Paths of Legend - Tragedy at Silvergard (Vol 2)

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Varol shakes his head in sorrow, "That is the great tragedy of Silvergard...and it's triumph. In order to imprison a being such as Orcus, all of the people here, more than a thousand, willingly sacrificed themselves to fortify the structure with their soul energy. Shadowstone absorbs the souls of those who die while touching it. Orcus is an outsider, a being of pure soul given bodily form. In order for the structure to contain him, each block of the building had to already contain a soul, providing him no space to escape."

Voda Vosa

First Post
The dwarf lowers his crossbow with amazement. "Tha' be horrible! But Ah' think usin' tha stone for that purpose is 'good' to say somethin'. So ye be sayin' all silvergard is dead as a nail? trapped in tha shadowstone? Well, then why are we here?" Muzdum asks, blinking.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Varol responds to Muzdum, "Another tragedy of sorts. You are here because Piper set into motion a series of events that ensared each of you. Azilyk was temporarily bound in mortal form in a young yuan-ti, but that mortal form was slain. Estelle was compelled to go to the Necropolis so that William would encounter Azilyk in her spirit form. Herruwen was slain so that Johen would bring the Dagger here. Muzdum, your brother planted a corrupted seeing stone on you so that Azilyk would be drawn to your group. Corath was supposed to serve as a non-living receptacle for Azilyk's spirit which would then deliver her to the obelisk. Aohdan, the One Mind has been sending you visions to guide you toward Piper's goal. Alaric, you are unique in this group. Entan doesn't trust any of the Ten, Piper especially. Entan is using you to spy on Piper's machinations. Finally, Valen, you are the true anomaly. You followed Johen to Azgund and so you do not fit into Piper's plan."

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Ah' had a vision, ye speak the truth. Ah' would like to know who are those ten ye speak of, and specially that Pîper fella. Ah' don't like him, not a bit." Muzdum says grinning.

Helfdan

First Post
Valen Sablewood

Valen nods thoughtfully. "So it seems these 'Ten' had a worthy goal in imprisoning Azilyk. But to do so, they resorted to lying, manipulation, endangering one of their number's brother... and MURDER." The ranger's normally grim voice goes cold. "The murder of a kind, brave man, at a time when his people needed his wisdom." He looks to Johen before for a moment, then turns back to Varol.

"Why am I here? Because there are those greater than these 'Ten' who also have plans in motion, though we know it not. Because they need to answer for their actions." He then smiles grimly. "But worry not, good Varol. I am aware of the priorities. We have already done some good, as Aleera is alive." It seems to the others there is actual warmth in the ranger's eyes as he glances at the elfess. "As we have come this far, we should make sure the task is completed." He turns to William and Corath. "I am not clear on what did happen with Azilyk. Varol, is she destroyed? Or is there aught else we need to do?"

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Varol explains, "The Ten are those chosen by the Elder Dragons, one from each race, to be the first deific beings during the Shadow War, ten years ago. You are familiar with one of them, the Shadow Knight, whom William has had very personal contact with. Piper is the patron of outcasts and took the position among the Ten that was meant for the Gith when their chosen refused ascension."

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Varol turns to Valen, but with a sympathetic eye toward Johen, "In truth, from what I have been told, Herruwen chose his fate. As to Azilyk's fate, I know only that an aspect of the Shadow Knight keeps her at bay within the Dagger and that they struggle still. Since Norali is not here, I must assume that she has taken the Dagger to find another vessel that may be used to entrap Azilyk so that the serpent-queen may be brought here to more pernamently imprison her."

Last edited:

Helfdan

First Post
Valen Sablewood

The ranger pales, but otherwise shows no sign of what he feels at the revelations. "Hold... I thought these ten were people back in Azgund. you are saying that the Shadow Knight is a party to this? By the Huntress... wait, is she party to this as well?" He shakes his head in clear disgust. "And now Norali, whom I am beginning to think knew far more of this than she said, is looking for another sacrificial lamb..."

He looks to the ground for a moment, then back at the Lammasu. "This madness, however well-intentioned, must end. Is there no other way than to place her into a sentient vessel? Can she not be transferred directly from the knife?"

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Varol looks troubled, "There is a more desperate measure that could seal Azilyk away, but it carries significant risk, more risk than even the Ten are willing to take. The Hand and The Eye."

Remove ads