• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pimp my Iron Cobra

ricardo440

First Post
I'm making a Solo monster for a group of 4 PCs (warlord cleric paladin wizard)
It is meant to be a guardian and I wanted the construct feel. so I decided to use the iron cobra and upgrade it to solo. I stole some Green dragon abilities and also made the Mind power a minor.

Comments welcome.

And if anyone wants to add this to their "monster threads" then feel free but just tell us first.

[FONT=&quot]Steel Cobra[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Level 6 Solo Skirmisher [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Medium animate (construct)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]XP [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1250[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Initiative[/FONT] +7
[FONT=&quot]Senses[/FONT] Perception +9; darkvision
[FONT=&quot]HP[/FONT] 300; [FONT=&quot]Bloodied[/FONT] 150
[FONT=&quot]AC[/FONT] 22; [FONT=&quot]Fortitude[/FONT] 22, [FONT=&quot]Reflex[/FONT] 20, [FONT=&quot]Will[/FONT] 17
[FONT=&quot]Saving Throws[/FONT] +5
[FONT=&quot]Speed[/FONT] 7;also see slithering shift
[FONT=&quot]Action Points[/FONT] 2
M [FONT=&quot]Bite[/FONT] (standard; at-will) [FONT=&quot]Poison[/FONT]
+11 vs. AC; 1d8 + 4 damage, and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).
r[FONT=&quot] Poison the Mind[/FONT] (minor 1/round; at-will) [FONT=&quot]Psychic[/FONT]
Ranged 10; only affects creatures taking ongoing poison damage; +8 vs. Will; the target is dazed and slowed (save ends both); see also guard area.

m[FONT=&quot]Double Attack[/FONT](standard; at-will)
The steel cobra makes two bite attacks.
c[FONT=&quot]Breath Weapon[/FONT] (standard; recharge456) [FONT=&quot]Poison[/FONT]
Close blast 5; +8 vs. Fortitude; 1d10 + 3 poison damage, and the target takes ongoing 5 poison damage and is slowed (save ends both). Aftereff ect: The target is slowed (save ends).
m[FONT=&quot]Tail Sweep[/FONT] (immediate reaction, if an adjacent enemy does not move on its turn; at-will)
+8 vs. Reflex; 1d8 + 5 damage, and the target is knocked prone.
[FONT=&quot]Guard Area[/FONT]
A steel cobra can use its poison the mind power against any creature in its guarded are, even if the power hasn’t recharged and even if the target isn’t taking ongoing poison damage.
[FONT=&quot]Slithering Shift[/FONT] (move; at-will)
The iron cobra shifts 3 squares as a move action.
m[FONT=&quot]Slitering Attack[/FONT](standard; recharge56)
The cobra moves up to 7 squares and makes a bite attack at any point during the move without provoking an opportunity attack from the target.
[FONT=&quot]Alignment[/FONT] Unaligned
[FONT=&quot]Languages[/FONT] -
[FONT=&quot]Skills[/FONT] Stealth +10
[FONT=&quot]Str[/FONT] 17 (+6)
[FONT=&quot]Dex[/FONT] 15 (+5)
[FONT=&quot]Wis[/FONT] 13 (+4)
[FONT=&quot]Con[/FONT] 19 (+7)
[FONT=&quot]Int[/FONT] 5 (+0)
[FONT=&quot]Cha[/FONT] 12 (+4)

Attachments

• steel cobra.pdf
    65.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

ricardo440

First Post
The Poison the Mind power doesn't appear in your entry.

r[FONT=&quot] Poison the Mind[/FONT] (minor 1/round; at-will) [FONT=&quot]Psychic[/FONT]
Ranged 10; only affects creatures taking ongoing poison damage; +8 vs. Will; the target is dazed and slowed (save ends both); see also guard area.

My big question is what do people think of the damage that it does. I didn't really change the damage much from the iron cobra. Will this be too small?

Gort

Explorer
ricardo440 said:
My big question is what do people think of the damage that it does. I didn't really change the damage much from the iron cobra. Will this be too small?

Well, the blue dragon (level 6 solo artillery) does D6+5 damage per attack. And it does this 3 times a round (two bites and a gore). Yours does D8+4 twice, and three times if it gets to use Tail Sweep. So maybe a slight increase in damage would be in order.

ricardo440

First Post
Cobra in battle

Well I used the Cobra in a battle today. The 4 PCs defeated it after a good fight. It was a fun monster to play. The breath weapon rarely charged, kept on getting a 3 on its recharge roll. and whenever it did recharge they had spread out.
The Warlord hit it with a Lead the attack (might have got the wrong name) daily which gave everyone +3 to attack it for the battle. THat proved to be very useful

The Paladin had an amulet of health thus preventing a lot of damage, and they had a potion of Gravespawn from AV which was given half way through the battle to the cleric making him immune to the ongoing poison damage.

All in all the players worked effectively as a team and brought him down. The paladin spent much of the game Dazed.
I ruled you CAN charge 1 square if you have only one action, as it seems harsh you can attack from 2+ squares, but not 1 away.
When the paladin got undazed and finally put the mark on it the battle kinda changed. It really shifted in the PCs favour.
The Paladin would hit it hard, the warlord would flank and then make the paladin hit it hard again with +2 damage....

All in all it was a successful battle. Took a lot of the parties resources, and fun was had by all.

All I can say is if it were alone against a party of 6th level guys it wouldn't be as scary by far, and its defences would probably be a bit on the low side.

Remove ads