Picard season 2 (spoilers maybe unmarked)

MarkB

Legend
Yes, but my point was that they didn't speak to Picard.
Yet. The Queen said she needed to negotiate, but needed power first. Despite how it ended, I think we'll be coming back to that scene at some point in the series.

EDIT: And actually, she did speak to Picard, even if all she said was "look up."

I counted two previous episodes of Trek being named dropped both dealing with time travel and a mirror universe. Then they name-dropped a movie.

I'm betting that Ferengi skull was Grand Nagus Zek.

Mallus

Legend
I have a feeling this specific bit is about Patrick Stewart's past. His dad was abusive. There seemed to be a hint of the same in the flashback.
I had forgotten this. I rewatched the first episode and it really changes how the flashback lands.
Didn't we, though? This season is about the road not taken - about an alternate timeline. I'm betting that the seeds of that were sown during that part of Picard's childood.
I agree they were laying the season's themes out on the table, and they did it quickly (I suppose in answer to the criticisms of season one). I think I biggest problem was the flashback seemed a bit crude. But is does make sense as a traumatized boy's memories; rendering them as a dream-like horror movie. I was probably subconsciously comparing the episode to Station Eleven (which I just binged). That show was a masterclass in flashbacks and showing the past & present in communication with each in other.

Now for S02E02. Still processing, but this should go down as one of the most entertaining hours in all of Star Trek. Jurati continues to be a delight, the writing is clever (so much banter in a fascist hell-scape!), and we got to see something new: Q legitimately angry. And frightened.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is pretty good! Though Patrick Stewart seems so old these days. It feels like he’s overtaken Shatner!

Remove ads