Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2e: is it RAW or RAI to always take 10 minutes and heal between encounters?

kayman

Explorer
And PF2 players , please , use Foundry VTT, create diversity on the scenes , give the free archetype and you will see the system works like a dream . Downtime , exploration , encounter , everything works perfect . Try the variant rules , chase , infiltration , etc, The game offer endless possibilities.

kayman

Explorer
unknown (1).png

And after vanquishing the serpent folks they hush to the temple of Ydersius ,(no 10 minutes rest) . It will be hard but they are Conservants and must defend the Magaambya and the city of Nantambu whatrever the cost . (Art Gabriel Pickard).

Retreater

Legend
I propose a debate between this guy (Cappzapp) and Logan or Mark on the design of RPG rules . Let us see how it goes.
I'm not the Capp, but I could certainly debate the design of the APs I've GMed. That would be widely off topic for this thread, but in the immortal words of Reggie Fils-Amie, "my body is ready" for anyone who wants to delve into those APs.
The system itself, I can't debate. People like what they like. I believe the system could be good (even if it's over-written and could've used a little simplification for my tastes).
But Age of Ashes and Abomination Vaults are poorly written APs. They do no favors to the system. I stand behind that. They actively killed any enjoyment that the system might've been able to provide.

kayman

Explorer
I'm not the Capp, but I could certainly debate the design of the APs I've GMed. That would be widely off topic for this thread, but in the immortal words of Reggie Fils-Amie, "my body is ready" for anyone who wants to delve into those APs.
The system itself, I can't debate. People like what they like. I believe the system could be good (even if it's over-written and could've used a little simplification for my tastes).
But Age of Ashes and Abomination Vaults are poorly written APs. They do no favors to the system. I stand behind that. They actively killed any enjoyment that the system might've been able to provide.
I ran both , AoA has its problems but it was expected (first AP), but AV , oh my , this was a blast from beggining to end . The Cthulhu vibe , the underdark , the dynamic of the creature inside ( I dispise the idea of roon full of monsters) . My players had to run from the cult of ghouls (chase rules + creativite +rp) . The dilema on the Otari town . And everything supported by the rules , never my players question a judge that i made (and despise some deniais without rules every gm is a dictator). "Abomination Vaults are poorly written APs." . I trust James Jacobs , the same person that gave us Age of Worms and a lot more ....

kayman

Explorer
I will never forget the tension on the game session when this happens .... Belcorra's death...

A terrible dark mist enters the room emanating from one of the portals. The fetid smell of voidbraken fills the environment. The mist changes shape and a seven-fingered tentacle can be discerned in the mist.

Belcorra realizing what is about to occur in desperation, no longer like the powerful sorceress of yore, but rather like a naive girl who was directed to this evil path...

"No! I deserve your power, not your attention! My death represents anger - not emptiness, not emptiness! I see The Goat with a Thousand Young" The eyes of empty death... Nhimbaloth she's coming, she's coming for me...help me...help me...naoooooooooooooooo!!!.

Nihimbaloth claims its prey... The tentacle grabs Belcorra and pulls her to Voidbraken...
Sorry for my bad english the original was on portuguese.

Retreater

Legend
I ran both , AoA has its problems but it was expected (first AP), but AV , oh my , this was a blast from beggining to end . The Cthulhu vibe , the underdark , the dynamic of the creature inside ( I dispise the idea of roon full of monsters) . My players had to run from the cult of ghouls (chase rules + creativite +rp) . The dilema on the Otari town . And everything supported by the rules , never my players question a judge that i made (and despise some deniais without rules every gm is a dictator). "Abomination Vaults are poorly written APs." . I trust James Jacobs , the same person that gave us Age of Worms and a lot more ....
Oh boy. I can rip Abomination Vaults apart. I'll direct you to this thread to start (since the hour is late and the bourbon has been imbibed): Pathfinder 2E - PF2: Second Attempt Post Mortem.

Synopsis of my opinion: Abomination Vaults is a poorly constructed dungeon crawl with no relevant background, character motivation, or urgency. It features inconsequential encounters, tiny rooms that don't allow good tactical movement, illogical design and layout that was trashed in the editorial stages, and absent of any sort of clues of what is inside.

It is little more than a collection of rooms with no purpose to tie them together, no motivation to go on the quest, no urgency for the plot. It's an assembly of meaningless encounters, forced into a Gamemastery flip-mat design ill-suited for a megadungeon.

kayman

Explorer
Oh boy. I can rip Abomination Vaults apart. I'll direct you to this thread to start (since the hour is late and the bourbon has been imbibed): Pathfinder 2E - PF2: Second Attempt Post Mortem.

Synopsis of my opinion: Abomination Vaults is a poorly constructed dungeon crawl with no relevant background, character motivation, or urgency. It features inconsequential encounters, tiny rooms that don't allow good tactical movement, illogical design and layout that was trashed in the editorial stages, and absent of any sort of clues of what is inside.

It is little more than a collection of rooms with no purpose to tie them together, no motivation to go on the quest, no urgency for the plot. It's an assembly of meaningless encounters, forced into a Gamemastery flip-mat design ill-suited for a megadungeon.
I read you thread and this leaves me with two choices , agreeing with what you said or trust my own experience running it and the professional work of James Jacobs ( James Jacobs - PathfinderWiki) I sincerely choose the latter.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
I read you thread and this leaves me with two choices , agreeing with what you said or trust my own experience running it and the professional work of James Jacobs ( James Jacobs - PathfinderWiki) I sincerely choose the latter.
I mean, or you could accept that it has flaws, particularly from the subjective viewpoint of that group and their way of playing the game, that won't necessarily matter for you.

I love the guys, gals, and nonbinary pals at paizo quite a bit, but your arguments are just straight up appeals to authority.

This coming from a fairly ardent defender of the system.

Remove ads