Picard season 2 (spoilers maybe unmarked)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Slightly OT, there is already a teaser for season 3 and the list of the cast.

Could be great! What I REALLY hope it's not is "let's take these great characters down a peg or 2" as seems to be the trend in recent Star Trek!

S2E6

This is an ok episode...until you remember that it is built on nothing other then "lets do a Picard show". Enjoy the show, but don't think about the horrible broken useless characters that really don't have anything much to "save"...except Elf Boy.

WHY does anyone in Picard WANT to "save" the future? No reason...

WHY is the future even broken...err.....borg and supspace wedgie and um time travel and um...Q there for NO reason...and um.....vague sort of plot.

Oh...no hope Picard does not die...again....and get magicaly saved....again (as we know he is in season 3 right, wink wink)

Er, so guess the borg queen unlocked the handcuffs with keyed nanoprobes?

OK...so the borg queen nanites....um...knock out the lights.....ok.

So...um...so do nanites also give Jeriti a great singing voice?

And...umm...how does Jeriti or the borg queen even KNOW a 20th century song?

And WHERE does that spot light come from? Nanite spot light?

And big AND...um....just HOW does the band just HAPPEN to know the song? And WHY exactly do they just RANDOMLY play the song?

And if the song was a distraction.....why would any security watch and listen to the song?

So Evil Adam has a huge lab FULL of all sorts of chemicals? Wonder why he can't just give Renne something. Even something simple....like the flu or Covid or such would keep her out of space, right?

So Picard is stuck in that really dumb looking mom dream...sigh, guess we will waste more time on that.

But we do get to see the pretty doctor again

And gosh hope the Borg don't take over 2024.....

DataAdamLore shows up to be evil....and I really hate the "save the girl" motivation. It's such a cheat and cop out "oh Adam is not a bad guy, he just wants to help his daughter." Just make him a bad guy with no whiney stuff.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I think you're being a bit uncharitable!
S2E6

This is an ok episode...until you remember that it is built on nothing other then "lets do a Picard show". Enjoy the show, but don't think about the horrible broken useless characters that really don't have anything much to "save"...except Elf Boy.
Well, the future is where they have all their stuff!

Plus the alternate future they found themselves in seemed to be a living hell, especially for those not of a very specific mindset.

And as importantly, because it's the right thing to do - that's always a star trek goto

WHY is the future even broken...err.....borg and supspace wedgie and um time travel and um...Q there for NO reason...and um.....vague sort of plot.

Because Q is a plot device, that's how he works. Though I'm not particularly thrilled with Q as an actual antagonist (if, in fact, that's what's going on) Q doesn't really work as an antagonist!

Oh...no hope Picard does not die...again....and get magicaly saved....again (as we know he is in season 3 right, wink wink)
That's basically a problem with ANY main character on ANY show. The real question is: will the process of his recovery be interesting.

And WHERE does that spot light come from? Nanite spot light?

And big AND...um....just HOW does the band just HAPPEN to know the song? And WHY exactly do they just RANDOMLY play the song?

And if the song was a distraction.....why would any security watch and listen to the song?

So Evil Adam has a huge lab FULL of all sorts of chemicals? Wonder why he can't just give Renne something. Even something simple....like the flu or Covid or such would keep her out of space, right?

So Picard is stuck in that really dumb looking mom dream...sigh, guess we will waste more time on that.

But we do get to see the pretty doctor again

And gosh hope the Borg don't take over 2024.....

DataAdamLore shows up to be evil....and I really hate the "save the girl" motivation. It's such a cheat and cop out "oh Adam is not a bad guy, he just wants to help his daughter." Just make him a bad guy with no whiney stuff.

And these are all "well because plot..." Frankly I've seen much worse and at least this seems to be going to some interesting places!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've really liked this season so fat, but this is the first episode I didn't like much. I didn't hate it, but it kinda felt like it was treading water. And next week is a dream sequence/flashback of Picard's childhood? I'm not looking forward to that much either!

Still, TNG reunion for s3 I AM looking forward to!

Mallus

Legend
Hit it!
Why does anyone want to fight the Nazis? What are the Allies motivation?
The probes made Agnes stronger (presumably tougher, too, since she didn't injure herself). Rios notes how strong she is later in the episode.
They generated an EMP. It's in the dialogue.
And why can Christopher Walken dance so good?!!!
Have you never met a nerd? A college buddy of mine could recite some of Beowulf in Old English. Heck, I can quote a 400+ year-old play from memory:

"T'is a tale told by an idiot
full of sound and fury
signifying nothing."
And WHERE does that spot light come from?
It's a ritzy gala with a full band on stage. Did you really need to see Chekhov's Spotlight?
Jurati started singing a capella. They followed along. Granted, it was way too polished.
Because it was an astounding thing. Even for the TV audience at home!
Wonder why he can't just give Renne something. Even something simple....like the flu or Covid or such would keep her out of space, right?
Because they would just postpone the mission? The plan is to make her give up. To choose fear over bravery and hope. A Picard choosing something might be the theme this season...
I agree about the mom dream. The way they're shot doesn't really work for me.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
S2E6

It's more complex than that. He's not saving his daughter. He's saving his life's work. Quite literally. We're coming up on the Eugenics War. She is a genetic construct. A vat grown human, with 'enhancements.' Apparently his experiments were less than successful, because she has survived the longest of any that he has created. She was the last that he could create because his funding was pulled, and he was outcast from academia. it's all there in the episode.

It's not love that makes him want to save her. It's pride. And hubris.

Still, TNG reunion for s3 I AM looking forward to!

This brings up a though I had for a while. When Picard began, we got to see a wrecked Romulan civilization, along with good-guy and neutral-framed Romulans. It would have been an interesting time to check in on Commander Sela -- she could continue to be dangerous antagonist, could have been a broken wreck, could have been simply made irrelevant and drinking in a bar slurring 'I ushed ta be a somebudy!' It would have been a perfect time to utilize Denise Crosby.

As we've learned more and more about the toxicity that plagued the Berman and Braga era, the less and less I trust the old adages that such and such actor/actress left for personal reasons/was a ____ <negative term>/wanted more than a TV supporting role. Crosby's supposed 'I'm going to go be a movie star' thing seems 1) an incredibly skewed account, and 2) honestly the kind of (admittedly petulant) retort you might make when leaving a nightmare job. Of all the actors that left the show, she got the double indignity of being killed off (so harder to bring back as a regular, say, McFadden) right before TNG show blew up in popularity, and having negative connotations about her circulated throughout the fandom.

Regardless, it's too bad they haven't used her as Sela, and it's too bad it sounds like Season 3 will bring back Burton, Dorn, Frakes, Sirtis, and Spiner, but not Crosby or Wheaton (who also kinda got the shaft on the show, although in that case for the more innocent 'writers didn't know how to write for a child character').

MarkB

Legend
You understand what quarantine is and why it's there, right? Anything she catches now, she'll have recovered from by the time the mission launches.

Remove ads