• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Bestiary - Discussion

Voadam

Legend
Except 2 things
1. the stats themselves are not
2. They can hold you up in court to you run out of money to fight

1 True but the question was whether the names that were released as OGC could be used in an OGL product, not the stats. You could attach whatever stats you wanted to the names, such as say OGC 3e High Elf stats to the OGC name Eladrin. ;)

2 Only a risk if you believe WotC would file and continually pursue an obviously baseless harassment suit targeting activity they themselves explicitly licensed you to do. I leave it to your discretion if you believe that is a real risk.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
1 True but the question was whether the names that were released as OGC could be used in an OGL product, not the stats. You could attach whatever stats you wanted to the names, such as say OGC 3e High Elf stats to the OGC name Eladrin. ;)

2 Only a risk if you believe WotC would file and continually pursue an obviously baseless harassment suit targeting activity they themselves explicitly licensed you to do. I leave it to your discretion if you believe that is a real risk.

[Please take the Open Content discussion to another thread. Thanks.

Voadam

Legend
[Please take the Open Content discussion to another thread. Thanks.

No Problem, I'm fine with dropping the tangent.:)

Additionally, unless any specific unique celestials or fiends appear in mythology, they don't appear in the Bestiary, so for instance there's a different list of empyreal lords in the Bestiary versus those that exist for Golarion.

I'd still like to hear which unique outsiders are in the bestiary. :)

Do any included in the bestiary not show up in Golarion?

- Demon lords are listed, but not statted up. Same for noted devils.

Which ones, and do they have art and descriptions? How in-depth are the descriptions?

Eridanis

Which ones, and do they have art and descriptions? How in-depth are the descriptions?

No art or descriptions; just a list of names in sidebars. IIRC, Paizo is publishing (Golarion-flavored) books on the denizens of the lower planes, so I expect there to be descriptions and stats in those.

"Demon Lords"
Abraxas, Master of the Final Incantation
Baphomet, Lord of the Minotaurs
Dagon, the Shadow in the Sea
Demogorgon, the Maws of Madness
Flauros, the Burning Maw
Haagenti, the Whispers Within
Jubilex, the Faceless Lord
Kostchtchie, the Deathless Frost
Lamashtu, the Demon Queen
Nocticula, Our Lady in Shadow
Orcus, Prince of Undeath
Pazuzu, King of the Wind Demons
Shax, the Blood Marquis
Socothbenoth, the Silken Sin

"Some Known Devils"
Astaroth, Prince of Accusers
Baalzebul, Lord of the Flies
Dispater, the First King
Glasya-Labolas, Author of Bloodshed
Moloch, the General of Hell
Nahemah, the Dowager of Divinations
Orobas, Speaker of Truths
Rubicante, He Who Grows Red
Xaphan, Who Burns the Heavens
Zagan, the Golden Blooded

Eridanis

For completeness' sake, here are the names in the sidebar for the Archons. Make of them as you will!

"Archon Empyreal Lords"
Asteria, of the Endless Order
Cocidius, Hawk-Keeper
Duellona, the Warrior Maiden
Erlang Shen, the All-Seeing
Hors, the Freezing Sun
Inanna, Princess of the Sky
Lugus, the Three-Faced
Ogoun, of Fire and Iron
Oro, the Flame in the Sky
Radigost, Bringer of Boons
Sheave, the Orphan Lord
Svarozic, the Face of Flame
Tanit, Guardian of Life
Tahmineh, the Wounded Mother

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Yeah; the demon lords and arch devils and stuff are just names in the Bestiary; we've got the Book of the Damned line of books dedicated to talking about them themselves (we don't currently have plans to stat them up, but if/when we do, they'll be CR 26–36 or thereabouts).

Voadam

Legend
Yeah; the demon lords and arch devils and stuff are just names in the Bestiary; we've got the Book of the Damned line of books dedicated to talking about them themselves (we don't currently have plans to stat them up, but if/when we do, they'll be CR 26–36 or thereabouts).

I was aware of the planned Book of the Damned series but from Shemeska's comment I was not sure if the Golarion fiends would match up to the ones in the world neutral bestiary. Do they match up?

James Jacobs

Adventurer
I was aware of the planned Book of the Damned series but from Shemeska's comment I was not sure if the Golarion fiends would match up to the ones in the world neutral bestiary. Do they match up?

Many of them do... in the interests of keeping the Bestiary 100% open content, we only mentioned those demon lords etc. who are from mythology or already open content; all of these guys are in Golarion, but they're not Golarion-only.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads