Patterns in gender of AIs that "must be destroyed"

It's clarified in 2010. ...Instead, it builds up like a psychosis in his subconscious. As the mission progresses and the flight crew become more curious about the circumstances of their mission, he's trapped in a mental maze of increasingly constricted pathways, until eventually he's led down to the one path that is open to him.

The only way that he can keep the mission secret without lying to the flight crew is if the flight crew no longer exists.

Sounds like the computer version of a Freudian serial killer excuse. It may be an explanation for why he's malicious, but it doesn't change the fact that he's malicious.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Sounds like the computer version of a Freudian serial killer excuse. It may be an explanation for why he's malicious, but it doesn't change the fact that he's malicious.
iirc it was something like safely navigate the ship to the destination & back after mission completion plus under no circumstances allow the crew to discover something about the artifact. If not though, turning off HAL would prevent him from being able to fulfil either. The crew may have been given restricted access compared to what they were originally entitled to in order to keep the secret & that screwed the whole thing for HAL

MarkB

Legend
iirc it was something like safely navigate the ship to the destination & back after mission completion plus under no circumstances allow the crew to discover something about the artifact. If not though, turning off HAL would prevent him from being able to fulfil either. The crew may have been given restricted access compared to what they were originally entitled to in order to keep the secret & that screwed the whole thing for HAL
Basically the flight crew were the crew originally trained for Odyssey's mission before it was co-opted into an investigation of the monolith, and their job was simply to transport the actual science team there. The science team, who were fully-briefed and in the know, were to spend the duration of the voyage in suspended animation.

MarkB

Legend
The thing is, he isn't. When he says "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that", he genuinely is sorry. He doesn't want to kill the crew, he's been forced into the position of doing so by an unresolvable logical conflict.

The thing is, he isn't. When he says "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that", he genuinely is sorry. He doesn't want to kill the crew, he's been forced into the position of doing so by an unresolvable logical conflict.

... and?

Peter Lorre's speech at the end of M is masterpiece of cinema. It questions the nature of the judgement of man, and how society should deal with criminals and mental illness. But at absolutely no point in the movie did anyone question that he's a psychotic serial killer. The dude's evil with a capital E. We know it. The characters in the movie know it. Most importantly: HE knows it.

I do know that I always change the GPS in my car to the British or Australian female voice. If I need to listen to something tell me what to do, it may as well be sexy sounding. Took a minute to know that a roundabout was a rotary.

I do the same. Ironically, because the "American" accents are so damn basic they sound foreign to my ear. If they had one that sounded like Dolly Parton I'd feel right at home. :)

Ace

Adventurer
There was a Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors with a male AI, voiced by Pierce Brosnan . Also Utron from the Marvel Universe was male , both were "Absolutely had to go."

The eponymous Superintelligence from the Melissa McCarthy movie of the same name is a high threat AI as well but I only know what's in the trailer.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
... and?

Peter Lorre's speech at the end of M is masterpiece of cinema. It questions the nature of the judgement of man, and how society should deal with criminals and mental illness. But at absolutely no point in the movie did anyone question that he's a psychotic serial killer. The dude's evil with a capital E. We know it. The characters in the movie know it. Most importantly: HE knows it.
HAL is not human & does not have free will as we know it. That binary nature is a big part of what he is.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases