• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2E's reception?

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I still do not understand this "split the fan base" stuff. There is no inherent good in a united fan base or liking something that other people like. In order for a game to "divide a fan base" it has to have an appeal to a segment of the community that what came before did not have. This is a good thing. More people having a game they are passionate about is a good thing. Diversity of play experiences is a good thing.

Like if I want to play Vampire there are three currently supported versions of the game : Vampire the Masquerade 5th Edition, Vampire the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition, and Vampire the Requiem Second Edition. They all provide different play experiences and lore. They are also all pretty good games that appeal to different sorts of players. There is a rich tapestry where the games all feed into one another. We could learn a lot from Vampire.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I still do not understand this "split the fan base" stuff. There is no inherent good in a united fan base or liking something that other people like. In order for a game to "divide a fan base" it has to have an appeal to a segment of the community that what came before did not have. This is a good thing. More people having a game they are passionate about is a good thing. Diversity of play experiences is a good thing.

Between different companies, maybe. But a split fan base means a divided market for one company and that's going to make the economics of supporting both groups on either side of the split harder - too many splits and it will be impossible. The inherent good of a united fan base is there's a larger market - the money spent developing projects will be rewarded with more revenue that will enable more projects and, potentially, a longer life for the product line as a whole.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I still do not understand this "split the fan base" stuff. There is no inherent good in a united fan base or liking something that other people like.
Seems to make sense from the PoV of marketing & brand management. You want perceptions of your product to be positive, of course, but also clear & consistent. And, if you can get a trend - a nice sort of group-think, really - going in your favor, so much the better.

In order for a game to "divide a fan base" it has to have an appeal to a segment of the community that what came before did not have. This is a good thing. More people having a game they are passionate about is a good thing. Diversity of play experiences is a good thing.
The arguments for diversity are powerful, but achieving it can be challenging.

dave2008

Legend
However, if a product "splits the fan base" and a company only supports one direction, then the split can serious harm to the companies revenue.

The classic example in this context is 4e. WotC "split the fan base" with 4e and only supported the fans that liked 4e (at least until 5e came out). It was this split that gave rise to Pathfinder and a good portion of the D&D fanbase moved over to Paizo's offerings.

Zardnaar

Legend
However, if a product "splits the fan base" and a company only supports one direction, then the split can serious harm to the companies revenue.

The classic example in this context is 4e. WotC "split the fan base" with 4e and only supported the fans that liked 4e (at least until 5e came out). It was this split that gave rise to Pathfinder and a good portion of the D&D fanbase moved over to Paizo's offerings.

This if your product drives your customers to the competition en masse..... Ooops.

In Pathfinders case they've had 5 years if people drifting off to 5E. Probably why they did PF2. Gradual decline.

4E's was very rapid a year or 2. Just over a year for PF to beat it

darjr

I crit!
Talk about splitting the fan base made me curious. The PF1 paperback is 8192 at Amazon and looks like it was recently restocked. The PF2 core is currently 4871. I wonder if there is some way to combine the two and see an overall “ranking”

The inherent good of a united fan base is there's a larger market

Pretty much by definition if you have a united fan base you have smaller market than if you had a diverse fan base (easy proof: if you have a united fan base, find one member not in it and add a product just for them. You are now more diverse and have a larger market).

The win is that you can focus on the one product and commit more resources to it, so it is much more efficient. It's better to appeal to 50% of the market with one product than 60% of the market with three. This is why you see companies split off profitable concerns that are not their main focus. It's why you won't see a "sci-fi version of D&D" from WOTC; it's not necessarily that it wouldn't sell or make money, but it would not be worth doing.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The classic example in this context is 4e. WotC "split the fan base" with 4e and only supported the fans that liked 4e
4e supported styles & character concepts that D&D hadn't in the past (including some 5e still hesitates to re-enable), it just stopped over-rewarding the few putative styles that had risen up as ways of leveraging the long-standing system-artifacts & tropes of classic D&D and the intentional rewards for system mastery 3.x had built-in.

The edition war, shaking down as it did into two dramatically irreconcilable sides, sure looked like a split, but it didn't run deep. It still damaged the brand, though. The division was never about the game supporting one set of fans and not another, but about the game supporting one set of fans, and another objecting violently to their inclusion.
That is, it was only ever just gatekeeping.

It succeeded: 5e was once again, "really D&D" - and authentic, again, just in time for a come-back. Painful as it may have been, worked out very nicely for WotC in the end.

Pretty much by definition if you have a united fan base you have smaller market than if you had a diverse fan base (easy proof: if you have a united fan base, find one member not in it and add a product just for them. You are now more diverse and have a larger market).
In theory, but there's a significant stumbling block. Not everyone accepts diversity. If you open your game up to a broader set of fans, and that outrages even a small number of your existing fans, that can generate the kind of negativity and controversy that makes the whole even less welcoming than it was before, you lose a few old fans, potential new ones (quite possibly including the very ones you opened up to) are put off from even checking you out, and even fans you keep become less enthusiastic.

Again, though, D&D seems on the right side of the phenom, this time around.

Last edited:

BryonD

Hero
The fanbase is made up of people, they reacted. The game didn't do things to them, it was just a game, different in some ways than it had been.
This is word games and misdirection, nothing more. I didn't say it did things to "them" I said it did things to the fanbase. Or, more accurately, I referenced WOTC making this statement/

A vocal minority decided to rail against it far beyond the bounds of reason and decorum, and another to push back against it beyond the bounds of civility.
That definitively did something to the community.
Nothing of any relevance. Apathy and dissatifaction with the game as the best choice amongst options did far, far more.

Even within the community of gamers, TTRPGs are a tiny corner compared to CCGs, MMOs, and videogames.
Again, just playing word games. You start requiring me to be pedantic and qualifying every word and phrase and then when I play that game you'll turn around and pretend that me doing that undermines my position. Quite simply, context is clear. Maybe you can't wrap your brain around it, which is a reason to doubt the validity of your comments. Or maybe you simply need to obfuscate the conversation, which is a reason to doubt the validity of your comments.

What about a game that 1000 people try, 100 of them buy, that makes 25 of them happy, vs a game 5 people try, that makes 4 of them happy, but only one of them buys it?
25 happy people is better than 4. But this totally misses the point. As was noted 4E sold HUGE out of the gate. So lack of exposure was not an issue.

The bottom line is that some people loved 4E, some greatly disliked 4E and some people were 'meh' about it. But, in the end it was not among the top list of games of choice for way too many people. Unlike 1E, 3E, and WAAYY unlike 5E, the D&D brand took a hard drop under 4E's tenure. This doesn't mean that people didn't like it. It doesn't need to mean that. It only means that they liked it less than other choices. And that is what we know happened.

Paizo's business success will certainly rest on it selling enough, for their model.
PF2's merits as a game can be judged by those who play it, irrespective of sales or statistics.
Again, the distinction here is already covered.
It would be idiotic to claim that there are not people who, to this day, LOVE 4E. But it is hard to find a 4E game online and it doesn't have much presence. I believe that those people who love 4E would be better off if their game had been more inclusive of the fanbase at large.

Unlike 4E, the book is FAR from closed on PF2E. And, to clarify here, I don't see PF2E alienating the PF fanbase at all as badly as 4E did to the D&D fanbase. So it could play out differently. But it does not seem things are leaning in the positive direction.

And with zero regard for that, the people who LOVE PF2E will continue to love PF2E. I have never been critical of loving PF2E. I was never critical of loving 4E. I stated over and over in each case that I appreciate the appeal to a certain niche and I only wish those playing the most fun experience possible. But, when people say that not playing a game, and posting critical comments about it can only be the result of closed-mindedness, fear of change, or other even more nefarious aggressive motives then those statements are just to easy to play with. And when people say that a game is widely popular despite all evidence to the contrary, well, that's just fun and I like to play.

BryonD

Hero
Talk about splitting the fan base made me curious. The PF1 paperback is 8192 at Amazon and looks like it was recently restocked. The PF2 core is currently 4871. I wonder if there is some way to combine the two and see an overall “ranking”
I suspect you are into "long tail" territory and 8192 on top of 4871 isn't a big bump.

Edit:And, again, we know that PF1E has dropped off some time ago. Maybe, just maybe, PF2E has created a small rebound. But even if so it doesn't seem like it would have any chance of sustainability.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads