• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Pathfinder] B6: The Veiled Society

jkason

First Post
I'm starting to lean in the direction of Palidan, because I've dabbled in Bard briefly, but don't think I've even gone so far as to stat up a Paladin before.

My only concern is how much of a handicap a Lawful Good code will be to the party in a 'shady dealings' / political intrigue setting.

I think it's certainly do-able, but it likely involves the ability to 'bend' interpretations a bit. So, for example, Evil rulers might by default be considered illigitimate authority by a Paladin, so they wouldn't have to follow their orders. Likewise, people of questionable morality could be decieved to some extent in service to 'the greater good.' That kind of thing.

Would that be acceptable? If not, I'm more than happy to play a bard, too (seriously, the Paladin's only winning my whim by the slightest bit). But since aligment and code actually mean something to the playability of a Paladin that largely isn't in effect for other classes, I wanted to clear that up rather than assuming.

jason

kinem

Adventurer
jkason: Good point. I was thinking about that.

A paladin is certainly do-able, and you can play one if you want, but I think that going with the bard would be better, because detect evil at will might make some things too easy.

jkason

First Post
jkason: Good point. I was thinking about that.

A paladin is certainly do-able, and you can play one if you want, but I think that going with the bard would be better, because detect evil at will might make some things too easy.

Bard it is. Oh, goodness, I just saw that Half-orcs don't have the CHA penalty in PF. Ideas they are bubbling... ;)

Rhun

First Post

I've experienced that problem myself in games. I really think the paladin's detect evil ability needs to be limited to 5 or 10 feet. That way, they wouldn't be able to use it as a "detect what's behind this door" kind of radar. It also makes it hard to deceive a group of players.

And for the record, I actually love the paladin class. I just don't like the at will detect evil the way it is written.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Bard it is. Oh, goodness, I just saw that Half-orcs don't have the CHA penalty in PF. Ideas they are bubbling... ;)

Who am i playing in this game?? oh right Rezak

*clears throat/cracks knukles lol*

"Yuse be a singin' that frog croackin' songs ones mure times and I'lls be a jumpins out dat dare windows." Rezak says with a shudder. Even though everyone has caught him tapping his foot at the bards last performance.

(Want to do a Spock/McCoy style realtionship jkason???)

HM

Last edited:

ghostcat

First Post
Kinem
Are we restricted to the Mystaran Imortals for our deities or can we use the Pathfinder equivalent?

I am looking at the Liberation and Travel domains and can't find a Mystaran Imortal to support them. However, Desna seems a perfect fit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads