• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Adventure Path: How Successful?

Have you subscribed to the Pathfinder Adventure Path (*not* the 3.75e ruleset)?

• I let my Dungeon and/or Dragon magazine subscription roll over to Pathfinder but did not renew it.

Votes: 39 18.1%
  • I subscribed later but let my subscription run out.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I subscribed later and am still subscribed.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I've been a subscriber from the beginning and still am.

Votes: 68 31.6%
  • I never subscribed/I don't know what this is.

Votes: 60 27.9%

I had one friend who has adapted the Second Darkness AP to the CoC rules for his own game. (This guy was a big fan of both Call of Cthulhu and the Pathfinder AP's).

Wow that would be really neat. If he has note am sure others over at the paizo boards would love to see that. are more then a few CoC fans over there including some of the staff

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What exactly makes Paizo's modules 4e-unfriendly? Their fun or their awesomeness? :p

Just some of the fans.

I have heard some great things about some of Paizo's APs. And I buy some Paizo products of general application (like the initiative tracker).

But I know if I bought an AP and then tried to post for assistance or advice or suggestions or feedback on converting an AP to 4e, that I will likely face some anti-4e anger from some fans.

And since getting that input would be an important part of my converting an AP, that essentially makes it a no-go in my book. I'd rather buy for example Burning Sky here, where it's already being released in 4e, and with plenty of friendly feedback.

I don't have the time or patience to wade through rabid fans bent on telling me how wrong thinking I am for wanting to play the game the way I enjoy playing the game. And again I am not saying all Paizo fans meet that description or even a majority - just that it is enough to make it an issue.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
But I know if I bought an AP and then tried to post for assistance or advice or suggestions or feedback on converting an AP to 4e, that I will likely face some anti-4e anger from some fans.
I'm pretty sure people here would be just fine about it. Also, the folks at RPGnet's d20 fantasy/D&D forum.

Funnily enough, the very site you *might* be (indirectly) referring to - maybe - that is, Paizo's itself. . . has someone converting one of those APs (I think) to 4e, and - based on what I've heard anyway - there don't appear to be any issues with that going on. One of the Paizo guys (might've been Erik, IIRC) pointed it out, a while back, in a thread on this forum. Which, as I said at the time, I thought was pretty classy. Anyhow, just thought it was worth putting another PoV out there. It's not like I know what the APs are even like using 3e, let alone 4e. :)

Mistwell

I don't see how an AP would not be '4e friendly'. Is Mutants and Masterminds 4e friendly? What about Call of Cthulhu?

I could care less what other fans think of Pathfinder, I know it is good.

You are not going to find anti-4e sentiment in an AP. How would that even manifest?

As I explained, the task of converting a 3.5 produce to 4e requires, at least for me, the input of people familiar with the material. For me, it's best to do it by getting feedback from others, turning to them for advice and suggestions and such. But, if a disproportionate portion of the fanbase actively reacts negatively to you when you try to do that, it makes the task of conversion that much more difficult.

That's what I meant by that statement you quoted.

Mistwell

I can see how this would affect the quality of Paizo's adventure paths. Your case is made.

Whatever you think I said about the quality of their APs, it doesn't seem to mesh well with what I actually said. I said I am sure the quality is good, and the reason I have not reconsidered my decision to not buy them are related to some of the fanbase and their reaction to those who seek assistance in converting them to 4e.

Dannager

First Post
I never miss the point.

I was describing the obvious difference in philosophy, not the point of the thread, which was more of the typical whining about the incompetence of fighters (which to this day I still find untrue anywhere but the internet). Its like 4e marketing pulled a reverse brainwashing on people.
Because before 4th Edition came around, no one thought fighters were outclassed by spellcasters, right?

Dannager

First Post
I'm pretty sure people here would be just fine about it. Also, the folks at RPGnet's d20 fantasy/D&D forum.

Funnily enough, the very site you *might* be (indirectly) referring to - maybe - that is, Paizo's itself. . . has someone converting one of those APs (I think) to 4e, and - based on what I've heard anyway - there don't appear to be any issues with that going on. One of the Paizo guys (might've been Erik, IIRC) pointed it out, a while back, in a thread on this forum. Which, as I said at the time, I thought was pretty classy. Anyhow, just thought it was worth putting another PoV out there. It's not like I know what the APs are even like using 3e, let alone 4e. :)
As I explained, the threads I've created on the Paizo boards to track my conversion projects are mostly free of bashing. Step just outside those threads, however, and it runs the risk of quickly degenerating. We've had issues with people trying to start threads looking for advice on particular aspects of 4th Edition, only to receive a reply three posts in from an anti-4e individual who explains that the aspect of 4th Edition in question sucks.

Last edited:

J

I don't think this would happen. I know it has not on one Legacy of fire post and Dannager conversions do not bring fire. Dannager himself drawls the fire many times over other things but I don't recall his conversion ever being an issue

He can tell you himself , I may be wrong but don't think his conversion has ever been attacked

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
As I explained, the threads I've created on the Paizo boards to track my conversion projects are mostly free of bashing. Step just outside those threads, however, and it runs the risk of quickly degenerating. We've had issues with people trying to start threads looking for advice on particular aspects of 4th Edition, only to receive a reply three posts in from an anti-4e individual who explains that the aspect of 4th Edition in question sucks.
Oh. :( Sorry, I evidently should've read more of this thread, to get my facts straight. And, as I don't currently visit the Paizo forums, as I said, my impressions were, well, just that. :erm:

That your conversion thread is only 'mostly free of bashing' doesn't bode well, gotta say. . . :/

Mistwell

True. But it's easiest to go to the forum where the most number of people have read the material. When I was doing some changes to Arcana Evolved, it was easiest to go to Monte Cooks forums and ask there, for example.

Funnily enough, the very site you *might* be (indirectly) referring to - maybe - that is, Paizo's itself. . . has someone converting one of those APs (I think) to 4e, and - based on what I've heard anyway - there don't appear to be any issues with that going on.

Yes, he is in this thread. And apparently he's had to deal with a horde of folks who disagree with him, often. It's described upthread. Now he also said the work of conversion itself has gone pretty well with only one major exception, so that gives me some hope.

[EDIT - And now I see we were both ninja'ed. Doh!]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads