D&D 5E PHB: New Subsystems?

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
So I have vowed not to buy the new PHB and make do with the PDF, well knowing that I'd miss several things.

Still I'd like to know what I'll be missing. :)

The PHB will of course have lots of MotS (races, classes, backgrounds, spells,...), but what about variants and/or subsystems. The one I know of is:

1. Feats

If you find something fpr my list, please add it.

Li Shenron

Legend
Only feats and multiclassing I suppose, unless you also want to count subclasses as a "subsystem".

Then in a wider sense, the Battlemaster's maneuvers, the Sorcerer's metamagics, the Warlock's invocations, the Monk's ki abilities, and possibly more things could be said to form "subsystems". They are attached to specific classes, but they could also become rules of their own available to other characters.

edit: There's little rules subsystems in the PHB because in a sense it's like the first "splatbooks"

Last edited:

MortalPlague

Adventurer
A bunch more races. More subclasses. A physical book to have at the game table. Lovely, lavish artwork and production.

Many more spells, classes, subclasses, etc. Feats. Multiclassing. Many more backgrounds.

If you're playing a lot of 5th Edition, if you're trying basic and enjoying it, the PHB is a great pickup. If you're just looking to try it out, the basic PDF is your friend, and you can have a great game with that alone.

Evenglare

Adventurer
So I have vowed not to buy the new PHB and make do with the PDF, well knowing that I'd miss several things.

Still I'd like to know what I'll be missing. :)

The PHB will of course have lots of MotS (races, classes, backgrounds, spells,...).

What the hell is MotS? Sorry I hate acronyms with a passion.

Remove ads