Parrying

Ferret

Explorer
Parrying
When ever someone attacks you and you have this ability active (activated as a non action at the end of you last turn), your armour class is treated as having a +6 deflection bonus. This enchantment only works on melee weapons. When this is used in conjunction with total defense the AC bonus is +8. Once it is used you sacrifice your highest attack bonus, from your next attack this symbolizes the action you took parrying on your opponents turn.

Caster Level: 8th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Bigby’s interposing hand; Market Price: +3 bonus

Improved Parrying
This ability can only added on to the parrying enchantment, thus it overlaps the effects of the previous enchantment. It does so by allowing an extra attack at their second lowest BAB. They can use this attack to Sunder and Disarm, Trip is not allowed as it is not an action that pertains to the speed of the action.

Caster Level: 8th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Bigby’s interposing hand; Market Price: +4 bonus

Complete(partially actually :)) revamped for the hell of it.

Visit Kreynolds thread

Aaron2

Explorer
Ferret said:
Parrying
When ever someone attacks you and you have this ability active (activated as a non action at the end of you last turn), your armour class is treated as having a +6 deflection bonus. This enchantment only works on melee weapons. When this is used in conjunction with total defense the AC bonus is +8. Once it is used you sacrifice your highest attack bonus, from your next attack this symbolizes the action you took parrying on your opponents turn.

Caster Level: 8th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Bigby’s interposing hand; Market Price: +3 bonus

I'm not sure about the wording of this. First off, a +6 deflection bonus is super nice (a ring of +5 deflection is 50,000 gp). However, you do take an effective -5 penalty to hit. How does this ability work if, for example, you aren't full attacking? Can a wizard hold a +1 dagger of Parrying (cost: 32,000 gp) get a +6 deflection bonus while casting spells? If you only make a normal attack (not a full attack) do you lose your only attack?

Aaron

If you want 'parry' as a combat thing, you really should address it not as a magical enhancement, but as a feat.

Your magical melee weapon enhancement rather closely resembles another (defending? or guardian? Can't recall) as well as being somewhat odd in some circumstances (the first of which is just being noted above)

As a feat:

Parry (General)
PreRequisite: Dex 15+, Weapon Finesse
Benefit: When using the full defense option in combat, they can gain their BAB to their AC as a deflection bonus. Each attack they apply this to cancels one attack in their next rnd. They can only apply a Parry to as many opponents attacks as they themselves have attacks. Thus, a fighter with a BAB 6/1 can parry up to two attacks, but cannot make attacks on his next action.
Special: This feat can only be used if the weapon used to parry is eligible ffor weapon finesse, and the character has weapon finesse in the weapon.

Improved parry (General)
Prerequisite: Parry
Benefit: A character can continue deflecting attacks even after using up all available attacks from their BAB.

You can fix the wording, if needed.

Of course, this also leads into a nice feat tree...

Parry & Riposte (General)
Prerequisite: Improved Parry
Benefit: A character making a parry can riposte. Make an attack roll at the highest BAB to hit the opponent whose attack you've deflected. If you hit, inflict normal damage without strength bonuses.

Also, Parry & Disarm or Parry & Bind (enters into grapple) would also be rather neat.

Staffan

Legend
I'm not a big fan of trying to model parries that way in D&D. You're already assumed to be parrying and defending and stuff. If you deviate from "default" parrying, this can be modeled in different ways:
  • General lack of defense, modeled by an AC penalty (e.g. barbarian rage).
  • Defenses drop momentarily, reflected by the other guy getting an AoO (e.g. spellcasting).
  • Defending more at the expense of offense, reflected by Fighting Defensively and/or Combat Expertise.

The_DarkAngel

First Post
Parrying is considered part of total defense. In any event this is a version I came up with some time back. Its play tested and works very well. try it out it you fancy.

Improved Parry [General]
You are adept at deflecting and countering attacks.
Prerequisite: Int 13, +4 base attack bonus.
Benefit: When using “total Defense” (described in the Player’s Handbook Combat section page 142) you gain an additional +1 to your AC (+2 if wielding a shield). If you move less than 5ft in a round and your opponents attack misses you by 10 or more points you may get one single counter attack at full attack bonus (treat a counter attack as a attack of opportunity). You can only counter attack once per round.
Special: You must be wielding a shield or a weapon in order to use this feat. A Fighter may select this feat as one of fighter Bonus feats.

DA

Ferret

Explorer
When I created it I hadn't meant to fill the void of a parrying lack, but make it so that the porr wizards friend can do it to with out useing a feat

Ferret said:
When I created it I hadn't meant to fill the void of a parrying lack, but make it so that the porr wizards friend can do it to with out useing a feat

You might possibly be better off just using readied actions then. The mage can enchant the armor for better defense (fortification enchantment, for example, or just plain extra deflection when used in conjunction with total defense, i.e. cheaper) and then the readied action would allow the mage's friend an attack if he is hit.

Remove ads