• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Palace of the Silver Princess - your experiences?

Arnwyn

First Post
I just finished DMing this one (having easily converted it to 3.xe) - using the old orange cover one.

The party was tasked to find and retrieve a vial of water (the MacGuffin) from the garden on the 2nd level and give it back to Lamdomon (the traveling tinker guy)... and they were also told about the Heart of the Lady gem to really get them going.

Now, my players are not all that competent, so they struggled. They were a group of six 2nd level characters - and they did okay through much of the first level, but had a hard time with the bears in the cave section as well as with a few random encounters. They missed a bunch of things (like the two girl thieves mentioned above) but they did manage to find the magical silver sword in the hexagonal bath rooms. They also fought the bubbles (and had a great time doing so) as well as the madman Travis (making short work of him, but missed his entire treasure stash). Unfortunately, they didn't make it to the second level - they gave up in the caves near the prison cells after fighting a lurker above, and left for other adventures.

Sadly, it's not going to get any easier for those boobs.

WSmith

First Post
Eleventh thread of a series on the old classic Dungeons & Dragons adventure modules. It is interesting to see how everyone's experiences compared and differed.

Darn. I would have liked to read thread 1-10. Is there a list of them somewhere?

Style

Explorer
I've been through this adventure both as player and as DM. I don't remember much of my playing experience, except that we gave Travis a sound thrashing. My fighter from those days is 16th level now but still carries that cool throwing dagger of Travis'.

As DM, I also recall Duchess and Candella. There were two PC thieves in the group (Soulkicker and, um, Acid Popper Caligula Caesar) who took an immediate liking to the girls and invited them to join the party. I don't recall what happened to Candella but Duchess and Soulkicker settled down and raised kids (their grandchild was played by Soulkicker's player in a later campaign - he wound up getting married in the Palace, which was kinda nice). Soulkicker also managed to get himself dyed purple somewhere during this adventure too, iirc...

The decapus was cool but it was the vampire roses that really freaked my players out - bleeding to death mere feet from salvation is always a good way to raise the chills. I also recall one group marauding about the place with glee, smashing all the statues of petrified palace inhabitants.

Cool adventure. Almost as much replay value as the glory that is Castle Amber...

Richards

Legend
I ran it for my two players, each running two 1st-level PCs.

They were all killed by bubbles.

Most. Embarrassing. Deaths. EVER!

Johnathan

S'mon

Legend
I ran the banned/pdf version updated to 3e a couple years ago at the start of my 3e GMing. Most embarrassing bit was when I showed the players a pic of what their PCs saw in the room - ugly men tormenting poor damsel - only for 1 player to point out the words:
The Illusion of the Decapus
at the bottom... *sigh*

Silver Moon

Adventurer
My first gaming group did this one, and it was run by my first DM. She did a great job of describing all of the detail in this dungeon which really made it come to life for us. I don't recall all that much of the plot, except that it seemed to tie in to an ancient love story. Some of that may have been added by the DM though.

Aeric

Explorer
Ah, yes. That was the second D&D product I ever bought (the first was the red box Basic Set). I ran that module for a couple of different groups, one of which was a bunch of family members including my parents, grandparents, aunt, uncle, and a couple of cousins. I was 11 or 12 at the time and they were mainly humoring me, but still.... I think I still have it somewhere, along with the original print of Keep on the Borderlands.

Absolutely loved this adventure! I remember that I had a thief character that had a thing for one of the female thieves. He was heart broken when she was thrown out a window by a bugbear. :(

Remove ads