Picking 2 out of 264 spells

WilliamCQ

Explorer
I wanted to know general suggestions 1st. Now perhaps there would be different ones letting you know of the class of the PC: sword bard (XGE).

gyor

Legend
Find Familiar and Find Steed, these aren't just spells, they function almost as class features as others have said in the past.

Evan Perry

First Post
Better yet, once someone is all wrapped up good in your web, hit'em with grease and a firebolt and you have deep friend orcs.
Best served before the DM knows your trolling him.

jgsugden

Legend
If this is for a melee spellcaster with full spell progression, Armor of Agathys (non-concentration, temp hp, deals a lot of damage without using any actions in combat) is a good choice from an efficiency standpoint. I'd be tempted to say Simulacrum as spell number 2, but Counterspell is my choice.

You did not list cantrips, but if they were on the table, there are some gret cantrips to take...

Riley37

First Post
This sounds like a D&D Informercial.

It's a reference to a flowchart of engineering problems. If it moves, and it should, good. If it does not move, and it should not move, good. If it moves, and it should not, then apply duct tape. If it should move, and it does not move, then apply WD-40.

For example, if you have a spool of duct tape, but it doesn't unroll smoothly, apply WD-40. If you have a leaky can of WD-40, cover the leak with a patch of duct tape.

Riley37

First Post
I wanted to know general suggestions 1st. Now perhaps there would be different ones letting you know of the class of the PC: sword bard (XGE).

Then favor spells which are not on the sword bard spell list. As Gyor pointed out, Find Familiar and Find Steed have major utility, not just on the day you cast them. On another hand, you don't get any utility out of anything if you're dead, and two great spells for avoiding death are Shield and Absorb Elements.

ccs

41st lv DM

Hmm. Let me think about that for a moment.
Nope, my answer remains the same.
The answer is: The two that help you best portray whatever character you're envisioning. Pick those.

See, just telling me "Sword Bard" is still too vague. I can imagine all kinds of Sword Bard characters. And each of these might have completely different spells that help best represent them.
Since you're not telling me anything about your character (your class is only 1 aspect of your character) I can't narrow the spell choices down for you.

WilliamCQ

Explorer
If this is for a melee spellcaster with full spell progression, Armor of Agathys (non-concentration, temp hp, deals a lot of damage without using any actions in combat) is a good choice from an efficiency standpoint. I'd be tempted to say Simulacrum as spell number 2, but Counterspell is my choice.

You did not list cantrips, but if they were on the table, there are some gret cantrips to take...
Counterspell was not in the OP list because it was taken in the 1st Magical Secrets; same thing for cantrips (not in the OP list).

Then favor spells which are not on the sword bard spell list. As Gyor pointed out, Find Familiar and Find Steed have major utility, not just on the day you cast them. On another hand, you don't get any utility out of anything if you're dead, and two great spells for avoiding death are Shield and Absorb Elements.
"sword bard spell list" I don't have XGE, is there such a thing? If you have access to an electronic version of it, could you paste it (the sword bard spell list)? I compile different sites to make my sword bard, there could be some info that are on none of them.

aco175

Legend
I would like chromatic orb and protection from evil. One is handy like magic missile and can be used on almost anything and pro. evil is great to boost the fighter to not be hit as much.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases