Paladins and the Mentally Instable People that Play Them

jollyninja

First Post
The crazy paladin player is a new one on me. I know a guy who uses heroic characters from the stories of his faith as inspiration on how to play a paladin and has said that in a fantasy midieval world that is the niche he would see himself fitting into but i would say it just makes him really good at playing paladins. His other favorite archetype is the morally ambiguous wizard.

creepy guy who only plays hot elf chicks got thrown out of my game years ago, good to hear he has found other people to game with :D

Edit: Also, I play paladin's often and they tend to be ultra pious to the point of coming quite close to falling on a session by session basis due to their intolerance of others who have less "moral fortitude". Not all of us are psycho, we just like that archetype over mr. goody two shoes.

Last edited:

Jeff Wilder said:
I'll just keep repeating it: "I am lucky ... I game with normal people. I am lucky ... I game with normal people."

Nod, me too. I've seen lots of paladins, but never a crazy player.

tzor

First Post
I have been playing since 1980 and I've seen all sorts of people playing paladins. Some good, some bad and some downright ugly. But I don't think it is the class, because I've probably seen the same types play other characters as well. It just seems more obvious with the paladin class.

My best & worst examples literally occured at the same time. He (the player) suffered from an extreeme case of male superiority complex. I swear his alignment was Lawful Macho and that's pretty much how he played his paladin. There's a reason why some paladins are called "bucket heads" you know. He was it.

She, on the other hand, was wonderfully normal in every way. She played her paladin in a way that people would say with pride, "she is a paladin." Strength and kindness, justice and mercy, all with a smile.

Needless to say he hated her guts - no not the characters - this went to the level of the players. So when he blew the equivalent of a sense motive roll (this was a 2E game) and started heading in the wrong direction for his quest, he, the player, literally exploded in argument with her when she tried to help him. The player's ego got in the way. As a result she quit the game. He left shortly thereafter.

The biggest problem with people who play paladins is that they assume that the paladin is some sort of divine fighter, a fighter for their diety. This has been common for ages, so common in fact that whole rule variations are based around the notion. (Paladins for other alignments are a prime example.) It's taken me a while for this to really sink in; that's not a paladin.

Paladin's are paragons of alignment, first of goodness, then of law. Yes they are often fiercely devoted to deity and a faith but that's because of the law thing. I would go so far as to say that a Paladin's code overrides that of the code of the deity. (As the code is the paragon of both law and good it is clearly superior in every way.) If a paladin isn't at times annoying either the neutral good deity with his dicipline, or the lawful neutral deity with his goodness he's not playing the class to it's fullest potential.

Side note about evil. I would never claim to be a paladin in real life, never had the lawful part of the requirement. (I'm clearly neutral with lawful tendecies.) But I did have a strange experience once. When I lived in Key West, Florida I once entered a recently opened new age shop. The person behind the counter was the typical youthful girl who was bored behind the counter but needed the money. I had the stangest feeling I was not welcome, not by her, she wasn't paying attention, but by the store. It was like I was a drop of oil in a jar of water and the store was trying to isolate me from itself. I left the store. Whether or not there was "evil" in the store I can't and won't say, only it was the strangest experience I've ever had.

Torm

Explorer
tzor said:
I had the stangest feeling I was not welcome, not by her, she wasn't paying attention, but by the store. It was like I was a drop of oil in a jar of water and the store was trying to isolate me from itself. I left the store. Whether or not there was "evil" in the store I can't and won't say, only it was the strangest experience I've ever had.
Take this for what it is worth, but if I had to guess, I would say that that was probably your subconscious picking up on something, whether evil, per se, or not, that was either going to make you unhappy or possibly even put you in danger. I've met people and been places that provoked this reaction from me before, and some of them turned out to be okay as in "not evil" - but circumstances, and on a few occasions the people themselves, almost always end up making me wish I had heeded the warning, anyway.

I think you were wise to get on out of there.

kenobi65

First Post
mmu1 said:
A friend of mine loves to play Paladins. Claims they're his favorite class, and so on. The only problem is, he actually chooses to ignore the way D&D portrays Paladins, and his personal idea of how one should be played usually ends up as some kind of unholy cross between an angel of death and a bad movie portrayal of a member of the Inquisition.

Alas, it sounds like he's one of those folks who think that Marvel Comics' Punisher is a good template for Paladin. :p

Aaron L

Hero
Paladins have always been a big part of our games, not always included in every party, but pretty common. We've never had any problems with Paladins, ever. They tend to become the leaders and focus of a lot of quests, but we all know that going in and enjoy it.

Never had anything even remotely resembling all these Paladin horror stories I read about around here.

XO

First Post
Zinnnnnggggggg (sound of blade leaving scabbard)

airwalkrr said:
... the DM forced several unpalatable options at that point.

Some DMs really MUST take darkened streets and night time parking lots in consideration when doing such silly nonsense... :]

Particle_Man

Explorer
Torm said:
The same thing can be said about other classes - the Rogue, for example, offers the opportunity to indulge in immoralities forbidden in life - but generally people understand that is in fun, and I don't THINK I've ever met anyone inspired to a life of crime by playing a Rogue.

I've heard of one. A player's wife was invited to play 7th Sea and played a scheming Vodacce Merchant. Did a very good job at it, too.

And it turns out the wife left her husband, swindling him out of his life-savings, and was part of an organized crime family.

Although, once again, gaming didn't *make* her so...she was just playing what she knew best. :)

sckeener

First Post
I've played since 1980 and yes there is a problem with the class. The problem is with the concept, code, and religious backing of the class.

The same mechanic problem geared the barbarian in 1st edition to hate Magic Users.

The concept gears the class to be played by those that want to crusade. They will fight for a cause even against other players.

The code (and alignment) gives them a hammer known as core rules to smite other players...'look I'm just following my code' or 'I'm just using going by the LG alignment description) (I have the same problem with CN)

The religious backing defines everything in black and white for them.

Now the same problem existed for the barbarian in 1st edition...built in hate of magic. The cavet is that more people are ok with hate spreading paladins than with barbarians who hate magic. Hence it was easy to fix the barbarians....fewer people invested in the mechanic.

I prefer to use D20 modern's allegiance system. I think it solves some of my issues with the paladin.

Remove ads