Percy Jackson Novels...any good?

Grymar

Explorer
I haven't seen the recent movie, but the trailer made for a fun idea. Are the 5 books in the series worth reading? I normally go for darker stuff, but I also have enjoyed the Harry Potter books, so I don't mind something lighter.

What do you think?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I've only read the first--it's a great , fun read, especially if you have a moderate interest in Greek mythology. It's definitey geared towards kids, but it's well written and fun. The movie doesn't come close to doing it justice (which is normal, right?).

My girlfriend has read all five and adores them. She wasn't very much into Greek mythology before, and now she finds it really interesting.

So, high praise from over here.

Jdvn1

My 10-year-old daughter really likes them.

I couldn't get past the second chapter of the first book.
It may start off a little slow, I don't remember. I book-traded with my girlfriend--I agreed to read one of her books if she agreed to read one of mine--so I had to get through it. It certainly got better once the characters had a chance to shine.

That's my opinion, anyways.

Crothian

First Post
I did not like the style of writing. It was defiantly aimed at kids and that did not appeal to me. I read a few pages, flipped to the back to see if it was the same and it was so I moved on to something more suited to my own tastes.

I hear great things about them from all the boys I know aged about 15 or younger.

I hear that they're boring, cliched and kinda vapid from anyone over 15 who's read them.

I thought the movie was pretty fun, though. My son and his friends got their first introduction to seeing an unfaithful adaptation of a book that they really liked, which was cute.

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
It may start off a little slow, I don't remember. I book-traded with my girlfriend--I agreed to read one of her books if she agreed to read one of mine--so I had to get through it. It certainly got better once the characters had a chance to shine.

I was in pretty much the same spot as Crothian...

I did not like the style of writing. It was defiantly aimed at kids and that did not appeal to me. I read a few pages, flipped to the back to see if it was the same and it was so I moved on to something more suited to my own tastes.

...I just simply couldn't get into it.

Jdvn1

I was in pretty much the same spot as Crothian...

...I just simply couldn't get into it.
I have the same problem with Harry Potter and the Dresden Files. I think they're both quite poorly written, though I'm told Harry Potter gets better.

I don't claim that Percy Jackson is literature--I tend to read more literary things, anyways--but it's a fun story when you get into it. And, certainly, it's an interesting take on classic stories.

As a side note, everyone's piling on the hate on Percy!

Punnuendo

First Post
A lot of my friends in their mid 20s really enjoyed the books. I tried reading the first one and just bogged down a couple of chapters in with the writing. Just didn't do it for me.

On the other hand, I enjoyed the film and all my friends hated it, so there is that.

Remove ads