PBP D&D games and the problems with them.

Xen155

First Post
Why is it that PBP games always seem to fail? I have attempted to participate in 2 and watched another 2 with intrest as they died. Is it just my bad luck catching the ones that were doomed to failure or does this happen all the time. We have tried three I beleive here at the GMF and all of them seemed to have just tappered off. Why why why why why? Such a cool concept with so many options and the ability to play with anyone on the internet... why does something so cool seem so destined to failure. Is it the fact you are not meeting people face to face, or the fact that most communication durring these games is typing? I noticed that attendence is a large factor but even then it can explain for all of it, can it? It would be awsome if we could create and play in our own setting, but it seems like me any attempt is one in futility. Help?

Catavarie

First Post
From what I've noticed...its hard to get the players fully invested in the world with PBP as opposed to face to face gaming. It seems more difficult to set the mood for the setting and have people feel as if they are getting to be really productive and an asset to the group. Maybe it just that it takes a certain kind of player to make PBP games successful, and its hard to do a good PBP when everyone is more comfortable with face to face. The pace always seems to be slower and that may frustrate people who are in for a quick paced hack and slash and combat always seems to take weeks to complete anything more than the group fighting one monster. IMHO the only way to have a "successful" PBP game with a group of non-PBP players is to have rules set-up so that everyone must post at least once a week while the GM releases a post on a regular schedule (every tuesday, monday & Thursday, the night of the new moon, etc). And maybe even each player decide how their character will normally act in combat and let the GM do all the "mundane" combat (a group of highway men jump out of the bushes holding sticks...what do you do?) that way things don't seem to get bogged down so badly. Of course these are just a few ideas I've had, they don't necessarily fix things with PBP games that some people would call the inherent problems but are just some options.

Of course I'm not a PBP expert afterall I've only ever played in 2 PBP games and neither of them seem to last over a couple of weeks.

ChaosEvoker

First Post
There's always the option of letting the DM do all the dice and battle. However, that leaves the character with alot less control and only roleplaying from a participation standpoint. It's nearly impossible to find a balance of pace and control.

Honestly, I've played some D&D over Teamspeak or Ventrillo and it was quite fun. Still, it's a game best played with friends in a dimly-lit room with the cool feel of the dice in your hands.

themind

Explorer
Well, I think it is also the forums that the game takes place. While it can be done, these boards aren't equiped to do a PbP game as some are.

RPOL.net is one such place that is made for PbP roleplaying. Each game set up has its own internal Dice Roller, a function to have character names as well as Players, Avatars for your character, and internal Private Messaging. The GM has total Admin control of the game threads. He can create, delete, Archive all the threads needed for the game. He has control of the entire game, where he can change names of the characters and such.

I myself have kept a Dragonlance game going for over 1 1/2 years there, although there have been slow points do to my part, the game is still going.

If possible, we could try and do our RPing there and keep links and updates of certain things on our website.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I've had PbP games that have lasted quite a long time. I've been in quite a few too, though, that have died. In my experience what kills a PbP game is the same that kills a FtF game--players or the GM being too busy to attend/post.

Life happens. You can't do much about it. It's just that it's easier to adjust to in a FtF game because it's faster paced anyway. Scenes go by in a session rather than months.

Xen155

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
I've had PbP games that have lasted quite a long time. I've been in quite a few too, though, that have died. In my experience what kills a PbP game is the same that kills a FtF game--players or the GM being too busy to attend/post.
Did you use PbP specific forum or did you play at a place like ENworld?

themind said:
If possible, we could try and do our RPing there and keep links and updates of certain things on our website.
I agree, we should try that sometime.

Rapida

First Post
I'm currently playing in 4 PbP but I've had a lot die on me. It is really up to the players and the DM to keep it active, if either party slacks off then the game dies. Also you can't keep the whole party waiting for one party member to roll initiative or something. The DM needs to know when to take over.

themind

Explorer
In my game, I have adopting the rule of rolling all Initiatives so we can get the Battle going faster. I also roll certain skill, and save attempts if I don' want to bog down the game with waiting. We also set a limit for posting in a battle.

If the next person in Initiative doesn't post within 2 days of an update, then I NPC the character for the round, this and me rolling the initiatives was actually suggested by the players.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Xen155 said:
Did you use PbP specific forum or did you play at a place like ENworld?
EN World, though I've tried it at another forum I frequent too.

I must admit, I'm not a GMF member (I don't know much about it) and when I clicked on the thread it was from the 'Recent Forum Topics' sidebar on the front page--therefore, I didn't know it was a GMF thread at the time. :heh:

Sorry for barging in?

Last edited:

Catavarie

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
EN World, though I've tried it at another forum I frequent too.

I must admit, I'm not a GMF member (I don't know much about it) and when I clicked on the thread it was from the 'Recent Forum Topics' sidebar on the front page--therefore, I didn't know it was a GMF thread at the time. :heh:

Sorry for barging in?

Don't be sorry for replying, although we like to think of ourselves as an entity we always enjoy seeing new faces. The GMF is a group of GMs and players that have decided to come together and help each other become better GMs through experience and advice colums such as Nightcloaks infamous GM Notebook. Everyone is always welcome here either as just a lurker or as a active member. We just try to keep teh atmosphere light and family friendly. So feel free to join in the festivities and the leave your opinions where ever you like. :)

Remove ads