Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder RPG Alpha 3 Now Ready for Download

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Kaisoku said:
Both the Ranger and Bard entries really should be changed to just say "... add +10 when you Take 10". For the Bard it's once per day (or more), for the Ranger it's for his Quarry, etc.

If the Take 10 ability arrives at a prior level, then they should just add a standing unnamed +10 bonus (vs. Quarry, or 1/day) and let the player decide whether or not to also avail himself of Take 10.

Kaisoku

First Post
The only problem with that is that you could then roll a 20 and add the +10 and effectively get a 30, where the entire point was to simply take rolling out of the equation and give them the max (20).

Since the point of the bonus is to make it a max roll, Take 10 +10 would have the simplest effect without chewing up terms.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Kaisoku said:
Spells
New spell entries:
- Destruction, Finger of Death, Implosion and Wail of Banshee all have similar mechanic as to Harm (10 damage per caster level)
- Divine Power (gives bonuses instead of changing cleric into fighter, luck bonuses, haste effect)
- Restoration (+Greater) changed to work with the "no xp cost" concept (i'm guessing)
- Righteous Might, slight change to DR amounts (increased to normal 5 and 10 ranges)
- Slay Living, does damage now instead of outright death.

There are a lot of spells that aren't specifically designed to kill that are, nevertheless, game enders. I hope they get around to those next.

From the low-level Cause Fear and Hideous Laughter, Blindness, Confusion, Fear, Charms, Domination, etc.

Even Otiluke's Resilient Sphere is a potential Save-or-Die-Later for a BBEG.

Fix only the "specifically deadly" save-or-die spells and the players will quickly turn to "effectively deadly" spells.

Later tonite I'll take a closer look.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Kaisoku said:
The only problem with that is that you could then roll a 20 and add the +10 and effectively get a 30, where the entire point was to simply take rolling out of the equation and give them the max (20).

I know, I consider that a feature. :D

I love dangling prospects like that in front of my players.

Kaisoku

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
There are a lot of spells that aren't specifically designed to kill that are, nevertheless, game enders. I hope they get around to those next.

From the low-level Cause Fear and Hideous Laughter, Blindness, Confusion, Fear, Charms, Domination, etc.

Even Otiluke's Resilient Sphere is a potential Save-or-Die-Later for a BBEG.

Fix only the "specifically deadly" save-or-die spells and the players will quickly turn to "effectively deadly" spells.

Later tonite I'll take a closer look.

The fix I've heard for those kinds of "taken out of the fight" spells was to add secondary saves each round to break the effect (kinda like Hold Person), or negate the effect for one round, meaning if you don't save again next round, you are back under the effect.

This does depower the spells quite a bit though, and unless you are playing a "low magic" campaign, this might make the spells "too" ineffective. I haven't tried playtesting this idea yet, so I don't know how it turns out in practice.

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
Hey there all,

The take 20 issue is indeed a problem and one that I will resolve for the Beta. Thanks for the catch.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

Ashilyn

First Post
Man, Pathfinder just keeps getting better and better. Paizo has done nothing but impress me so far, and I'm even considering picking up the Beta softcover when it comes out in August. I like it that much, particularly the new Bard and Monk in this version. Seriously great stuff.

Keep the good work up, Paizo. I'm looking forward to this way, way more then I 4E at this point, particularly after having read Keep On The Shadowfell (Still need to play it though).

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Ashilyn said:
Man, Pathfinder just keeps getting better and better. Paizo has done nothing but impress me so far, and I'm even considering picking up the Beta softcover when it comes out in August. I like it that much, particularly the new Bard and Monk in this version. Seriously great stuff.

At the risk of being a dittohead, ditto.

GlassJaw

Hero
Ashilyn said:

I definitely agree. While I still feel a lot of the crunch is just change for change's sake, I am digging the options. Overall, I really like the class redesigns.

Pathfinder still hasn't addressed some of the "biggies" for me: multiclass casters, 10-minute adventuring day, speeding up combat, etc, but I have a feeling there is something on the horizon that may... ;)

Treebore

First Post
Glassjaw,

Lets remember this is truly a work in progress, so when we have problems and concerns with these write ups we should definitely make an effort to tell Paizo, even if you don't (or do) feel like your part of the PF "in crowd". Tell problems, and even better suggest possible solutions, etc...

Lets not be one of those people who knock Pathfinder and don't do anything to try and help make it better.

Not that I am saying you are that way Glassjaw, it just came to my mind at this time is all.

I don't like "change for the sake of change" either, so I hope you are posting or e-mailing your specific concerns.

Remove ads