Piratecat's Updated Story Hour! (update 4/03 and 4/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
After his wonderful post in Morrus' Dr. Seuss D&D contest, Sagiro is still stuck in the genre. He was kind enough to email me this correction when I originally posted that Glibstone already knew space would be tight on the other side of the portal. I know that normally posting private emails is in incredibly bad taste, but I think he won't mind too much. :D

-----------------------------------------------------

Piratecat, buddy, your Story is fine!
I loved how the Dwarf King decided to dine
On the flesh of his Squire; that truly is sick,
But there's one small detail you can fix up right quick!

It wasn't Glibstone who, before we went through,
Warned us that the next chamber had room for just two.
I seem to remember 'twas Agar who peered
With his Planar Gate Mojo, and said "hey that's weird!"

"There's big grinding rocks that are sliding and crushing,
I think through that portal we shouldn't go rushing."
The rest of us, clearly expecting the worst,
Gave a back-pat to Glibstone and smiled, "You go first!"

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
They emerge on the far side of the portal with their mindlink to the rest of the party completely cut off. Oh no, thinks Nolin. We must be extraplanar or in a shielded room. He winces at the sound coming from him, and looks around. Probably the latter. From inside of him, he feels the phoenix Rides-The-Sun pulse in silent agreement.

In front of him is an indecipherable maze of death. Sharpened gears slide back and forth, huge blocks slam down at random intervals, and sharpened spikes slide back and forth at odd intervals. Sections of stone floor, apparently animated, flex and fold in a way that would instantly pulp flesh. The noise of the stone smashing against itself is deafening.

Agar lets off a low whistle. “Wow,” he says to no one in particular. “Messy.”

Nolin looks down at Glibstone. “Tradition will see you safely through? What does that mean?” Glibstone shrugs in ignorance, and Nolin studies the deathtrap in front of him with a practiced eye. Think of it as music, he thinks. It has a pattern or a rhythm. I just have to see it. Then he does; his ear picks up a beat in the crashing rock, a pattern that reminds him of something that he first heard years ago, back when he knew Grundo the dwarven battlerager. His eyebrows narrow as he tries to remember. “Music?” he asks out loud. “A dance?”

Glibstone frowns next to him, and then his heavily lined and bearded face lights up. Bells jingle. “The bailkrin!”

Nolin looks confused for just a few seconds. The bailkrin? The traditional dwarven wedding and celebration dance? And then, like an image suddenly snapping into focus, Nolin sees it and laughs. “The bailkrin! Of course!”

“What?” asks Agar, confused.

“It’s an old dwarvish dance,” Nolin explains. “One that probably only a dwarf would know. If you perform it properly, stepping off this stone…” A huge stone hammer slams down in front of them. “NOW, and you follow the dance at the normal speed, you should end up on the other side of the trap completely safely.” Glibstone, now fully understanding, nods in agreement.

“I had heard that the artisan who designed the waterfall’s hammer-song in Mrid’s central square worked on the palace as well. Now I know where.”

Glibstone reminds Nolin of the exact steps of the dance, and then they return back through the portal to tell the others. “It’s really easy!” says Nolin. “Let’s practice.” Malachite looks extremely dubious as he watches the dwarven troops practicing.

“Dancing isn’t my strong point. Perhaps I’d best dimension door across.” Velendo nods in agreement, and Tao looks around.

“Let’s leave the mounts in here as well. I don’t think Newt, my giant lizard, would make it through safely.” She pats the beast fondly, and it snaps out a long tongue and licks her. Mara nuzzles Luminor and whispers some words to him, and he neighs in accordance.

Back through the portal, Nolin is the first one to cross. It takes an iron will. He knows the steps of the dance and the music sounds in his head, but he has to focus his concentration as a rasping iron gear grinds towards him. He twists in the correct dance step and bows to his imaginary partner, and the gear whistles by just above his head. Nolin stamps his left foot twice and spins forward, and several tons of stone smash the floor where he was just standing. Within a minute, he’s standing safely on the other side of the deathtrap, laughing with sweat beading on his forehead. “Come across!” he calls. “It’s fun!”

"Sure it is."

Within a short time, everyone has passed, either by magic or by dance skill. Only Agar is injured. The halfling does the dance step correctly, but his steps are shorter than a normal dwarf's, and he isn’t completely clear as a stone block crunches down on the side of his foot. Stifling a cry of pain, he wrenches his foot clear and dances faster, barely dodging a lowered ceiling as he resumes the dance. He reaches safety on the far side, and shakes his head. “Fun if you’re a dwarf, that is. Yikes.”

The Defenders now stand in a room similar to the first, but lined completely with weapon and armor racks. To one side are deep trenches in the floor, filled with thousands of old copper pieces. Many of the weapon and armor racks are empty, presumably used by the perished dwarven soldiers, but it is a mute tribute to the declining population of Mrid that hundreds of arms and armor still stand gleaming around the huge room. Glibstone wanders around the armory, handpicking certain weapons to bring with him back to Mridsgate.

“How are you going to carry all of those?” asks Mara, curious.

In answer, Glibstone unrolls something similar to a portable hole across the floor and starts placing sheathed weapons inside. “If needed, I can remove these later, but best to gather as we go,” he explains with a rare smile. The Loremaster seems to be concentrating on named weapons, and weapons and armor that once belonged to long-dead dwarven heroes. As he works, he recites traditional dwarvish jokes to anyone who will listen.

The other heroes pass their time looking about the room, and in a musty corner behind a set of ancient plate mail Tao finds an old key pegged to the wall. “What’s this?” she asks aloud, and she and Galthia examine it as the others come over. It’s quite large, iron and rusty.

“It’s got a slight enchantment,” offers Agar. “Errr…. Conjuration and abjuration.”

“Let me see that!” Nolin says as he crouches next to them. “Huh. Look at that symbol.” He points to a barely readable imprint on the base of the key, a rough throne flecked with tiny shreds of gold leaf. The bard’s eyes widen. “Wait a second. That’s the symbol of Goldthrone!”

“Rubbish,” states Glibstone flatly from inside the nearby portable hole. He pulls himself up, bells jingling, and glares. “The place never existed. It’s a myth.”

“Forgotten lore?” asks Galthia. “Like Tuz’zud, and the Ebon Door?” Glibstone glares at him and grunts heavily.

“No. A myth. Like the elven treasure-bunnies, or friendly githzerai. A children’s tale, something that never existed and never will exist.” Galthia hurrumphs, and Nolin quickly explains, eyes sparkling.

“Goldthrone is a lost dwarven kingdom from far down south. Supposedly thousands of years ago, before humans were common, the entire kingdom of Goldthrone vanished overnight. Tens of thousands of dwarves, gone! And not only did the dwarves disappear, but so did their cities and the tunnels between them. Fwoosh, gone, with nary a trace.” He lowers his voice, drawing the listeners in. “Some say that Moradin was angry with them, but others say that the dwarven Gods took them directly to heaven. No one knows.” Splinder nods, obviously recognizing the story, and the other dwarves move closer to better hear the bard.

“Because it never happened,” interrupts Glibstone, his voice pedantic. “Trust me, I know the Lore, and you’re passing on lies as truth.” Nolin rolls his eyes and continues as if Glibstone never spoke.

"I know a snippet of verse about it. Let's see...

"Goldthrone stood
Foremost of all
Taken or sent
Draining away
Growing despite
Waiting its place
Lost and alone
Back on the day."

Nolin clears his throat. “Occasionally relics are found that are supposedly from there. And now this! I wonder if it’s a counterfeit?” He bangs it in emphasis on his hand, and is startled to hear a faint ringing tone. Agar perks up.

“A planar key?”

Nolin looks down at the ancient piece of metal in his hand. “Maybe. It’s hollow, and it rings a little. It may be a component to a plane shift.” He shrugs, clearly excited. “No use wondering about it now. But let’s hang on to it.” He looks at the old key longingly, and tucks it into his belt pouch.

By now the group has eaten, and Glibstone is finished packing weapons and armor. The dwarf is studying the next seven portals and mumbling to himself. “The lock has to do with how far underground we are, as well as some religious symbology of Moradin. I think I almost have it.” He perks up. “Prithee, do you know what sound a Dwarven God makes when he falls down the stairs?”

Everyone looks at Nolin, who shakes his head. “No.”

Glibstone jingles. CLANGEDDIN CLANGEDDIN CLANGEDDIN clangeddin clangeddin.”

Nolin laughs. “Okay, that’s funny.” Tao frowns.

“I don’t get it.”

As Splinder explains, Glibstone touches a flowstone mural one last time, and the portals all erupt into life. “Through the portal marked Venya, I’d say,” says Glibstone. “The third of the Seven Heavens. This is the treasury.”

“What is the guardian here?”

Glibstone looks dubious. “The treasure is said to protect itself.”

Velendo looks at the portal suspiciously. “Agar, can you see through it?” Agar shakes his head to say no, having already used up his ability to gate sense for the day. “Then I suggest we do what we did last time. Just send three people through. Nolin, Galthia, Glibstone?” The three nod. “The rest of will follow exactly a minute later. If it isn’t safe for us, send someone back through to tell us.”

They step through.

To be continued….

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
As his vision clears, Galthia feels hardened fingernails clawing at his face. Out of pure reflex, he jerks his head backwards, and the nails only graze his chin. Nevertheless, he feels a familiar shuddering cold suffuse his body, and he fights to resist it. An eerie voice speaks in Dwarvish.

“So hungry!” The three adventurers (well, two adventurers and one accidental explorer) look up to find themselves standing in another vast room, this one filled with hundreds of thousands of loose coins all slipping and sliding under their feet in a clinking golden carpet. Torches on the walls cast thousands of gleaming reflections across the room. In front of them, though, squats King Horox IX. His crown has been jammed down into the flesh of his head, piercing the hair and skin to be kept on by a bloody scab. The King’s armor and robe are in disarray, and the bloody signs of his late squire stain the front of the King’s robes and his tangled beard. “So… hungry!” A long pointed tongue snakes out of his mouth, licks the dry and lifeless lips, and squirms back inside like a crawling worm.

“Nolin, we have trouble!” Glancing behind him, Galthia sees that the portal is deactivated from this side. The monk punches the former King solidly in the face, feeling the ghoul’s nose breaking beneath his fist, and roughly shoves Glibstone in front of him as he moves off to the left. Galthia feels a piece of flesh ripped off of his shoulder, but resists the cold paralysis as he continues to move away from the ghoul. “Glibstone, get out of the way!” The dwarf stumbles on the slippery coins as he scrambles desperately away from his former King. “How do we reactivate the portal from this side?”

“Your Majesty?” Instead of answering Galthia, Glibstone gasps in horror at his sovereign while tears beginning to slide down his face. The Loremaster seems frozen by the sight of the hideous, darting tongue that seems to be savoring a chunk of Galthia’s shoulder. With a start, he focuses on Galthia. “The portal? Err, to activate it from this side…” Galthia can almost see him reviewing the Lore in his head, trying to come up with the answer.

“The King is dead,” pronounces Nolin with a sad shake of his head. “Long live the King.” He casts mass haste, and follows it up with a powerful flame strike drawn from the phoenix inside of him. Whoomp! Holy fire slams down into the floor, catching the King and turning some of the coins beneath his feet into bubbling golden slag. The dwarven King ignores Nolin and follows the smell of fresh blood, staggering towards Galthia and Glibstone as his skin smokes and chars.

The ghoul dodges the monk and lashes a claw out towards the near helpless Loremaster. Catching his chest with a clawed hand, the ghoulish King pulls the twitching, paralyzed Glibstone close. “You served me in life,” whispers the undead dwarf. “Now, you may again serve me in death.” He giggles insanely. “Or perhaps I’ll just serve myself! Oh, I’m so sorry, Glibstone. But I’m so very hungry.” The long tongue rasps against Glibstone’s paralyzed cheek, tasting.

“I don’t think so.” Irritated because the paralyzed dwarf never told him how to reopen the portal from this side, Galthia begins to hammer the ghoulish king with fists like sledgehammers. He can hear bones crack. Nolin takes a second to survey the battlefield and then uses his hasted action to unleash a second flame strike with pinpoint accuracy. The King screams with a bubbling voice, clearly in pain, but neither Galthia nor Glibstone are touched. As Nolin begins to cast a summoning spell, he notices the charred coins in front of him suddenly sliding and shifting.

With a musical sound, the gold coins rise like a fountain into the air, forming a roughly man-shaped form 12 feet tall in front of the bard. The coin golem lazily swings one densely packed arm and Nolin is knocked backwards by the force of the blow, only barely retaining concentration on his summoning spell. Loose coins slide down the front of his shirt, still warm from the spell’s heat. Nolin can feel a rasping in his chest, where some sharpened bit of bone pokes him every time he draws a breath. Ouch, he thinks. That hurt.

Galthia looks quickly from the coin golem to the ghoul to the coins under Nolin’s second flame strike zone, and is appalled to see those coins starting to rock and slide about as well. He raises his voice. “Nolin? No more flame strikes or fireballs!” He shakes his head grimly. “I think we just learned what they meant by the treasure defending itself.”

To be continued….

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Design Note

What you're seeing here, folks, is an adventuring oddity. Why is this a room virtually carpeted with gold (and silver, and platinum) coins? Six reasons:

1. Verisimillitude. Mrid is known for its wealth. Sometimes, ancient vaults should damn well be full of money! Nothing cleans a dirty hero better than a treasure bath.

2. Logistics. If the PCs did want to haul away hundreds of thousands of coins out of a vault where teleport doesn't work (and where for all they know monsters are waiting for them outside), they'd have to be clever! Also, one major reason is that gold isn't very useful on their current quest. Who are they going to buy things from? And there's no time to make magical items with the wealth.

3. Roleplaying. The PCs are largely honorable, and the dwarves asked them to take what they need from the vault and nothing else. The dwarves let them make the decision as to what was appropriate; that means that the onus is on the players to decide what is greedy for their characters. It's a good character test!

4. Balance. The group isn't especially rich, and recent tough monsters haven't had much treasure.

5. The rat bastard reason. Nolin and Galthia have to survive by themselves for a whole minute against two coin golems. If Nolin drops unconscious, a fireball goes off. If Nolin gets killed, a fire storm erupts. Anyone want to guess how many coin golems THOSE will create? *grin*

6. The true reason. The discerning adventurer is doubtlessly waiting for the room with the jewels! :D

EDIT - I take no credit for the jokes, by the way. They're an EN World contribution! I'll eventually post a pdf of his Collected Hilarities, just so you can tortu- err, impress your players with them too.

For getting through the deathtrap (which immediately made the players think of that scene in Galaxy Quest, when the captain has to jump through the pistons in the middle of the ship), I allowed either a super-easy perform check for dwarves, a middling perform check for other people who knew the secret, or a quite difficult reflex save for the foolhardy and nimble.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Nolin raises one fiery eyebrow as another coin golem rises up in front of him. “Right. No more flame strikes. Good idea.” Blood trickles down the side of his face where the first golem struck him seconds before. “And ouch.”

The ghoulish king lets out a keening noise, the primal sound of desire thwarted. “Stand aside!” he orders Galthia, who has stepped between the undead dwarf and the paralyzed Glibstone. “I am King here, and I command it!” Galthia ignores him, dodging his clumsy blows and protecting Glibstone with his own body. It’s clear that in life, King Horox was far more adept using an axe or a hammer than attacking bare-handed, and Galthia estimates that he is a better fighter with bare hands. Or, in the King’s case, claws.

From twenty feet away, Nolin quickly glances over. “Your Majesty,” says Nolin in a reasonable and persuasive tone as he tries to maneuver on the slippery coins, “you’ve had a good reign. You’ve been a good king. Now it’s time for you to relinquish your title to your son, and take your well-earned rest - in heaven!”

The King turns to snarl at him, once-handsome dwarven features distorted by bestial hunger, and Galthia seizes the opportunity to attack. Both fists and a knee lash out, denting metal and smashing bone. The monk’s second strike hits the ghoul solidly, and King Horox folds forward, foul fluids spewing out of his mouth as something important inside of him breaks. The githzerai shatters the King’s downwards-moving chin with a powerful uppercut, and the ghoul’s grizzled head snaps backwards, catapulting the blood-encrusted crown into the air as the body collapses bonelessly onto the carpet of shimmering coins. Like a snake, Galthia’s hand snaps the falling crown out of thin air before it can hit the floor.

“I’ll just keep this for later.”

Nolin is having less luck with the two massive coin golems. They have twice the reach of Nolin, and he’s hit twice as he tries to back away. The tiny imprint of dead dwarven kings adorn his face where the arms smacked him, and he spits loose coins out of his mouth as he narrows his gaze at the constructs. “Hey, not in the face!” Still somewhat optimistic, Nolin heals himself and fires off a sonic spell, but the spell doesn’t seem to have any effect. “Galthia, I’m not sure I can really hurt these things.”

“Then get out of there! We’ve got most of a minute until anyone else gets here, and I’d rather that neither of us get killed in the mean time. I can probably avoid them, but if you get knocked unconscious or killed we’re going to have a lot more of these things to worry about.”

At this, Nolin swallows nervously, spitting out one last coin. “Right.”

Then both guardians tumble forward in a cascade of loose coins, reforming and slamming arms like lead bars into Nolin’s body. The bard is knocked backwards and badly hurt. If it weren’t for the healing spell he’d cast seconds before, he’d no longer be standing. “Whoof.” Nolin backs away, retreating from the combat and vaulting on to the raised platform on the right hand side of the room, sliding between gold and platinum pieces of dwarvish art. Galthia has already retreated in a jingling of bells, with Glibstone’s paralyzed body slung over his shoulder. The golems lumber after them, silent other than for the clinking of coins.

What follows next is a desperate game of cat and mouse, with the two Defenders racing back and forth across the large room with the golems in pursuit. Nolin uses the spell mislead to create an illusory double, buying both heroes time to maneuver. He also creates the illusion of the rest of the Defenders arriving, hoping that the creatures will be fooled. The distraction is only partially effective, though, as the golems seem to be able to sense anyone who is actually standing on coins. One of the golems catches the invisible Nolin in a breath weapon spray of sharpened coins, shearing away flesh and creating wounds that continue to bleed. The constructs also seem to absorb loose coins as they pass over piles of money, quickly healing the small amount of damage that Nolin and Galthia are able to inflict.

As Galthia acts as a fast-moving lure, Nolin makes his way to where Glibstone has been placed. The bard crouches over Glibstone’s rigid body and casts detect thoughts. “Damn it, Glibstone, how do we destroy these things?” he asks. “There must be some easy way.” Glibstone’s eyes dart back and forth, and Nolin forces himself to relax, concentrating on the panicking dwarf. Within a handful of seconds, Nolin is able to pierce Glibstone’s racing thoughts and pull the answer out of his head. Offer unto the defenders what is already theirs, thinks Glibstone desperately. That’s what the lore says! Offer unto the defenders what is already theirs! I don’t know what it means!

“Well, what is that supposed to…?” says Nolin, not expecting an answer from the paralyzed dwarf. Then the solution hits him. “Right!” He hops off the platform and scoops up a double handful of loose coins. “Hey! You!” Then he flings the coins at one of the golems that is chasing the nimble Galthia. The coins scatter into it, and for every coin that hits, five fall out of the coin golem’s body. “That’s it!” yells Nolin to Galthia. “Throw money at it!” Briefly, he’s reminded of his old companion Alix Loial, but he shakes the memory away.

Just then, Velendo, Mara and Tao enter. The newly arrived Defenders are surprised to see illusions of themselves fighting two huge money monsters, and both Galthia and Nolin shout “No area effect spells” in concert before anyone can act rashly. “Throw money at them!” adds Nolin. “It hurts them!”

Tao casts a spell which the creatures ignore, even as Mara strides forward. The paladin is rocked by a club-like blow, but she’s grinning fiercely as her holy shield protects her from a second impact. Mara swings Lightbinder with a powerful arm, and she smashes a gap in the mass of mobile coins.

Velendo is already flying thanks to Agar, so he swoops over the head of the other golem and digs out his money pouch. “Here you are,” he offers sarcastically, and drops a handful of gems onto the head of the mobile, shifting mass of money beneath him.

Nothing happens.

“Nolin!” he yells as the creature takes a swipe at him with one long arm. “I thought you said money hurts them!”

“Use coins!” Nolin yells in explanation. Velendo rolls his eyes at the mistake.

Galthia and Mara continue to attack the other golem. Her blows spray coins in every direction, and Galthia’s punches clear fist-shaped holes in its dense metal body. Finally Mara swings her mace one last time and the entire monster dissolves, coins falling and rolling all around her feet. Across the room, a second cascade of thrown coins from Nolin shears off half of the creature’s arm. . With everyone else helping by tossing loose treasure at the creature, it soon succumbs without further trouble. Several people are hurt, but Mara is smiling like a school girl at her success. Everyone stands there for a just moment, panting, ankle deep in dwarven coins. Nolin sighs.

“So much for never getting enough treasure.”

To be continued….

KidCthulhu

First Post
Piratecat said:
The bard is knocked backwards and badly hurt. If it weren’t for the healing spell he’d cast seconds before, he’d no longer be standing.

And if you thought "killed by inch tall goblins" was an embarrassing way to die, try "beaten up by money".

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The group heals themselves while the now-whole Glibstone pays homage to his late Majesty King Horox, reciting the short version of Moradin’s Prayer for the Warrior. When he is finished, he looks up sadly. “I can make a joke about any subject, but not about this. Not about the King.” He rallies feebly, but his heart really isn’t in it. “Of course, the King is not a subject.”

Malachite looks surprised. “Hey, that was actually funny!” Glibstone tries to smile back, but doesn’t especially succeed. Nolin slaps him sympathetically on the back, and the dwarf sighs heavily.

“You can gather some coins for yourselves,” offers Glibstone. Everyone looks around nervously.

“Ermmm,” says Velendo. “I think we’ll pass.”

Once everyone is ready and Glibstone has gathered what treasure he wishes to bring back to Mridsgate, the group gathers around the seven portals. “The Lore instructs that our next passage will not be simple,” says Glibstone officiously. “The Path is for the weak, and it will make you whole. Do not dwell on it.” Agar perks up.

“Hey, sounds like the positive material plane!” he says excitedly, as Proty wiggles in the air above his head. “It’s a fascinating place. You heal there, you know, and if you ever finish healing fully you have an unfortunate tendency to... well, to explode. I understand it’s really something to see.” Everyone stares at him in confusion.

“So you’re saying we have to be injured when we enter?” Tao looks doubtful. “You’re sure of this?”

Agar nods happily in agreement and goes off on a tangent. “You bet. In fact, there’s a fascinating type of bracer that you can buy in Sigil. It uses clockwork most fiendishly.” He gestures. “You wind it up, see, and twin corkscrew blades bore holes into your arm that heal almost immediately in the positive material plane! It’s used primarily by…”

Agar is rudely interrupted by Tao, who turns with a great big smile and abruptly punches Mara in the face. “Hey!” exclaims Mara, blood trickling from her nose. Tao just smiles at her. Mara suddenly understands, and gladly lashes out at the irreverent divine agent with her own fist. “Well, if it’s for a good cause…”

The room devolves into chaos as everyone proceeds to beat the crap out of one another.

“Okay,” pants Velendo as his old body aches in rebellion from the cuts and bruises, “enough. Enough! This is sick.”

“But necessary!” pipes up Agar.

“Yeah, whatever. Be ready to hurt each other as we go through if we heal too quickly. And let’s move fast.” Nolin readies a dagger by his wrist, and Tao winces in pain as she pulls a sword from her belly. The group trails blood as they approach the shimmering black portal. Velendo and Glibstone solve a flowstone diagram of an engineering problem in order to unlock the door, and the portals all spring into life. “Let’s go.”

They step through the correct portal into pure light.

Even Mara and Malachite are temporarily blinded. The rainbow-like radiance is all-encompassing, warming and invigorating and healing. Spirits soar, blood pumps faster, skin tingles, and the essence of life itself permeates the heroes’ flesh. It’s like sex, or stepping into the sun.

Velendo enjoys the feeling for just a moment. “I can already feel myself healing. Let’s go!”

Galthia nods. “Now we know why the King didn’t make it any farther. No undead could survive this.”

The small army parades blindly down a tunnel made of solid light, pausing only to hit one another with weapons. When the tunnel makes a bend straight up, the group realizes that gravity is subjective, and by changing their perception of where “down” is they fly upwards along the corridor at incredible speed. Hitting the end is painful, but the wounds quickly heal in the radiant aura of the plane. Finally, at the end of the long and twisting corridor is a portal. Everyone passes through it without hesitation.

Suddenly there is darkness, and everyone is floating.

The group seems to be floating in a portrait gallery shaped like a vertical cylinder, forty feet across and hundreds of feet up and down. “This is our burial hall,” says Glibstone in an awed voice. “I’ve never been here before. All of our Kings and heroes and notable citizens are buried here. Behind every painting is a burial chamber.”

“Wow!” says Nolin as he turns to study the nearest portraits. He’s disconcerted to see that they are studying him back. In fact, every painting in sight is moving, the images craning to see who has entered the chamber.

“Umm… are we safe?” Glibstone shrugs.

“Positive energy seep-through!” exclaims Agar in fascination as he lights his pipe. “Amazing!”

Carefully, the group floats upwards past the portraits, Glibstone identifying each one as he passes it. They find that the upper third of the huge chamber has not yet been used. The group passes the current King’s designated burial chamber, empty with a fine portrait in front of it. Then they float downwards. As they do so, the portraits slowly become more primitive, more stylized, in a clear change of artistic style. The carvings on the walls change, too. It’s clear that the earliest portraits are well over a thousand years old, depicting warlike dwarven kings in archaic clothing who eye the group with suspicion as they float past.

At the bottom of the chamber is a large stone ziggurat carved into the floor. It looks ancient. Glibstone sounds terrified, his deep voice breaking. “It’s alive, and talking to me in visions! It wants to know who we are, and why we’re here!”

Malachite fixes the scared dwarf with a reassuring and spine-stiffening glare. “Well, then, answer it,” he says in a controlled voice. The Loremaster floats lower and touches the stone step pyramid. A few minutes pass while the Defenders and the dwarven troops wait nervously. Finally, Glibstone lets out a deep breath, and the ziggurat sinks downwards to reveal a single glowing portal. “It’s suspicious, but I think I convinced it. We can pass.”

The Defenders all let out a sigh and begin to discuss strategy for whatever they meet on the far side. As they do so, Glibstone begins to fidget nervously, and after a few moments he finally interrupts. “Hrmmm. We should probably go now.”

“In just a moment,” answers Velendo, distracted. “We need to - ”

Nolin interrupts as he realizes that as far as he can see, the portraits are all drawing painted weapons and strapping on archaic armor. “No, Velendo, I think we need to go NOW. Come on.”

He leads them through the portal, and the world dissolves and reforms as normal gravity returns with a sickening lurch. They’re all standing in the fifth vault room. The room is lit entirely by the flickering glow of hundreds of magical weapons, all stored in weapon racks around the familiar crescent-shaped room. It’s an armory, and a mighty one.

Someone whistles. “Oh, my.”

Appreciation of the huge number of magical weapons doesn’t last long, though. As soon as they pass into the room, everyone who isn’t dwarven notices one particular portal across the room. The portal is astonishingly inviting, like an old friend or a tavern hearth. Comforting. Friendly. Sympathetic. Most of the group shake off the compulsion, but not everyone. Without a second thought, Velendo Agar and Priggle head across the room towards the portal, wanting nothing more in the world than to step through it.

Velendo is halfway to the arched portal when the others realize that something might be wrong. “Velendo?” calls Tao worriedly. “Where are you going?” And with a horrified chill, the group realizes that the other six portals may have a familiar dark flicker, but the one that Velendo is just steps away from is black. Solid black. An unrelenting solid black that seems to swallow light itself.

“I’m just going to step through this portal,” answers Velendo reasonably. “I’ll be right back.”

to be continued….

Last edited:

Sialia

First Post
All right, all right. Yes.

Yes I am. I admit it. I am building a campaign website for the Compleate and True Hiftory of the Defenders of Daybreake.

No, it's not ready yet.

The framework is up, but it's not connected to much yet.

I really am trying to get at least a portion of the story hour connected to the framework within the next few weeks.

But there's . . . so . . . so . . . much of it.

And I've got bits and pieces of many of the missing episodes I'm trying to string together coherently for you all.

I have some wonderful helpers, but it's going to take some time.

I'll let you know when it's ready.

Anybody who wants to volunteer content, please write to me at mscurio@yahoo.com.

So far we've got artwork by Littlejohn, Cthulhu Ftaghn, Kip the Bold, Malessa and Wonderful Me. Poetry by Wolfspirit. Audio files by Piratecat and Eartha Kitt. Compilation and proofreading by War Golem, theRuinedOne, and Ben who's-sig-I-cannot-recall-just-at-the-moment-(many-apologies). Diagrams I think by . . . Blackjack, was it? Oh, and how I'd love to include some madlibs by Sagiro . . . And Tor promised me Altariel's diaires once upon a time and I haven't followed up on getting ahold of those . . and then there's scans of the drawings, maps, threatening letters, ravings of madmen, etc. in Bandeeto's Arcade binder . . . there is so, so much to do . . . I will never be done . . . none of you will ever see this site . . . drums, drums in the deep . . .

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads