Pathfinder miniatures ... are folks using these much?

Jhaelen

First Post
I did never mind painting minis, but having to assemble them is a pita. I have a sad-looking giant spider to remind me why I hate it...

NewJeffCT

First Post
I did never mind painting minis, but having to assemble them is a pita. I have a sad-looking giant spider to remind me why I hate it...

Yes, I found the assembling of complex miniatures kind of ruined the fun of miniatures for me. A simple Warhammer militia figure was reasonably easy, but something bigger and more complex with lots of pieces was a problem I found daunting at times. I'd even say that my Warhammer empire militia minis are my favorite group of miniatures that I have - 25 figures, all different, but painted with a somewhat unifying theme (each one has a single piece of clothing that's either red or black to match the regular army's uniform theme of red & black. But, they're mainly browns/tans overall, so they are clearly different.) But, those were single "human" figures where I'd just glue on a pair of arms and a head to the torso, and then to the legs. And, sometimes the arms would be together, like two arms holding a crossbow or spear.

Heck, I probably wouldn't have even bought your giant spider - I'd have said, "too much work to glue on 8 friggin' legs and also have to worry about it being able to support itself..."

I own a couple of thousand pre-painted D&D minis, but don’t own any of the Pathfinder pre-painted minis. I think I’ve never bought any Pathfinder pre-painted minis for a few reasons:

1. The higher price point of the minis. By the time the D&D pre-painted minis line ended the cost per box and/or case was getting close to the most I was willing to pay.
  2. I already owned several thousand pre-painted D&D minis. This factor also impacted on how much I was willing to pay per box/case. As I got more minis, I got to the point where I didn’t need more goblins, skeletons, zombies, whatever. I also generally had minis for most of the monsters in my game (or close substitutes). Yes, having a greater variety of sculpts was nice, but I didn’t need 40 zombie minis. So getting more zombies just meant that I’d be selling some of the older ones.
  3. The number of Pathfinder-specific monsters in each set. I play 3.5E, not Pathfinder, so getting minis for some of the Pathfinder monsters was often not of much value to me (this same thing happened when the D&D minis switched over to 4E and started including quite a few 4E-specific monsters). I do own the Rise of the Runelords AP, so a few of the monsters specific to that AP were of interest to me, but that was about all.
  4. Possibly a fall in the Australian dollar. I can’t be sure of this, but it was possible that the Australian dollar started to decline in value compared to the US dollar, making the minis (and all things from the US) more expensive for me.

Remove ads