WOIN Pinning down timing

MacD

Just a tourist passing your way...
Hi there,

rules simply say ranged attacks get +1d6 for every round that target didn't move; so when do I start counting turns? While rolling Initiative? After the first shot? What about waiting outside of battles?

RobJN

Adventurer
... the round after the target stops moving?

Target hunkers down, thinking he's safe behind cover.

Target stays put his next turn, only popping up to lay down suppressive fire. Ranged attacks against him are at +1D6.

Lather, rinse, repeat for the next round, with ranged attacks now getting a +2D6 bonus.

Target smartens up, and moves his next turn. Ranged attacks against him lose the bonus, resetting the 'clock' should Target Boy stay hunkered down in his new spot on the battlefield.

MacD

Sorry, but that answer doesn' really fit to my question as it assumes battle is already running; what about non - moving enemies? A Golem stood guard for 100 years so what?
Found the Tarrasque sleeping, so I got +75456765d6 to my first attack /damage?
Until now I houseruled it as "after your first ranged attack you gain +1d6 each subsequent turn until your target moves", but that's impractical and doesn't fit the RAW; so how are RAW meant?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The attacker should track it. It assumes that the attacker is continually attacking a stationary target. It's not quite as clearly written as I'd like.

RobJN

Adventurer
Sorry, but that answer doesn' really fit to my question as it assumes battle is already running; what about non - moving enemies? A Golem stood guard for 100 years so what?
Found the Tarrasque sleeping, so I got +75456765d6 to my first attack /damage?
Until now I houseruled it as "after your first ranged attack you gain +1d6 each subsequent turn until your target moves", but that's impractical and doesn't fit the RAW; so how are RAW meant?
Have you been fighting the Golem or Tarrasque that whole time? If not, then your attack only gets the bonus(es) if the target doesn’t move after that first attack.

I’m not sure how heavy a sleeper Tarrasques are.

MacD

In most systems I'd handle it that way, but in WOIN mechanics are special - an attack bonus can be traded for damage Boni for free.
IF you handle it the way you say there is no fight as that first attack pierces right through every godd*mn god you manage to catch him sleeping / sitting before tv.

That's exactly NOT how I want to handle it. For reasons everyone will understand.
One minute not moving would mean about 10d6 more damage with the first hit.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In most systems I'd handle it that way, but in WOIN mechanics are special - an attack bonus can be traded for damage Boni for free.
IF you handle it the way you say there is no fight as that first attack pierces right through every godd*mn god you manage to catch him sleeping / sitting before tv.

That's exactly NOT how I want to handle it. For reasons everyone will understand.
One minute not moving would mean about 10d6 more damage with the first hit.
I think common sense would tell you that's not the rules as intended. You start counting from the first attack, and continue to count as long as you continue to attack and the target remains stationary.

knikpiw

Explorer
I don't know if you've ever done archery but you typically don't hit first try, but use the first shot to get your bearings and dial in your subsequent shots. So the second shot where the target hasn't moved gets a +1d6 whether or not you landed your first shot.

MacD

The attacker should track it. It assumes that the attacker is continually attacking a stationary target. It's not quite as clearly written as I'd like.
So it's really been planned to track per attacker. That's much easier than the rulebook assumes.
Have you been fighting the Golem or Tarrasque that whole time? If not, then your attack only gets the bonus(es) if the target doesn’t move after that first attack.

I’m not sure how heavy a sleeper Tarrasques are.
Tarrasque (the one and only!) sleeps for hundreds of years but is well hidden.
I just used her to show the point of a massive first strike thad't be possible with counting before the battle.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Tarrasque (the one and only!) sleeps for hundreds of years but is well hidden.
I just used her to show the point of a massive first strike thad't be possible with counting before the battle.
Yes, we understood.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases