• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Adventure Path: How Successful?

Have you subscribed to the Pathfinder Adventure Path (*not* the 3.75e ruleset)?

• I let my Dungeon and/or Dragon magazine subscription roll over to Pathfinder but did not renew it.

Votes: 39 18.1%
  • I subscribed later but let my subscription run out.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I subscribed later and am still subscribed.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I've been a subscriber from the beginning and still am.

Votes: 68 31.6%
  • I never subscribed/I don't know what this is.

Votes: 60 27.9%

ggroy

First Post
I don't see how an AP would not be '4e friendly'. Is Mutants and Masterminds 4e friendly? What about Call of Cthulhu?

With enough effort, any AP can be converted to another set of rules.

In my experience so far, the writing style of the Pathfinder AP's and modules are relatively "generic" enough for moderately easy conversion to other rules sets.

I had one friend who has adapted the Second Darkness AP to the CoC rules for his own game. (This guy was a big fan of both Call of Cthulhu and the Pathfinder AP's).

I don't know if the Paizo people have consciously and/or purposely written their adventures in a relatively "generic" manner. But nevertheless, the writing style and structure of their AP's and modules are "friendly" enough for easy adaptations to other rulesets.

Last edited:

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I can't speak to rpg.net, but you've been lucky to avoid the 4vengers on the WotC boards then. They act like it's a personal quest to trash anyone who finds anything about 4e that isn't perfect, even to the point of going after 4e fans. I don't see that sort of quasi-organized zealotry anywhere else online (even Razz as an army of one didn't get that bad, and he was banned on Paizo, among other places), but it makes for a genuinely unpleasant environment.

Or a largely comical one...

I can't ake anyone seriously that is going to call themselves a superhero team to defend a game.

Its very funny how they all have their individual niche.

Anyway, from what I hear there is very little effort to converting Paizo's AP to 4e. What I encounter often is people (not here, on other webs) that want the Paizo AP's for 4e MOSTLY; not even in addition to 3rd edition. There are some people that can't stand not having everything for themselves, but fortunately they are in the minority.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I'm not sure where this came from. I'm not even sure what you could say about the Pathfinder fighter that would deserve a ban here. It's not a person, so it's not like you're making personal attacks. The only thing I can see possibly being an issue is the more adult language allowed on RPG.net, which doesn't say anything about the individual posters.

No it is simply a difference in philosophy between the min maxers of the Character Optimizations, and those play characters for spirit.

The language of the min/maxers and the power gamers was pretty juvenile.

Obryn

Hero
Everybody making claims about the environment are generally seeing things through a lens of their own edition being the victim, of their fellow edition fans as being generally reasonable, the other game's fans not. And I think, because of confirmation bias, people particularly tend to miss when their own favorite game's fans are being unreasonable.
I don't agree with billd91 on many things, but on this one I agree 100%. At least for ENWorld - which has stayed, IMHO, very nicely balanced from the moderation end of things. Probably one of the better environments all around, IMHO.

I can't speak to any of the other boards because ... well, I don't go there. I'm not really a Paizo customer anymore, so I don't know why I'd visit their forums. (I have Rise of the Runelords, though, and may look at Dannager's conversions down the road.) I don't want to visit WotC's D&D forums because they're often ... painful, regardless of edition war stuff. I used to visit the SWSE forum, but it's no longer such a friendly place. It's basically the location of the hidden rebel base. :)

So, I'm here while at work, on CM while at home, at KT regularly, and occasionally on TheRPGSite when I want to punish myself or laugh.

-O

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I buy everything released from Paizo now. I have lots of money freed up since I don't buy WOTC D&D material anylonger.

That hasn't been a bad thing either. I look at how they are releasing 4E stuff - larger type/more whitespace, smaller books, power cards galore, and being a completist, I would likely be getting it all if I played 4E. To me, the value just isn't there like it used to be. It's good for my wallet that I am off that train.

Paizo stuff is smaller print, and they seem to pack as much as they can in their books - much like WotC used to do with most of their 3.x stuff. The 3.0 FR Campaign Setting remains one of the best values I've seen in a book with regard to content vs. page count. Compare that with the 4E FR Campaign book. Same cost, about 1/2 the value in the 4E book (IMO).

Mournblade94 said:
I do not however subscribe because I want to support my local game store. The subscription model kind of irks me, because I have to wait longer to get the product from my local game store, but Pathfinder D&D is definitely worth it. Best quality I have seen since 2nd edition mega modules.

Good thing I don't subscribe though because my purchase activity has brought PAthfinder to the owner's and customer's attention. Typically he orders a duplicate of what I request, for the non regular customers.

I don't really have an FLGS to support, so for me the choice is really between amazon and Paizo. Subscribing gives me two things amazon can't: speed and a free .pdf. I really like having the free .pdf.

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I don't agree with billd91 on many things, but on this one I agree 100%. At least for ENWorld - which has stayed, IMHO, very nicely balanced from the moderation end of things. Probably one of the better environments all around, IMHO.

Agreed. As someone who plays different editions, the relative balance is extremely welcome.

Dannager

First Post
No it is simply a difference in philosophy between the min maxers of the Character Optimizations, and those play characters for spirit.

The language of the min/maxers and the power gamers was pretty juvenile.
See, you automatically painted one crowd as "min/maxers" based on a relatively short thread of discussion with them. Of course, min/maxing wasn't part of the conversation. "Spirit" of characters wasn't really the topic of the conversation either. A class and its abilities were being discussed. Painting those who disagree with you as mean old min/maxers is just a way of trying to render one's opponents' arguments meaningless.

After hanging around that thread for a while, the only conclusion I can reach is that if you think it was about min/maxing vs. spirit, you missed the point.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
See, you automatically painted one crowd as "min/maxers" based on a relatively short thread of discussion with them. Of course, min/maxing wasn't part of the conversation. "Spirit" of characters wasn't really the topic of the conversation either. A class and its abilities were being discussed. Painting those who disagree with you as mean old min/maxers is just a way of trying to render one's opponents' arguments meaningless.

After hanging around that thread for a while, the only conclusion I can reach is that if you think it was about min/maxing vs. spirit, you missed the point.

I never miss the point.

I was describing the obvious difference in philosophy, not the point of the thread, which was more of the typical whining about the incompetence of fighters (which to this day I still find untrue anywhere but the internet). Its like 4e marketing pulled a reverse brainwashing on people.

There was no edition bashing per se, but it was a good thread to demonstrate the difference between powergamers and other gamers. Jsut that the power gamers over there are more numerous.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads