D&D (2024) 2024 Player's Handbook preview: "New Spells"

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think that the fact a 1st level spell slot gains effectiveness while other 1st level spells lose relevance is an indicator of poor design IMO. A 1st level Burning Hands is meaningless at 10th level, a 1st level shield likely blocks more attacks at higher levels and costs negligible resources. This is compounded if you aren't running a bunch of MMO style trash encounters EVERY DAY like 5E assumes but few people actually play.

What effectiveness does Feather Fall lose between levels 1 and 10? Silent Image? Disguise Self? Unseen Servant? Detect Magic? Doesn't Protection from Good and Evil ALSO increase in effectiveness at higher levels, when undead, fiends and aberrations become more common and more likely to mind control a party member?

And shield does lose effectiveness, a higher to hit at higher levels, makes your AC less and less effective.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Yes. Maybe. But a feat is a resource cost too.

I had an eldritch knight with very high armor and shield. And it was annoying. Until we identified the actual problem: not enough encounters per long rest.
Until I can see how adventuring days work in 2024, i withhold my final judgement about the shield spell.

Yep, this is exactly what I am saying. If a character has invested in a class, subclass, spell choice, and feat to achieve a result, and one of the solutions to the "problem" is running a more encounters per day, so that the resources are being spent over more fights.... then is it really a problem?

I have not seen it mentioned here. But bladeward was changed to being a concentration spell that lasts one minute and gives attackers -1d4 to attacks.

I am not sure that this is a good one to be honest. Concentration is a harsh cost. But at least, i can see some uses for it.

g00se99994

Explorer
I have not seen it mentioned here. But bladeward was changed to being a concentration spell that lasts one minute and goves attackers -1d4 to attacks.

I am not sure that this is a good one to be honest. Concentration is a harsh cost. But at least, i can see some uses for it.
where did you see bladeward was changed to -1d4?

g00se99994

Explorer
I have not seen it mentioned here. But bladeward was changed to being a concentration spell that lasts one minute and gives attackers -1d4 to attacks.

Just noticing it takes your action. If you take the dodge action all enemies attack with disadvantage and you keep your concentration. Maybe they changed how dodge works?

mellored

Legend
Just noticing it takes your action. If you take the dodge action all enemies attack with disadvantage and you keep your concentration. Maybe they changed how dodge works?
I expect dodge is the same.

The advantage of this bladeward is that it's 1 action for multiple turns of protection. But I still don't see it being worth an action in battle.

It could be used before battle. Just walk around casting it every minute in case you get in a fight.

I'm going to house rule it to last an hour, but i still don't think many will take it.

I think it's now a spell to concentrate on when you have nothing else to concentrate on. You'll keep Bladeward up until you need to concentrate on something like Hypnotic Pattern.

You can put it up at will, so losing Bladeward isn't that big of a deal. What I see going against it though, is that it'll probably take an action to cast which is why it won't get used too often.

g00se99994

Explorer
I expect dodge is the same.

The advantage of this bladeward is that it's 1 action for multiple turns of protection. But I still don't see it being worth an action in battle.

It could be used before battle. Just walk around casting it every minute in case you get in a fight.

I'm going to house rule it to last an hour, but i still don't think many will take it.
My compromise would be very similar in that when initiative is rolled i'd just let them say they had it precast.

Remove ads