D&D (2024) 2024 Player's Handbook preview: "New Spells"

I expect dodge is the same.

The advantage of this bladeward is that it's 1 action for multiple turns of protection. But I still don't see it being worth an action in battle.

It could be used before battle. Just walk around casting it every minute in case you get in a fight.

I'm going to house rule it to last an hour, but i still don't think many will take it.
Hmmh. That would have been a good idea. Having it last an hour or 10 minutes would tremendeously help.

And even if it just holds for 1 or 2 rounds in battle, it is niche to have.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
For Bladeward, a cantrip would have to be very good for me to dedicate concentration to it. I could perhaps see a scenario where I would use it as a low level caster with only cantrips remaining.

Otherwise, that concentration slot is where I do my work as a spellcaster. I'm using that slot to change the entire battle, not just for a buff that may not even come into play.

ECMO3

Legend
For Bladeward, a cantrip would have to be very good for me to dedicate concentration to it. I could perhaps see a scenario where I would use it as a low level caster with only cantrips remaining.

Otherwise, that concentration slot is where I do my work as a spellcaster. I'm using that slot to change the entire battle, not just for a buff that may not even come into play.

It depends on the build. An EK that either precasts it or casts it in the first round still gets an attack that round and effectively gets an additional average of 2.5 to their AC in addition to the 5 they are going to get with the shield spell.

Moreover because it does not use a slot, I expect everyone in the party who has it to cast it before they open a door or go down a dark hallway or any other time they think they could conceivably be attacked.

I expect the new Bladeward will replace Guidance and Silvery Barbs as the most annoying spell in the game.

SteveC

It depends on the build. An EK that either precasts it or casts it in the first round still gets an attack that round and effectively gets an additional average of 2.5 to their AC in addition to the 5 they are going to get with the shield spell.
This is a really good point. The issue I'd have with that is how often is spending my turn casting Blade Ward going to extend the combat by another round and potentially cause extra attacks.

I have played a lot of low level 5E combat with Solasta (the video game) and I find that at low level one action typically is one monster killed.

Chaosmancer

Legend
This is a really good point. The issue I'd have with that is how often is spending my turn casting Blade Ward going to extend the combat by another round and potentially cause extra attacks.

I have played a lot of low level 5E combat with Solasta (the video game) and I find that at low level one action typically is one monster killed.

But everyone is talking about using it outside of combat, not in combat.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It has been revisited in Tasha's cauldron. And had a quality of life change with extra attack. And a change of bladesong usage from 2/short rest to prof bonus per day.
But yes, there was some bad design at work. The bladesinger spells were not well balanced and also did not work well with the class they were designed for.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Back to topic:
RAW, the eldritch knight could not use shield and carry a shield because of hand free requirements.
Maybe the most simple solution would disallow shield to stack with a shield as mage armor does not work with armor.
That's a good idea.

Then I'd have it start at +3 and add +1 per spell level.
That way it is is not a straight nerf but if you really need more AC, you can use higher level slots.
That's good too.

SteveC

But everyone is talking about using it outside of combat, not in combat.
I suppose that depends on if your DM lets you spam it. Some of the comments here indicate that not everyone would let that happen. But I think I must concede that for a character like an EK where you can have it active at the start of combat, it sounds like it will be useful. So it did get better, since I don't think anyone used it previously.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I suppose that depends on if your DM lets you spam it. Some of the comments here indicate that not everyone would let that happen. But I think I must concede that for a character like an EK where you can have it active at the start of combat, it sounds like it will be useful. So it did get better, since I don't think anyone used it previously.

It also neatly solves an issue they had. Earth Genasi got the ability to use blade ward as a bonus action. With the reaction version of the cantrip, this didn't work. With this version of the cantrip, it is back to being a useful ability.

ECMO3

Legend
This is a really good point. The issue I'd have with that is how often is spending my turn casting Blade Ward going to extend the combat by another round and potentially cause extra attacks. I have played a lot of low level 5E combat with Solasta (the video game) and I find that at low level one action typically is one monster killed.

When it will be abused it will not be an entire action, but part of an action or it will happen before combat.

As I said on a an EK you can do this and still make an attack that round (based on the UA EK), and this is the class that will be immediately available that will abuse it. It will likely be abusable in this fashion for other Gish as well, including Bladesingers and probably Sword Bards, but this is not as big an issue because they will have other things competing for cocentration.

You are also going to get it precast before combat a lot I think since it does not use a spell slot.

Remove ads