Pirate Borg -- any of you scurvy dogs have it?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Reading through it now, I really like the timeline, where the setting starts as something resembling the real world (although anyone familiar with the Gulf of Mexico can see from the map in the book that the geography is different to make it more gamable) to something like Darkest Dungeon in tone and then beyond into a Lovecraftian endgame.

One thing that looks challenging is figuring out when to set a game, since ash and the undead don't show up at all in the earliest version of the games, and based on the timeline, it looks like a fair number of monsters only show up relatively rate in the timeline.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Reading through it now, I really like the timeline, where the setting starts as something resembling the real world (although anyone familiar with the Gulf of Mexico can see from the map in the book that the geography is different to make it more gamable) to something like Darkest Dungeon in tone and then beyond into a Lovecraftian endgame.

One thing that looks challenging is figuring out when to set a game, since ash and the undead don't show up at all in the earliest version of the games, and based on the timeline, it looks like a fair number of monsters only show up relatively rate in the timeline.
I think it’s best to view the timeline as entirely optional.

As the text says, “Use this timeline in any way you see fit: as historical records, rumors, plot hooks, current events, tales found in a book... Chapters can be explored from left to right, and story lines progress chronologically from top to bottom. Reveal them in order or roll [d66] for a random event.”

I’d start with all the monsters and uniqueness of the Dark Caribbean in play, marking those events off and having them as part of the history of the setting, and starting from there. When you need an event, roll one up or start where it makes sense with what’s left.

Remove ads