• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Passive skills

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Yes, but if there is one secret door, (or one lock, or whatever), then it's the same thing. But a fine point nonetheless.
Thanks!

:)

It's not the same, though.
If there is only one lock, you would set a DC and call for an ability check, or you would assume that a character spending ten times the normal amount of time it takes to pick the lock automatically succeeds.
Passive checks don't come into play in this scenario.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I understand passive checks and retries to be different things.

A passive check represents the average result for a task done repeatedly, such as searching for secret doors over and over again as you make your way through a dungeon.
A passive check does not represent the average result for repeated attempts at the same task, such as searching for a specific secret door that you've already failed to spot.

Does that make sense?

The game expects that with enough attempts and enough time, a character will eventually succeed at a task, so we can assume that a character spending ten times the normal amount of time needed to search for that specific secret door ultimately succeeds (see DMG, 237).

As iserith mentioned, the players can trade time for success, which is exactly how 3rd Edition's take 20 works.

I understand the difference, but this only highlights my problem with it. You should not be able to trade time for success in most instances. It makes the game too easy outside of combat (and it is already too easy in combat, too!) imo. Overcoming the chance of failure is an important part of the fun. If you can simply trade time to take 20 on all your knowledge checks, rumour hunting, social interactions, climbing, setting up an ambush, and so = boring (for me).

Don't get me wrong. If you don't want a check, and the PCs need the info, or need to get past the magic lock or whatever - just give it to them (ideally, you don't let the adventure reach such a choke point in the first place). They do it. But that is different to implementing the passive/take 10 or take 20 rules. One is the GM moving the game forward. The other turns the party into an infallible skill monkey machine that needs artificial time pressures to generate any meaningful risk.

When you get right down to the nub of it, I think my objection is that if there is no meaningful risk, you could handwave the entire scene and the outcome would be the same. There is something off putting about that for me. My adventurer could just as easily not have been present and the same result would have occurred. But if there is a roll involved, that I have to actively make, then somehow that makes me feel like I contributed to the success of the scene. I am not sure I am explaining it well?

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I understand the difference, but this only highlights my problem with it. You should not be able to trade time for success in most instances. It makes the game too easy outside of combat (and it is already too easy in combat, too!) imo. Overcoming the chance of failure is an important part of the fun. If you can simply trade time to take 20 on all your knowledge checks, rumour hunting, social interactions, climbing, setting up an ambush, and so = boring (for me).

Don't get me wrong. If you don't want a check, and the PCs need the info, or need to get past the magic lock or whatever - just give it to them (ideally, you don't let the adventure reach such a choke point in the first place). They do it. But that is different to implementing the passive/take 10 or take 20 rules. One is the GM moving the game forward. The other turns the party into an infallible skill monkey machine that needs artificial time pressures to generate any meaningful risk.

When you get right down to the nub of it, I think my objection is that if there is no meaningful risk, you could handwave the entire scene and the outcome would be the same. There is something off putting about that for me. My adventurer could just as easily not have been present and the same result would have occurred. But if there is a roll involved, that I have to actively make, then somehow that makes me feel like I contributed to the success of the scene. I am not sure I am explaining it well?
I understand you.

It's important to remember that trading time for success assumes multiple attempts, which is at the DM's discretion.
Personally, I wouldn't allow you to "take 20" on a knowledge check unless you had access to resources for research, or on rumor hunting unless you had access to the right crowds. I'd never allow you to "take 20" in social interactions because failure has consequences, etc.

One of the core conceits of 5th Edition is that the game assumes competence. The characters are able and expected to succeed at most things, barring any mitigating circumstances.

(And don't look down your nose at time pressure, which is one of the most vicious and delicious monsters of all!)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

The rules say you can trade time for success only in some cases. It doesn't apply to all tasks as you seem to imply here.

Time pressures are no more artificial in the game than every other thing we imagine is going on in the fictitious setting.

Spending extra time on a task is, in my games at least, a risk due to the time constraints that are in place. Sure, you can get that lock open if you take 10 minutes working on it, but I make wandering monster checks every 10 minutes in this dungeon, so do you want to risk it? It also brings you 10 minutes closer to the ziggurat collapsing or whatever.

I don't see how a check makes you feel like you contributed. I think it's the decisions the players make that is at the heart of their contribution. The check (passive or otherwise) just resolves uncertainty as to the outcome of those decisions.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I don't see how a check makes you feel like you contributed. I think it's the decisions the players make that is at the heart of their contribution. The check (passive or otherwise) just resolves uncertainty as to the outcome of those decisions.
Coz when you roll and succeed, that was YOUR roll. Not someone else's, yours, and you take ownership of it. Rolling is half the fun for me, and I suspect most TRPG gamers. Yeah, I know, it's dumb luck, but when you cast the die by your hand, it somehow becomes your dumb luck. You know what I mean.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Coz when you roll and succeed, that was YOUR roll. Not someone else's, yours, and you take ownership of it. Rolling is half the fun for me, and I suspect most TRPG gamers. Yeah, I know, it's dumb luck, but when you cast the die by your hand, it somehow becomes your dumb luck. You know what I mean.

Yeah, the die rolling isn't that important to us. I get what you're saying, that 20 (or 1) has an immediate effect on folks. But for skills we usually rely on rolls if the role-playing has failed to determine whether there's a success or not. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that I've been DMing for 35+ years, when you didn't have skills or skill checks. If you wanted to find a secret door or a trap, then you'd explain how you were looking for it and I'd determine based on that. You didn't have to describe the exact thing that I was thinking. But something that would give you a clue, and lead to another clue, etc.

It's the role-playing that you own. That's a unique contribution to the game that nobody else can make. You don't have to do it in character, describing what you do, what you're trying to accomplish, etc. is fine. But it's all of this type of input that makes the game interesting and unique.

Anybody can roll the die. And there are times where I'm rolling the dice for you. I'm guessing you're one of those folks that doesn't like the DM rolling in secret, in particular rolling your check in secret. We like that, because there's a certain type of uncertainty that you can't get if you know you just rolled a 6 instead of a 16. Another part of that mystery is the question of how long it will take for success.

My goal is to be able to model whatever scene I want within the ruleset. We tweak things a bit for that purpose. Do the rules support scenes like James Bond climbing the cliff in For Your Eyes Only? If you can't retry, then no. On the other hand, if you have to keep checking every 10', then it gets tedious. Much of the climb is within his climbing skill set. You could require a skill check for each piton he places, but unless there's a real reason to do so (he's climbing sandstone for example), there isn't much point. It's within his Passive skill, you go with it. If he falls, you can make a check to see if it holds, or you can assume it does, and worry about the skill, time, discovery, and exhaustion of climbing back up.

There are a few difficult portions, and of course it becomes more difficult when the guard is trying to make him fall. So skill checks can be called for at key times, but the rest of the time the passive skill applies.

I'd split it up into chunks, with a difficult section, requiring a skill check, but success is more likely than failure. That is, unless you failed by at least 5, I'd just go with the time penalty, which would increase your chance of being detected. Failure by 5 to 10 would probably mean you are stuck, and can't move forward. Again I'd assign a time penalty, and you'd need to make another check to move forward, or go back and try to find another route. Failure by more than 10 would be a fall, or other major setback. Of course, with the rope you would most likely not fall to your death, but then you'd be in a situation that would be harder to get out of. Again, I'd stick with one check, and only significant failure (by 10 or more) would be a major problem. Otherwise it would just be a time thing.

I might add in some saving throws to avoid suffering a level of exhaustion.

But the entire climb would be a combination of passive skill checks, active skill checks (with various degrees of failure, usually focused on things becoming more difficult), greater chances of discovery, and things like that. There could be a lot of other potential challenges, consequences by failures, and things like that. But this is a good example of something that's within their skill set, not to mention that the consequences are very severe (likely death) if they actually fall when they fail. I won't remove that possibility entirely, but it would have to be a very significant failure. If it came to that, they'd probably get a Dexterity saving throw to catch themselves as well.

So the individual die rolls would have some importance, but the reality is that there are a lot of other things, particularly descriptions from me, and decisions by the players, that would ramp up the suspense as much, if not more, than the actual skill checks. To me it's easy to get tied up in the details (in this case the die rolls) when having a conversation like this. But it's the big picture, the event as a whole that has the biggest impact.

I've tried a number of times (as has WotC and others) to come up with a skill system that has the same concept of incremental success and failure as combat. But they tend to be overcomplicated, and more importantly, too intrusive on the game. That's our preference of course, but if we're going to stop the action for a die roll, we'd like it to be worth it. Passive abilities help avoid too many die rolls.

Using a Passive Skill is not hand-waving the scene. It's still the character's skill, and the amount of effort the character has put into training combined with natural ability, that's put them into a place with a likelihood of success. They should be rewarded for that. They will still have times where a check is required, it just means that they will be overcoming more difficult obstacles, and likely obstacles that they couldn't handle at a lower level. But while Bond is climbing those areas that he's able to using his Passive ability doesn't mean that there isn't a risk. Your description is a big part of the action, and just because he's able to climb it, doesn't mean he'll do so undetected. The time itself is a big risk, and the scene is still exciting.

Ilbranteloth

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Thanks!

It's not the same, though.
If there is only one lock, you would set a DC and call for an ability check, or you would assume that a character spending ten times the normal amount of time it takes to pick the lock automatically succeeds.
Passive checks don't come into play in this scenario.

Actually, that's incorrect. Taking 10 means you trade time to get a 10 + modifiers. This is the same as a Passive skill check RAW.

Taking 20 means you trade more time to get a 20 + modifiers.

Neither Taking 10 or 20 guarantee success. They guarantee a certain die roll. The total must be high enough based on the DC.

Ilbranteloth

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Actually, that's incorrect. Taking 10 means you trade time to get a 10 + modifiers. This is the same as a Passive skill check RAW.

Taking 20 means you trade more time to get a 20 + modifiers.

Neither Taking 10 or 20 guarantee success. They guarantee a certain die roll. The total must be high enough based on the DC.

Ilbranteloth

See DMG page 237 for the rule for granting automatic success if the PC spend 10 times the amount of time on the task than normal. It doesn't apply to all things, but it's a rule of thumb the DMG suggests. There is no "Taking 10" or "Taking 20" in D&D 5e. A check occurs - passive or otherwise - if and when the DM deems the result of the task to be uncertain. In some cases, spending 10 times the amount of time on the task as normal removes any uncertainty. As a result, no check applies.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
See DMG page 237 for the rule for granting automatic success if the PC spend 10 times the amount of time on the task than normal. It doesn't apply to all things, but it's a rule of thumb the DMG suggests. There is no "Taking 10" or "Taking 20" in D&D 5e. A check occurs - passive or otherwise - if and when the DM deems the result of the task to be uncertain. In some cases, spending 10 times the amount of time on the task as normal removes any uncertainty. As a result, no check applies.

They actually are in 5e, they just don't call them that. But we've also been discussing them as alternate mechanics.

Passive skills are identical to the old Take 10. That is, you assume the average roll (10) and add the modifiers. The PHB also indicates this "Such a check can represent the average result for a task done repeatedly, such as searching for secret doors over and over again..."

Retries = automatic success replaces Take 20, because it's also essentially the same mechanic. The downside is that when it's not tied to a number (20 + modifier), it makes it harder to recognize if it's appropriate. With the new bounded accuracy mechanics, there's a general assumption that there are very few things that are beyond the capabilities of the characters. So this is just a simplification of the old rule.

Ilbranteloth

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads