D&D 5E People don't read the 5E DMG for a reason

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
sorry i think i may have misinterpreted your previous message? possibly?
Appears likely
i believed this part of your message was saying that a more extended rest recovery of gritty realism adventure schedule was bad because then longer duration spells don't cover the majority of the 'adventuring day'
Calling it "bad" is an insult to bad things everywhere. No part of 5e was designed to work nicely with a shift like that. The ugly hack calling itself"gritty realism" is such a half baked mess of an afterthought that it both creates new problems while failing to accomplish the thing it claims to. The recovery is still an explosive total recovery & the bar that needs to be met to take one is still somewhere well south of what we might call humanitarian crisis war crimes and more.

all players need to do in order to make the change irrelevant is cross their arms and say "ok and? We are still taking one" when the gm reminds them or "well let's try again" if interrupted. Much like the background features being discussed in the do you plan to adopt thread, resting in 5e is designed to thwart "mother may I" to such an extreme degree that it hands authority over a successful rest to the wrong side of the gm screen and then implicitly says "well use fiat and prove [the design] right that you can't be trusted with authority over mother may I if you don't like it".

Gradual recovery of some resources (ie hp) and varying trivial to sometimes extreme difficulty of removing lingering effects are critical components to resting based recovery in an attrition based game.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Appears likely

Calling it "bad" is an insult to bad things everywhere. No part of 5e was designed to work nicely with a shift like that. The ugly hack calling itself"gritty realism" is such a half baked mess of an afterthought that it both creates new problems while failing to accomplish the thing it claims to. The recovery is still an explosive total recovery & the bar that needs to be met to take one is still somewhere well south of what we might call humanitarian crisis war crimes and more.

all players need to do in order to make the change irrelevant is cross their arms and say "ok and? We are still taking one" when the gm reminds them or "well let's try again" if interrupted. Much like the background features being discussed in the do you plan to adopt thread, resting in 5e is designed to thwart "mother may I" to such an extreme degree that it hands authority over a successful rest to the wrong side of the gm screen and then implicitly says "well use fiat and prove [the design] right that you can't be trusted with authority over mother may I if you don't like it".

Gradual recovery of some resources (or hp) and varying trivial to sometimes extreme difficulty of removing lingering effects are critical components to resting based recovery in an attrition based game.
This is the great thing about the haven system in Level Up. Players don't get to just decide they're at a haven.

Remove ads