Pandemic: How will you continue to enjoy your hobbies?

gepetto

Explorer
Flu is 0.1% fatality rate. So corona is a lot more than 6.8x the rate. And has been pointed out so many times (not directed at you), there is no vaccine, and you are contagious for days before and after and have no symptoms. And 20% of cases require medical assistance. Way higher than any seasonal flu.

No thats false. firstly the average flu is .2 percent, not .1 fatality. Conona isnt a 3% either. We have 2k cases and 48 deaths. Thats 0.024%. Just about the same as the average flu.

Second It has a 10% hospitalization rate, not a 20%.

You have to remember when your looking at those global numbers that its badly skewed by countries like china and iran where people have poor hygiene habits, less sanitization and crap medical systems and lower survival rates from everything in general. Their regular flu deaths and hospitalizations each year are much higher then ours too.

Sacrosanct

Legend
No thats false. firstly the average flu is .2 percent, not .1 fatality.

Source? Because the CDC has it at .1%

Conona isnt a 3% either. We have 2k cases and 48 deaths. Thats 0.024%. Just about the same as the average flu.

We don't even know what the rate is in the US because we're still not testing for it. Bad data. If you're going to disagree with medical professional estimates, you better have strong objective data to back that up. Even the most positive outlooks considering those who had it but were never identified puts the rate at 1%. 10x higher than the flu.

Second It has a 10% hospitalization rate, not a 20%.

Wrong. Even your own source says 15%. And that's only just looking at China. Most estimates using global data has it closer to 20%.

You have to remember when your looking at those global numbers that its badly skewed by countries like china and iran where people have poor hygiene habits, less sanitization and crap medical systems and lower survival rates from everything in general. Their regular flu deaths and hospitalizations each year are much higher then ours too.

Wrong again. For regular flu, Iran is the same as South Korea (19.67 compared to 19.84), and Italy is 8.15. Frankly, it looks like you're making up numbers based on racist stereotypes.

Maybe if you look at the actual data, you wouldn't make such dismissive and pithy responses like you did earlier.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Maybe if you look at the actual data, you wouldn't make such dismissive and pithy responses like you did earlier.

I agree with you, I have a son who is an engineer working in Shanghai, and he says they are only getting a couple of new cases there; in general, China is more high tech, and capable than the US.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
PSA: Any one of these comments would have earned a ban on rpg.net /s 🙃

Joking aside, the transmission of a virus like COVID-19 is best controlled by quarantine and enforced isolation, not any type of advanced technology held by the People's Republic which scientists and medical professionals in the United States do not have access to.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As to the original question of hobbies...

A friend of mine has been running his daughter and a couple of others through Dragon of Ice Spire Peak. We are apt to try some form of remote play on Friday. I don't know if he's going to try a virtual tabletop, or just go Theater of the Mind...

generic

As to the original question of hobbies...

A friend of mine has been running his daughter and a couple of others through Dragon of Ice Spire Peak. We are apt to try some form of remote play on Friday. I don't know if he's going to try a virtual tabletop, or just go Theater of the Mind...
An excellent replacement could be an online linear graph, let each point represent a character, and each trajectory show how the dragon's breath could engulf them!

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
China was not controlling this with tech.

Right. lol

They really were. While my son was sitting in his apartment with his gf (a Chinese engineer) playing vids and drinking top shelf liquor, to even get into his building, one had to pass a battery of tests, like security with electronic thermometers. Including hundreds of thousands of tests for the virus for anyone the thought that were exposed. They also built extra capacity to their hospitals in weeks. Last time he visited the US recently, he found it to look dirty and poor, and judging by the pictures of Shanghai he sends, I have a tendency to agree.

generic

Right. lol

They really were. While my son was sitting in his apartment with his gf (a Chinese engineer) playing vids and drinking top shelf liquor, to even get into his building, one had to pass a battery of tests, like security with electronic thermometers. Including hundreds of thousands of tests for the virus for anyone the thought that were exposed. They also built extra capacity to their hospitals in weeks. Last time he visited the US recently, he found it to look dirty and poor, and judging by the pictures of Shanghai he sends, I have a tendency to agree.
Such measures are, of course, superior to the methods employed by the United States, but, the immunity of the population does not rely on the immunity of a certain few or even on public checkpoints, it hinges on the isolation of the infected, and the restriction of social activity. The military response and immediate quarantine of entire towns and regions likely led to the fall in case occurrence in the People's Republic.

My post spoke in terms of medical technology such as vaccines, but the mention of monitor technology is notable.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Such measures are, of course, superior to the methods employed by the United States, but, the immunity of the population does not rely on the immunity of a certain few or even on public checkpoints, it hinges on the isolation of the infected, and the restriction of social activity. The military response and immediate quarantine of entire towns and regions likely led to the fall in case occurrence in the People's Republic.

My post spoke in terms of medical technology such as vaccines, but the mention of monitor technology is notable.

Technology in business is often called "knowledge capital" which is a good way to look at it in engineering to get things done as well. They were simply able to harness resources available, such as massive testing, then creating computer models to attack the vectors. Did they lock everything down? Yes, but they also effectively mobilized.

Remove ads