PbtA Games: Sell One Well +

My recommendation is Night Witches by Jason Morningstar, where you play the pilots of the Soviet 588th Night Bomber Regiment, the only all-woman regiment in WW2 (true story). By night, they flew obsolete biplanes to bomb the invading fascists. By day, they had to survive life in Stalin's Red Army.

The game splits up the cycle of play into day and night, with different focus of play in each. And there's an extensive 33-part campaign based on the historical missions of the 588th.

I wrote a review of it ages ago over here...

Aldarc

Legend
To what end? Most AP's I've seen tend to lean more toward entertainment value, without giving much justice to the rules of whatever game is being played

However (and I may have linked this upthread at some point) the upcoming Stonetop game has had some nice youtube APs that also talks about the mechanics as they go
According to Jeremy Strandberg, their Blinding Light campaign is on its 49th play session and ongoing. I think that this is a pretty good sign that PbtA games can do longer-term campaigns.

He also posted another giant post on his blog - Playing Stonetop (and Other PbtA Games) - that I think is worth reading.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Speaking of Monster of the Week: I find the Investigate a Mystery and Read a Bad Situation results to be... limiting. In that you're limited to the questions it lists and can only ask whatever question you want when you advance the move. Would it make a mess of anything to allow people to ask whatever question they want even pre-advancement? Just in case the players come up with a good question that isn't on the list?

niklinna

satisfied?
Speaking of Monster of the Week: I find the Investigate a Mystery and Read a Bad Situation results to be... limiting. In that you're limited to the questions it lists and can only ask whatever question you want when you advance the move. Would it make a mess of anything to allow people to ask whatever question they want even pre-advancement? Just in case the players come up with a good question that isn't on the list?
Seems to me the limited # of questions is the key factor, and the questions themselves are best suggestions. Give it a try and see how it goes! But I'd still require the questions to be pretty focused.

Aldarc

Legend
Try it out first. Similar Moves exist in other PbtA games, and I have found that these questions suffice and help provide some structure for player questions.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Try it out first. Similar Moves exist in other PbtA games, and I have found that these questions suffice and help provide some structure for player questions.
Like any other game, you need to achieve a certain level of Keeper experience before the pieces all fall naturally into place. IMO anyway.

Remove ads