Pathfinder 1e and Immortal Handbook Ascension

randomkingcrab

Villager
Since I imagine many of you have played with Pathfinder 1st edition probably, was just curious of the interaction of the system with Mythic Adventures (Yes I know Mythic can be pretty ridiculous), anything that I should look for or advice in general when using PF and Immortal Handbook? or would you recommend to just stick to Immortal Handbook conventions and not use Mythic?

Howdy randomkingcrab! :)

Since I imagine many of you have played with Pathfinder 1st edition probably, was just curious of the interaction of the system with Mythic Adventures (Yes I know Mythic can be pretty ridiculous), anything that I should look for or advice in general when using PF and Immortal Handbook? or would you recommend to just stick to Immortal Handbook conventions and not use Mythic?

I know there are people on here that use both, but even though I own the Mythic Adventures book I can't personally say how well the two overlap. But I am interested to hear from the others how compatible they both are.

I think the +10 extra levels approach is a double-edged sword.

On the positive side, you can be super specific with class extensions, its almost certainly better balanced (because the math is kept lower) and the whole thing will just have a 'crisper' focus.

On the negative side exactly what are you doing at Level 30 you weren't already doing at Level 20? The monsters might be "slightly" tougher, the spells are "slightly" more powerful, the scale of everything is "slightly" bigger. To me its not necessarily enough to make me sit-up and go "Wow! Now THAT'S Epic!!"

Reading posts from other guys here, part of the fun and enthusiasm about my 'rules' seems to be the utter ridiculousness of how truly EPIC things can get. Its THAT preposterous-ness that makes something epic. I still believe some of the guys here are crazy (in the best way) in that the math at the super-high levels, the sheer amount of abilities and powers seems overwhelming on the face of it. But the people who enjoy this niche within a niche seem to love it, so I must have done something right.

To circle back around; I completely support Epic rules, Mythic levels and whatever other similar sources out there exist. Yet when you put a cap on something my imagination is already thinking...well what happens BEYOND these limitations.

Obly99

Hero
Hello I'm play PF1 and have combined the mythic and Immortal Handbook. I create the Homebrew that Divine Rank give an equivalent similar mythic rank but none of the mythic abilities or passive abilities of the Mythic Heroes (Mythic Heroes – d20PFSRD). I'll explain. I take inspiration from the Great Old One subtype:
Mythic (Su) A Great Old One has Mythic Power (10/day, Surge +1d12) and counts as a 10th-rank Mythic creature. A Great Old One can use any of its spell-like abilities as the Mythic versions of those spells (if a Mythic version of that spell exists), expending Mythic Power as normal. It can also expend Mythic Power to use the augmented versions of these spell-like abilities.

So I created the following homebrew: a divine rank (or equivalent) count as an equal value of mythic rank but not vice versa. Quasi deities and below count with a mythic rank equal to their divine rank. Demi deities count with a mythic rank equal to their divine rank except when they are in their divine realm, which then they count as mythic 10. A lesser deity and higher always has mythic rank 10 or equal to its divine rank (whichever is greater), even when it manifests itself outside of its divine realm. For them I had the uses of mythic power scaled as they scale weapon dice (not using EB progression but standard).
Ex: Mythic (Ex): Surtur (Elder One, Divine Rank 24) has Mythic Power (24/day, Surge +8d6) and counts as a 24th-rank Mythic creature. Surtur can use any of his Alter Reality and spell-like abilities effect as the Mythic versions of those spells (if a Mythic version of that spell exists), expending Mythic Power as normal. It can also expend Mythic Power to use the augmented versions of these spells.

Surge Progression
10 1d12 (2d6)

13 3d6

16 4d6

19 6d6

22 8d6

25 12d6

28 16d6

31 20d6

34 24d6

37 28d6

40 32d6

43 36d6

47 40d6

51 44d6

54 48d6

57 52d6

60 56d6

63 60d6

For the mythic abilities, a creature can take an Universal path ability (or from an unique Path specific for every creature, like Archmage) with a Divine Ability but for obvious cannot take abilities already existing in Divine or Cosmic form like Beyond Morality (you take Apostasy). When a creature reach the rank of Sidereal (or equivalent in power) can take path abilities from every path without limitation.

I have played a lot of Pathfinder 1e, and am still playing it, but I have no idea what the Immortal Handbook is.
OK, now I've re-read the thread title (or read it properly for the first time :)) and it is Immortals Handbook: ASCENSION and per Drivethru it's a d20 product from 2008 that deals with the D&D 3.5 Epic Rules.

There's no reason why you couldn't use it with the Mythic rules, but since the Mythic Rules make it very easy to break the Pathfinder system during levels 1 to 20, adding on levels 21+ will be going for maximum craziness.

Obly99

Hero
OK, now I've re-read the thread title (or read it properly for the first time :)) and it is Immortals Handbook: ASCENSION and per Drivethru it's a d20 product from 2008 that deals with the D&D 3.5 Epic Rules.

There's no reason why you couldn't use it with the Mythic rules, but since the Mythic Rules make it very easy to break the Pathfinder system during levels 1 to 20, adding on levels 21+ will be going for maximum craziness.
This is the subforum Eternity Publishing that is the creator/publisher of the Immortal Handbook. We have creature with 1000+ HD that inflict 50.659.236.000 damage with a full-round attack. The Mythic system it's broken, but not too many broken from your standard (except Mythic Vital Strike as it's written raw).

This is the subforum Eternity Publishing that is the creator/publisher of the Immortal Handbook. We have creature with 1000+ HD that inflict 50.659.236.000 damage with a full-round attack. The Mythic system it's broken, but not too many broken from your standard (except Mythic Vital Strike as it's written raw).
OOPs, sorry! That'll teach me for not looking which forum this was posted in.

That seems like the perfect situation for using the Mythic rules.

Hey amethal! :)

...and re-released a few days ago with updated art, 64 extra pages and the ability to get a print version. ;)

As Obly99 already answered, I think breaking the Pathfinder System with the Mythic Rules is of trivial concern when you are dealing with monsters that potentially dish out 50 billion damage per round.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
To be perfectly honest, I don't think that Pathfinder 1E's mythic rules mix well with the Immortal's Handbook. While at first blush the two seem to work well together, they're both trying to operate in largely the same thematic area (i.e. "beyond what mortals can do"), but have different ways of going about it under the framework of the rules. I suspect that the end result is that they'd get in each other's way, clashing rather than being complementary.

For instance, several mythic powers offer enhanced effects against non-mythic foes (e.g. a Hierophant's recall blessing power, the Archmage's arcane surge power, etc.). That's literally everything in the IH Bestiary, which creates a power imbalance when the PCs are facing what should be higher-threat opponents. While this can presumably be solved by saying that anything with quintessence counts as a mythic creature, it's emblematic of the fact that there are many, many minor points where the two systems don't take each other's specifics into account (which is heightened by that being the case for 3.5 and PF1 as well), and I suspect that unless the GM can think very fast on his feet, these would interfere with the course of play.

That said, I do think it's possible to resolve the two systems and merge them into one, but you'd have to put some work into it, and I'm not sure the results would be worth the effort.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases