• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Palladium Fantasy: Why the Hate?

Arashi Ravenblade said:
My only experience with it is TMNT, which I find to be un-playable.
I'm in much the same position, although I wouldn't say it was completely unplayable.

Managed to play it a few times, had some fun.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Arashi Ravenblade said:
Personally why play that game when I can play the superior D&D, any edition for that matter.

For some people it's as simple as armor doesn't make you harder to hit.

For others it's the classes.

Paradigm

First Post
pawsplay said:
I don't think there is hate. It's a fine game for its time. Although flawed, it's playable, and its game world is actually a first-class swords-and-sorcery setting. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who can get it cheap.

You may be thinking that Rifts-hate colors perceptions of PFRPG, but I don't think that's the case.

I find the above phrase somewhat amusing on a D&D board. D&D 3E is flawed yet playable, much as every system is.
I like Strike / Parry / Dodge as a combat resolution tactic. I like it so much that I adapt it to D&D play.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I've played in a number of Palladium campaigns over the years from Rifts to Fantasy to TMNT/After the Bomb, and while I rather despise the system and pray for an update the setting material is top-notch. I think a lot of the "hatred" for Palladium stems from people that don't just dislike or outright loathe the system or the wahoo-ness of Rifts, but for KS himself with his less than user friendly internet policies and his staunch blindness to see that the Palladium system needs an update.

IME, it's not just D&D players that don't tend to like Palladium. I've heard complaints about them from every walk of gamer out there...including some Palladium fans. ;)

DrunkonDuty

he/him
More love for old Palladium. It was good. The fluff was fantastic. Yes it has problems. Every game system does. I never played the 2nd ed vers. and I never liked the RIFTS or even the Supers versions of the game. But the old fantasy Palladium was cool. I might go so far as to say KEEWWL.

ANd I too would like to see the Strike/Parry/Dodge mechanic in D20. And in fact I think you'll find something very much it in Conan D20. Complete with armour sucking up damage. LOve for Conan d20 while I'm sending out the love.

Tetsubo

First Post
Arashi Ravenblade said:
Personally why play that game when I can play the superior D&D, any edition for that matter.

I prefer the much superior After The Bomb (Second Edition) to TMNT... The mutant animals creation rules rock...

Hussar

Legend
Hey, we had a blast with TMNT. I think it was more fun just making characters than actually playing... but, hey, we had fun.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Hussar said:
Hey, we had a blast with TMNT. I think it was more fun just making characters than actually playing... but, hey, we had fun.

I thought so too, once upon a time when we all knew the system.

But then I tried to run a game of it about two years ago with a group of players who had never played a post-Palladium Fantasy Palladium-style RPG. They all found chargen horribly frustrating.

Hussar

Legend
HellHound said:
I thought so too, once upon a time when we all knew the system.

But then I tried to run a game of it about two years ago with a group of players who had never played a post-Palladium Fantasy Palladium-style RPG. They all found chargen horribly frustrating.

Oh god yes. Hey, people whinge about how long it takes to make a 3e character - try making TMNT critters. :) Got a spare afternoon?

Remove ads