D&D General Piecing together the official maps of the Mortal World of Nerath

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
Cite the texts than seem inconsistent to you. I am interested in look at these closely.

Well, for instance, in Iomandra the inhabitants of Bael Turath became tieflings to oppose Arkhosia, and was eventually destroyed by the Arkhosians. In the D&D World of 4e, the inhabitants of Bael Turath became tieflings to crush the rebellions and other tribulations that were debilitating their empire way before the Turathi meet the Arkhosians for the first time (see Player's Handbook Races: Tieflings, among other sources).

While in Iomandra Arkhosia survived their meeting with Bael Turath and is still the ruling power of the world, in the D&D World of 4e, Arkhosia and Bael Turath destroyed each other in a series of devastating wars that left dragonborn and tieflings scattered all over the world (see Player's Handbook Races: Dragonborn, Player's Handbook Races: Tieflings, and many other sources).

Just to name a few.

Yaarel

He Mage
Well, for instance, in Iomandra the inhabitants of Bael Turath became tieflings to oppose Arkhosia, and was eventually destroyed by the Arkhosians. In the D&D World of 4e, the inhabitants of Bael Turath became tieflings to crush the rebellions and other tribulations that were debilitating their empire way before the Turathi meet the Arkhosians for the first time (see Player's Handbook Races: Tieflings, among other sources).
In Dungeon 171, Perkins writes: "I fell in love with the idea of two human kingdoms that were twisted reflections of one another, one utterly corrupted and destroyed (giving rise to the debased tieflings), the other reduced to a pale shadow of its former glory (giving rise to the divisive human baronies)."

Bael Turath was "corrupted" and infighting before becoming Tiefling. According to the fan site, they were infighting among themselves while fighting against dragonborn Arkhosia.

While in Iomandra Arkhosia survived their meeting with Bael Turath and is still the ruling power of the world, in the D&D World of 4e, Arkhosia and Bael Turath destroyed each other in a series of devastating wars that left dragonborn and tieflings scattered all over the world (see Player's Handbook Races: Dragonborn, Player's Handbook Races: Tieflings, and many other sources).
Compatible. Perkins chose an EARLIER time period before the destruction of Arkhosia and Bael Turath: "So, instead of casting Arkhosia into the mists of time, I made it a dying empire gasping its last breath."

I am not suggesting that Perkins in 2009 was planning to create the First World. I am saying he can reuse content from there for the upcoming First World.

Maybe when the upcoming book about giants comes out, it will give a clearer picture of what the First World will look like.

Haplo781

Legend
In Dungeon 171, Perkins writes: "I fell in love with the idea of two human kingdoms that were twisted reflections of one another, one utterly corrupted and destroyed (giving rise to the debased tieflings), the other reduced to a pale shadow of its former glory (giving rise to the divisive human baronies)."

Bael Turath was "corrupted" and infighting before becoming Tiefling. According to the fan site, they were infighting among themselves while fighting against dragonborn Arkhosia.

Compatible. Perkins chose an EARLIER time period before the destruction of Arkhosia and Bael Turath: "So, instead of casting Arkhosia into the mists of time, I made it a dying empire gasping its last breath."

I am not suggesting that Perkins in 2009 was planning to create the First World. I am saying he can reuse content from there for the upcoming First World.

Maybe when the upcoming book about giants comes out, it will give a clearer picture of what the First World will look like.
If and when there's a "First World" setting it will just be Iomandra.

D'karr

Adventurer
I'm sad to see that this has died off. Very interesting ideas all around.

I've used Fractal Mapper, and Campaign Cartographer to try to approximate the area of the Conquest of Nerath map. Using the 2 maps with known scales (Nentir Vale & Elsir Vale) and superimposing and scaling them on the Conquest of Nerath map you get a very close approximation of the area of the CoN map. (1425.98828 miles E-W & 1125.10742 miles N-S) That is a tiny area when compared to an earth like planet. Converting that area to a globe shows that there is quite a bit missing, since the wrap-around is entirely distorted. For example, my own game world, dwarfs the area of CoN. Since the map is the "Known World", I would guestimate that the intention is for the DM to make the rest as they see fit.

As to the difference between Arkhosia's continent in CoN, and the island chain in Iomandra can it be explained as most of the CoN Arkhosia is sunken in the mostly water planet of Iomandra? Who knows.

The 3 images below show my game world, the CoN map world, and the CoN Map world superimposed on my game world. The Green Border is the area of my game world that I use as the "known world" for the PCs. The Red area is the CoN Map, and the tiny Blue area is the Nentir Vale map. I've added a 4th, which is CoN with the Nentir Vale highlighted in blue. The 5th is placing the CoN map on the world map using the most likely position based on actual dimensions, @Dungeonosophy had provided the projection earlier in the thread.

Attachments

• globeGif.gif
    globeGif.gif
    11.3 MB · Views: 44
  • globeGif (1).gif
    globeGif (1).gif
    19.5 MB · Views: 40
  • globeGif (3).gif
    globeGif (3).gif
    33.6 MB · Views: 42
  • globeGif (4).gif
    globeGif (4).gif
    29 MB · Views: 48
  • globeGif (5).gif
    globeGif (5).gif
    23.1 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
Since the map is the "Known World", I would guestimate that the intention is for the DM to make the rest as they see fit

That was the intention, yes. Originally, they just published the map of the Nentir Vale with the idea that the rest of the world would be expanded by the DMs. The CoN map was a late idea, and is filled mostly with classical D&D regions with a few original lands surrounding them.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Remove ads