Pathfinder miniatures ... are folks using these much?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The best thing about the Pathfinder mini line are the character figures. Nice colours and a good selection of figures. The original set was good for these, the Rise of the Runelords set was excellent.

And then things started going downhill. Both Shattered Star and Skull & Shackles are full of minis that are particularly difficult to use.

I felt that D&D Minis were great at keeping each set relevant to most campaigns. Pathfinder minis go into the very weird.

NewJeffCT

First Post
The best thing about the Pathfinder mini line are the character figures. Nice colours and a good selection of figures. The original set was good for these, the Rise of the Runelords set was excellent.

And then things started going downhill. Both Shattered Star and Skull & Shackles are full of minis that are particularly difficult to use.

I felt that D&D Minis were great at keeping each set relevant to most campaigns. Pathfinder minis go into the very weird.

That's kind of how I felt, too. I've never had much use for Clockwork soldiers or the aforementioned Alchemical Golem, as well as the shark-men figures. You'd kind of have to do something special to put them in your average D&D/Pathfinder game.

ced1106

Explorer
fwiw, The Reaper KS has some Pathfinder mini's. They're unpainted and you have to wait a year to get them ): but are non-random sets for about $1.50 per figure. Pledge at the $1 level, then buy the sets.

If you don't want to paint Bones, just get some Pledge Future Floor Wax (Walmart, six bucks), add some black paint, and wash the figure. It'll be glossy, but you can see the details, and still paint over it later.

Stormonu

Legend
I picked up a few of them, and I find them to be usable - but I've got so many plastic DDM minis I'm not really interested in picking up but a few more. Mainly the ones that D&D never came out with or look better than their D&D version.

I think that's one of the reason why there's so many non-standard Pathfinder minis - they probably know that a good portion of folks already have the staple ones from a few years back, and while they've got some new people collecting for the first time, I'll bet the majority of their customers have handfuls of the D&D minis.

S'mon

Legend
I've bought some as singles; in general I'm happy with them. I've not had a problem with fragility other than a town guard losing his lantern and a paladin losing her shield, which I had to pin & glue back on. Also she has a pin head with almost no facial detail.
The Pathfinder Heroes set had very nice paint jobs and were close to Reaper standard, so very happy with them.

Overall in terms of price to quality, the Reaper Legendary Encounters prepaints are better and the WotC minis are cheaper, but the Pathfinder minis have a much larger selection than Reaper and only the WoTC Dungeon Command are still generally available.

adamc

First Post
Since WotC's miniatures went away, these and the Reaper Bones kickstarters are the two main options. I must confess that metal minis used to get me excited, but plastic ones never have.
I've bought some of each (still buy some metal minis too). I like the plastic minis more than the metal minis -- cheaper and less fragile. And if they are pre-painted, so much the better.

The pathfinder miniatures are expensive enough that I don't attempt to buy all of them -- just the ones that I either find compelling or that I can easily use in many contexts.

adamc

First Post
The price point with randomness made it a non sale for me.
Though as I have a lot of mini's already, so it does have to be a decent deal to get my interest.
I buy a lot of minis in secondary markets. The per-mini price is higher, but when you only want select miniatures, it's cheaper.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I have a bunch of them. I like them, but they are definitely more fragile than the Wizards prepainted minis. They're releasing some interesting stuff that I haven't seen in other sets from other companies (prepainted-wise) - Skull and Shackles had some great figures in it for aquatic/seafaring encounters.

I still need to get off my butt and get my reaper minis painted. :-/

Stormonu

Legend
Prepainted plastics have spoiled me. I hate buying metal minis nowadays. I'd even rather buy unpainted, assembly-required plastics than have to fiddle with metal minis.

Remove ads