• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder First Print Run Sold Out

Primal

First Post
Congratulations, Paizo! It's been a long wait, and finally it will be over... if only the rest of the guys had preordered the book in time (they'll have to do with buying the PDF first -- I'm not letting everyone use my copy). :)

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Bioware's "Knights of the Old Republic" RPG used what was basically the d20 system, as did its sequel. So there's certainly ample precedent for a video game to use the d20/OGL/whatever system as its core mechanic.

Twowolves

Explorer
Didn't the Temple of Elemental Evil game run on the d20 system? It took the Circle of Eight to fix all the bugs, but it was a damn fun game after the patches. It certainly can be done, mechanically speaking.

Sammael

Adventurer
ToEE was an official licensed D&D game, not an OGL game.

I think an OGL game is possible. All rules-related data (including characters and opponents) would have to be stored in an open, easily accesible format (e.g. XML), though.

Roman

First Post
Bioware's "Knights of the Old Republic" RPG used what was basically the d20 system, as did its sequel. So there's certainly ample precedent for a video game to use the d20/OGL/whatever system as its core mechanic.

I have been hoping (and asking for ;) ) a Pathfinder computer game almost since the Pathfinder RPG project was started, so I am glad to hear that the prospect is now more realistic than before. :)

boerngrim

Explorer
Congratulations Paizo! I preordered mine (from Amazon) by the recommended July cutoff date as a graduation present to myself. I graduate from my associate program on the August 13 release date! Truly a momentous occasion for me.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
I always presumed KOTOR and sequel used the D20 system as they were licenced from the D20 SW RPG from WOTC and Lucasfilm. Using this system also allowed Bioware to use the NWN Aurora engine which they already had - which was developed to run a licenced version of D20 D&D following the move to 3e (BG2 being based on 2e AD&D).

James & Co - Congratulations. Now hurry up and ship my copy already, it's been showing as pending for ages now :D

Ranes

Adventurer
I realise that I'm so late to this party, you peeps are probably on your third print run by now. (Bring on the CRPG deal while you're at it.) But so what? Congratulations!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I don't think it'd be a problem to mark stuff as open. Either you go with an "easily accessible" database of the stuff you want open, or you just jam it in where normal copyright leagalese is jammed in with the end credits.

As a double-plus bonus, that means that mods and homebrews of any Pathfinder videogame might be pretty popular.

Now, it would be impossible to do a GSL videogame, I think. But the OGL doesn't seem to prohibit it, and there's no d20 liscencing involved (which was the slightly more restrictive agreement with the decency clause and such).

That would make me dork out on Golarion more than anything else, and I think something like that has the chance to bring a HUGE audience to Pathfinder, even if only a small fraction of the videogame players bother with the pen-and-paper game.

I mean, it could end up like most D&D games and be a muddy mess, but at the very least, it could end up like KOTOR or some of the good Bioware D&D games (Baldur's Gate, etc.).

Remove ads