D&D 5E PC races that a DM has specifically excluded from their campaign and why

Hussar

Legend
Any time the pcs get to go on the offensive after someone or yo on the offensive after scouting initiative can start where the players do something to appear hostile... And 5e gives them ample tools to make that happen at a range of hundreds of feet, that was why I mentioned ranges. Every time reinforcements are coming or opponents are running that move speed trivializes things. Likewise with every chase scene is simply "no I win" unless the distance is extreme or reasons are created to duesexmschina the whole thing if the nontabaxi players ever had a chance. There is also like I said before the fact that the tabaxi speed allows them to completely bypass front line types if indoor rooms aren't filled like a clown car, I think you missed the significance of that because you likely take a different view of 5e's unforgivably atrocious grid combat support than I do.

Mounts are not an issue because unlike the legs of a playerthey have so many weakness including being very obvious low hp bad saves can be spooked are big have grazing or similar needs etc.
The same applies to lots of characters though. Chase scenes are pretty much won by the fastest. Do you not have monks or barbarians or wood elves in your group? Heck, a monk/rogue is massively faster than a tabaxi. You get an extra 30 feet of movement, once. How is this bypassing anything? Again, in 10 rounds, that Tabaxi could potentially move 450 feet. My monk/rogue does the same distance in 4 rounds and never has to stop moving. Totally not seeing the issue here.

I mean, you're talking about starting the encounter from 300 feet. A Tabaxi closes that distance at exactly the same speed as any other character. Maybe gets there one round early because of a single bonus 30 feet. I mean, the barbarian has a base movement of 40. Your Tabaxi in the first round moves 90 feet, my barbarian moves 80. Second round, tabaxi moves 60 feet (total 150) and the barbarian moves 160. :erm:

How is this a problem? I could see bigger issues with the climb speed since that lets a tabaxi character totally bypass many challenges. But a bonus 30 feet of movement every other round? Whoopee. :erm:

Hussar

Legend
I haven't banned any official races from a game yet, though I did have someone want to play a homebrew skeleton "race" and rejected it.

One player in my current campaign is a dragonborn, which are rare in that part of the world, so I had a bit of fun with many NPCs initially assuming he was either a full-blown half-dragon or an unusually tall kobold.
Would that be this one:
Had that in my Dragon heist game. Turned out to be a fascinating character. Although, to be fair, that had a lot to do with the player. Certainly no mechanical issues though.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
How is this a problem? I could see bigger issues with the climb speed since that lets a tabaxi character totally bypass many challenges. But a bonus 30 feet of movement every other round? Whoopee. :erm:
Even the climb speed isn't that big a deal. It only means that climbing doesn't cost extra movement. They get no special advantage if determining the outcome of a climb calls for a check such as with a sheer or slippery cliff, climbing while avoiding hazards, or trying to avoid being knocked off.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The same applies to lots of characters though. Chase scenes are pretty much won by the fastest. Do you not have monks or barbarians or wood elves in your group? Heck, a monk/rogue is massively faster than a tabaxi. You get an extra 30 feet of movement, once. How is this bypassing anything? Again, in 10 rounds, that Tabaxi could potentially move 450 feet. My monk/rogue does the same distance in 4 rounds and never has to stop moving. Totally not seeing the issue here.

I mean, you're talking about starting the encounter from 300 feet. A Tabaxi closes that distance at exactly the same speed as any other character. Maybe gets there one round early because of a single bonus 30 feet. I mean, the barbarian has a base movement of 40. Your Tabaxi in the first round moves 90 feet, my barbarian moves 80. Second round, tabaxi moves 60 feet (total 150) and the barbarian moves 160. :erm:

five feet and thirty feet are different planets. On top of that in combat the player can recharge it by going through the arduous task of spending one round in melee attacking an opponent that lasts more than the initial attack or attack chain allowing barry allen to zip off again as soon as the opponent dies.

Argyle King

Legend
Changelings...

I get the idea behind what they're supposed to represent -especially in a setting like Eberron, but (anecdotally) it often seems to be problem players which gravitate toward them.

Honestly though, the thing which left me with a bad impression of them was being a player in a game where Changelings were used as a what I can only describe as a "Deus-ex-screw-over-the-players" button whenever he didn't like the results of something.

///
"Ah-ha, but that wasn't the actual BBEG, it was a Changeling posing as him."
That got pretty old fast.

or...

He knew your plans because the shopkeeper was secretly actually the BBEG and he only sold the magic items he knew he'd have a counter against.
\\\

Yeah, okay, I suppose in a setting about political intrigue and war that some aspect of paranoia makes sense, but I'm struggling to understand how any of the societies of the setting function if virtually any decision you make could actually turn out to be life-ruining.

For similar reasons, I don't like Marvel Skrulls. Though, in that case, I also see having shapeshifters as a form of lazy writing.

No, [person] didn't actually die because it was secretly this completely other being which had a perfect mastery of pretending to be [person] the whole time.

Remove ads