PHB3 cover!

Wormwood

Adventurer
It seems WotC is determined to screw over those of us who want to play necromancers.

Some possible reasons we have no 4e Necromancers:

1. Insufficient interest.
2. Difficult to fit them properly in the 4e design space.
3. Wizards hates you.

I really don't think I was getting enough value for my money anyway with Insider. A clunky compendium, a character builder (many, many free ones for 3.5) and frankly, the articles are rather...3 pages of fluff, 3 new powers you can supposedly use to flavor your character (which all become obsolete,, as per 4e's power swap), and...19:98 of a 3 month subscription down the drain. No way am I renewing that.

The Compendium is clunky, the 4e Character Builder is not *amazingly* superior to Heroforge and its ilk, and the Dungeon/Dragon articles are useless?

Let's just say that I have no idea what you are talking about.

Nymrohd

First Post
Hmm yes some form of runecaster would be nice to have. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed made a very decent attempt at a runecaster but both TSR and WotC D&D always lacked a well thought rune based class which is a same given how classic a concept runic magic is (they did make some attempts, like the runecaster from the Giants book from AD&D FR, but that was really just a concept).

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I couldn't help myself because I agree with the sentiment behind the joke: you take a clerk and send him off to fight monsters.

I still think it's cool, but I'm a weirdo and think the concept of a butt-kicking librarian slaying monsters with the power of the Dewey Decimal System is really rather amazing.

But I guess I'm strange, so I'm apparently the only one who cares that 4e wizards don't adequately represent that archetype....oh well. :heh:

Quickleaf

Legend
Michael Komarck is the man. Why they weren't using his art for their PHB covers before is beyond me.

I'm surprised they want to add more divine or primal classes - both seem full of great concepts already. I suspect the subtitle is a temporary hack, and we'll see only new power sources in PH3.

lutecius

Explorer
I love the cover. Easily the best 4e cover so far, and I don't even care for giths. I bet Michael Komarck could have made the tiefling and dragonborn look cool.

As for the power sources...
Wow, more primal and divine. It seems WotC is determined to screw over those of us who want to play necromancers. We've had 2 PHBs, and frankly, we've had more options with the 3.5 CORE RULES. I have no real hope for the psionics, as frankly, the power system has really killed their main schtick, and we had it confirmed that most of the enchantment abilities are going to the psion instead of the wizard, supposedly for class diversity but really so WoTC can sell more books. [...] And MORE primal and divine seem to be "hey, lets fill out the book so we don't have to introduce more power sources! You have to buy PHB 4 too, suckers!"
xps for saving me the trouble of typing this myself.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I could very well imagine Michael Komarck's costs for doing artwork is much higher then some artist. Which could very well explain the lack of his artwork all over 4e.

Him and Diterlizzi are my favourite D&D artist.

Nymrohd

First Post
Hmm I just noticed, the playtest in the Calendar has changed to hybrid characters alongside a Design and Development article: Editorial Calendar

I think they need to find some way to make DDI articles more secure and harder to pirate, and fast. Every article is available for free immediately after release on several spots. Would it be that bad if the individual articles were only available while logged in and the issue compilation was watermarked?

chaotix42

First Post
Great cover! I knew gith were gonna be in there! I wonder if they'll put both githyanki and githzerai in the PH3 in a fashion similar to shifters?

The gith is obviously a monk... I wonder what the minotaur is?

Remove ads