• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin Profession

Bozidar

First Post
I have a 9th level human Paladin. I'm trying to come up with a good way for him to spend his time during a time-call that our DM is having. It's supposed to last 5 years. He has his reasons, it's for the advancement of the plot of the world that we're in, i'm not questioning that or giving him a hard time...

That being said, my paladin is not meant for what i'd consider a peaceful existance. He's a fighter. He's a warrior. He's built to kick ass. Unlike his wizard companion, there's not a lot that he can accomplish in what i'm dubbing "the off-season".

My DM said that he could sign up with the local army, and would likely excell and gain high notarity, but it's not what this character would do.

My solution is this:
Ryn will take a post at a local temple to Corellon. He'll server as a guard there, as well as train the younger Paladins in the Path.

That's the best i could do for a character with really no "profession" or "craft" skills. Does anyone have any better ideas? Does anyone know what a fair price for those services would be? He wouldn't require any payment except that he borrowed money from the aforementioned wizard companion, in order to buy a much needed upgraded longsword.

So other than military service, does anyone have any "peace time" suggestions for a paladin, to earn gold?

Trickstergod

First Post
Paladin's do what they do to help out their fellow man.

Depending on where he is, he could spend time trying to help out the homeless and destitute, working at an orphanage, perhaps, if the city is large enough to support one.

If he has any ranks in Knowledge (Religion), he could possibly play the role of a teacher or tutor of some kind, acting as a mentor to a nobles children, in the hopes of raising them to be upright and just leaders by imparting spiritual lessons upon them.

I'm sure there's more, but, at the moment, nothing else is coming to mind.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
2 years exploring crypts and chasing down goblin raiders--generally fighting low-threat level foes which granted him little experience. Then, he was ambushed, captured, and spent two years as a slave in the goblin-pits before he escaped. The last year was spent getting to freedom.

Or, one year courting the daughter of the duke, six months waiting for the wedding, the rest of the time, living at court and enjoying your honeymoon.

Or you could spend 2 years on a pilgrimage to a faraway shrine, 1 year lost on an island after your ship was shipwrecked halfway there, and the remaining two years in contemplation in a monastery.

Or, you could spend the time disguised as a farmer/private in the army, working on the virtue of humility and/or avoiding the advances of a powerful and attractive but unscrupulous noblewoman/vampire.

Velmont

First Post
Bozidar said:
Ryn will take a post at a local temple to Corellon. He'll server as a guard there, as well as train the younger Paladins in the Path.

Does anyone know what a fair price for those services would be?

I find it quite a good thing for your Paladin, but if you are a true Paladin, you'll earn no gold during that time. A wage? The church would have better to do with this gold, and Paladin are so good hearted. A gift from a noble family which you trained the boy... no, it would be to the church... Healing the wounded? Always the same charitable Paladin. Hey, it is that being a Paladin... At least I would play it like that, but I'm sure to all those example, there is a way to get a few copper (not telling gold) and staying honorable and charitable.

Velmont

Trainz

Explorer
Re: Re: Paladin Profession

I play a Paladin that sings and plays the mandolin. I could see him entertain the poor, and make the rich pay, so to give to the poor afterwards...

Now for a little highjack:

Velmont said:
I find it quite a good thing for your Paladin, but if you are a true Paladin, you'll earn no gold during that time. A wage? The church would have better to do with this gold, and Paladin are so good hearted. A gift from a noble family which you trained the boy... no, it would be to the church... Healing the wounded? Always the same charitable Paladin. Hey, it is that being a Paladin... At least I would play it like that, but I'm sure to all those example, there is a way to get a few copper (not telling gold) and staying honorable and charitable.

From the SRD:"Code of Conduct: A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.
Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.
"

Nowhere does it say that a Paladin cannot earn a wage. Hell ;), the Paladin better earn money, buy better items, so that he can become more powerful and protect inocents. He's no good to the innocent dead. If the Paladin doesn't understand that, he's lawful-stupid.

Thresher

First Post
he's lawful-stupid.

They make paladins with brains these days? Back in my day Intelligence was the dump stat :D

Lots of things to do as a paladin.
Convert pagan scum to the way of the one true god (yours) and being nice to the poor people.
Charity work, youve got that charisma stat for more than leaning on a wall and looking pretty, get people motivated to better their communities, start workshops, build defences, churches and orphanages.
Find a crusade, failing that, start a crusade against them funny people over in the next hill/town/country and convert the pagan scum.

Kugar

First Post
How about taking a vow of poverty, placing his current gear in the care of the church and spending time ministering to the people. Traveling the lands, righting wongs, investigating rumors, and reconnecting with the people he spent so much time saving the world for all while developing strength of character.

Bozidar

First Post
Re: Re: Paladin Profession

Velmont said:

Velmont
IMO there is a departure from the spirit of paladins, and what you describe. A paladin is generous, not completely selfless. As i said, or think i said above, the real reason he needs a wage is to repay a debt. It would be very dishonorable to not pay a debt..

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads