Of Pathfinder Remaster

GM and Player Core hardcover art by Wayne Reynolds

At Paizocon today, Paizo revealed the final color covers of two of the upcoming remastered core rulebooks.

IMG_9208.jpeg

Retreater

Legend
No indication on the trade dress that these are different versions than og 2nd ed?
Yep. So some people who haven't been following Pathfinder are going to accidently purchase the Core Rulebook and Player Core. Which is doubling up on some content.
Same issue is going on with Old School Essentials. Figuring out which books you need to play that game are probably the most frequently asked questions on their social media. (More than any rules questions.)
I guess the only "benefit" is that (I think) they're going to stop printing the old books, so eventually this just becomes "the standard" rulebook versions to get.

Ghal Maraz

Adventurer
Yep. So some people who haven't been following Pathfinder are going to accidently purchase the Core Rulebook and Player Core. Which is doubling up on some content.
Same issue is going on with Old School Essentials. Figuring out which books you need to play that game are probably the most frequently asked questions on their social media. (More than any rules questions.)
I guess the only "benefit" is that (I think) they're going to stop printing the old books, so eventually this just becomes "the standard" rulebook versions to get.
Well, that seems quite par for the course in RPG-land. The newer tends to simply substitute the older.

The Remastered books will soon be the only PF2 core manuals around, so there shouldn't be much confusion going on any longer.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ah yes, I forgot PF2 is remaking their dragons to shed that element of the OGL. The classic chromatic and metallics are being replaced with two each for each of the four source of magic (arcane, divine, occult, and primal) for a total of eight new dragons. (This is assuming I read this somewhere and didn’t just dream it.)
Honestly, the fact that so many other fantasy games use the D&D breakdown is depressing. It's not a terribly interesting arrangement and it certainly shouldn't be the basis for all dragons in gaming. Do new stuff! Give us new ideas!

Kaodi

Hero
I think one of the biggest weaknesses of chromatic and metallic dragon art has been that the dragons tend to be so... monochromatic. Like, there is no variation or pattern within their scales, and no little meaningful variation between specimens. Like, we could use more dragon art where the wyrms are all the same kind but different .

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I enjoyed Wayne’s art in the 2008-2012ish time frame when he did magazine covers and PF. But kinda like some comic book artist I used to like, my enjoyment of his style ebbs right now. Having said that though my group always liked when I used his Dm screen PF iconics cause they liked looking at the classes/heroes.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads