• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E PC races that a DM has specifically excluded from their campaign and why

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Again, yes and no. Because, sure, your map in Arkenforge can be massive, you're still limited by other people's connections and, IME, any image over 1 meg and you're starting to have issues. So, yeah, you're looking at about (presuming 50 pixel grids) about 50x50 maps tend to be about is big as it gets. Plus, again, in play, combat almost never happens at more than about 100 feet between combatants and that's pretty rare. Typically combat starts up around 50 feet apart (ish). So, sure, the party can start up the fight at hundreds of feet away, but, there are so many impediments to that:

• Line of sight. It's nearly impossible to have lines of sight that far. For one, night fighting limits you to 60 feet or less. Indoor never has areas that big. So, right off the bat, the majority of encounters are closer. Even outdoors, unless you're fighting in flat, open fields, you rarely have sight lines of more than a couple of hundred feet at the absolute outside and most of the time, it's far, far shorter.
  • Most of the time, the party isn't hunting the bad guys. So, the encounter, which may or may not be a combat encounter, typically starts within talking distance.

So, no, it almost never works that way in play. Unless you're fighting on water, battlefields in D&D are virtually never that large. You simply can't see that far.
No I'm literally not limited by a connection because the only connection between my laptop & the players is an HDMI cable connected to the tvbox where a chessex battlemat might be. I run my games like that in person meatspace ttrpg gaming on a real in person table. Yes line of sight should have been an issue considered in the ranges of ranged weapons & feats that extend ranges... but it wasn't.

edit: I mentioned fantasy grounds earlier because I'm pretty sure it cam be configured to run locally like I do with arkenforge

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
No I'm literally not limited by a connection because the only connection between my laptop & the players is an HDMI cable connected to the tvbox where a chessex battlemat might be. I run my games like that in person meatspace ttrpg gaming on a real in person table. Yes line of sight should have been an issue considered in the ranges of ranged weapons & feats that extend ranges... but it wasn't.

edit: I mentioned fantasy grounds earlier because I'm pretty sure it cam be configured to run locally like I do with arkenforge
Ah, sorry, misunderstood your setup. Was thinking VTT, not face to face. My bad.

But, again, seriously, who made your maps then? Because I have never even heard of this sort of problem in D&D. Heck, my problem has always been the other way - the maps are just too freaking small as soon as you move away from the standard D&D setup. Try running ship to ship combat on a 5 foot per square scale. It really doesn't work.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Ah, sorry, misunderstood your setup. Was thinking VTT, not face to face. My bad.

But, again, seriously, who made your maps then? Because I have never even heard of this sort of problem in D&D. Heck, my problem has always been the other way - the maps are just too freaking small as soon as you move away from the standard D&D setup. Try running ship to ship combat on a 5 foot per square scale. It really doesn't work.
I use a variety of maps, some I make myself, some I use from the arkenforge premade ones, some from cze & peku, other times I generate things direct from flowscape like described in this post. The key difference between arkenforge & something like roll20's maps is that Instead of setting the map as 20x20 50x50 or whatever I can just scroll over/out & there is more room. It's kinda like taking a mini off a battlemat but having the grid continue forever so the only real loss is that the mini is on a blank space with grid if a token is moved off whatever the "map" is.

For example,
I could have kept scrolling till those individal levels of the map were a single pixel & kept going. That little speck on the left is a dragon that's off the map.
1627361393062.png

The squares start merging five or ten to one as you scroll out, I'm not sure the exact merge rate. Here is the black dragon on the left beside a PC in a 5 ft square, both are technically off the map. I ca mousewheel to scroll in/out or middle click drag to scroll around but I think there are keyboard commands for them too
1627361655209.png
I can independently control what part of the map is displayed on my screen & what part is displayed on the tvbox to players using an overlay box thing so can do stuff in different parts of the map as needed without giving it away like this video shows.

Hussar

Legend
Oh, I get that. No problems, but, that map is exactly what I mean. None of the encounters for that map should be happening at hundreds of feet away. I'm just sure I really think that the enhanced movement of a Tabaxi is all that much of an issue. Not that many encounters will occur at the ranges where it will matter much.

Not that it can't mind you. I do recall that a lot of the Storm King's Thunder maps are pretty darn big. Fair enough. But, that's somewhat of an exception IMO.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Oh, I get that. No problems, but, that map is exactly what I mean. None of the encounters for that map should be happening at hundreds of feet away. I'm just sure I really think that the enhanced movement of a Tabaxi is all that much of an issue. Not that many encounters will occur at the ranges where it will matter much.

Not that it can't mind you. I do recall that a lot of the Storm King's Thunder maps are pretty darn big. Fair enough. But, that's somewhat of an exception IMO.
That was just a random map I chose & loaded because it is one that others can look up to see scale. Remember though, I make a lot of my own maps & use maps used by others rather than exclusively using Wotc hardcover maps. If a race requires that only indoor maps be used to avoid trivializing 5e's already god awful grid combat it should be a giant red flag for that race

Hussar

Legend
That was just a random map I chose & loaded because it is one that others can look up to see scale. Remember though, I make a lot of my own maps & use maps used by others rather than exclusively using Wotc hardcover maps. If a race requires that only indoor maps be used to avoid trivializing 5e's already god awful grid combat it should be a giant red flag for that race
But, that's not what I said.

What I said was that nearly all the maps in adventures wouldn't have this problem. Extremely few encounters begin at hundreds of feet away. Most start within a single double move distance - so say 50-100 feet at the most. Add in any weather, lighting conditions, trees and hills, etc, and having a 90 foot movement doesn't really matter. I mean, if you're using these wide open maps where having this sort of movement rate matters, why don't you have problems with a mount? A warhorse has a base speed of 60 feet. Why isn't that a problem? A tabaxi at best can only move 60 feet for one round, well 90 with a double move. The next round, it can't move at all if it wants to use it's speed again.

A warhorse moves 120 feet with a double move and never has to recharge. Again, I'm really not seeing the problem here. A 2nd level monk can move 80 feet every round and that certainly doesn't break the game. Why is this an issue?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Thanks for you reply. It seems to match my experience, as well.

I was considering some kind of resource spend with flying to at least make players think tactically before they take off. A point of exhaustion if misused is one idea, but I haven't yet figured out how to define misuse. A cool down period every other round due to the rigors of flying in combat? A 5% chance of getting winged while in the air which will require a long rest to heal? Perhaps the right player doesn't need these things, but the temptation to avoid combat and focus on exploits I'm learning is pretty great.
I think there are plenty of ways to make flying challenging - essentially any adventure that is not open country becomes tricky - tangled forests, underground...maybe a swampy region which is covered by mist severely limiting range of vision - warning people that fly too high that they might attract flying monsters....incompatibility of armour with flying....weather...rain might make it hard, maybe very windy above 10 metres in height...

Fascinating discussion about flying PC races as I could see both sides of the argument.

I think maybe also that aarakocra could be considered one of those concocted races like goliaths, tieflings, dragonborn, kender, tortles and others that don't have a body of folklore behind them. The race came first and the stories after, though really old ones like drow and aarakocra have been around so long that they have 40+ years of lore behind them.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
But, that's not what I said.

What I said was that nearly all the maps in adventures wouldn't have this problem. Extremely few encounters begin at hundreds of feet away. Most start within a single double move distance - so say 50-100 feet at the most. Add in any weather, lighting conditions, trees and hills, etc, and having a 90 foot movement doesn't really matter. I mean, if you're using these wide open maps where having this sort of movement rate matters, why don't you have problems with a mount? A warhorse has a base speed of 60 feet. Why isn't that a problem? A tabaxi at best can only move 60 feet for one round, well 90 with a double move. The next round, it can't move at all if it wants to use it's speed again.

A warhorse moves 120 feet with a double move and never has to recharge. Again, I'm really not seeing the problem here. A 2nd level monk can move 80 feet every round and that certainly doesn't break the game. Why is this an issue?
Any time the pcs get to go on the offensive after someone or yo on the offensive after scouting initiative can start where the players do something to appear hostile... And 5e gives them ample tools to make that happen at a range of hundreds of feet, that was why I mentioned ranges. Every time reinforcements are coming or opponents are running that move speed trivializes things. Likewise with every chase scene is simply "no I win" unless the distance is extreme or reasons are created to duesexmschina the whole thing if the nontabaxi players ever had a chance. There is also like I said before the fact that the tabaxi speed allows them to completely bypass front line types if indoor rooms aren't filled like a clown car, I think you missed the significance of that because you likely take a different view of 5e's unforgivably atrocious grid combat support than I do.

Mounts are not an issue because unlike the legs of a playerthey have so many weakness including being very obvious low hp bad saves can be spooked are big have grazing or similar needs etc.

I haven't banned any official races from a game yet, though I did have someone want to play a homebrew skeleton "race" and rejected it.

One player in my current campaign is a dragonborn, which are rare in that part of the world, so I had a bit of fun with many NPCs initially assuming he was either a full-blown half-dragon or an unusually tall kobold.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer

Best use I got out of a Tabaxi's "cheetah sprint" was to run down a fleeing enemy from behind.

Remove ads