Piratecat's Updated Story Hour! (update 4/03 and 4/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Kestrel said:
I ran Night Below about 5 years ago. It was a great adventure. I love the way you're incorporating the kuotoa city from it into your ongoing campaign. Great stuff as always PirateCat!

Thematically, Glubyal is actually an agglomeration of both Night Below (more in mood than specific encounters) and D2 The Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, mixed with the themes of the White Kingdom adventure from Dungeon; in particular you'll see some very familiar elements from D2. What I'm striving for here is the mood and setting from that classic 1e adventure, along with a complicating political conundrum and some more realistic ecologies. In this, I can't thank enough the folks over at the RBDM club, all of whom plied me with some wonderful ideas for Glubyal and kuo-toa culture.

One of the problems with long adventures is that they easily degenerate into a dungeon slog. Many people complained about this with Monte's Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, and I took the lesson to heart; too many similar types of encounters and challenges just isn't fun. That's a good thing to keep in mind. I read somewhere that a class ability that is never used really isn't a class ability; of course, this is the logic that led me to desperately try to start cutting off a limb as soon as Velendo gained access to regenerate.

In response, I've tried to structure the White Kingdom adventure with many and varied types of encounters. The dwarven vault provided a respite from butt-kicking, and Akin's Throat injected some much-needed role-playing encounters, even as both advanced the plot. Glubyal is allowing the Defenders of Daybreak to make plans and take their fight to an enemy who doesn't understand what it is that they're trying to do, which is something of a change from the Puppeteer and the White Kingdom's superior intelligence force. Games that are too grim for too long lose much of their immediacy, and the ability to mix in some humor goes a long way to making later encounters more serious by comparison.

I'm finding that the non-linear way in which the Underdark connects can let you change out different encounter types pretty easily. In the actual game, we're now closing on the end of the adventure, and it's fair to say that the decisions that the group has made along the way will have a fundamantal and abiding impact on how things are going to play out. It's a testament to my players that they're willing to embark on such a long adventure, and that they're still having fun as they follow it through with such guile. Good thing that the ghouls have some tricks up their sleeves as well. :D

Anyways, thanks for the kind words, everyone. I originally ran Eversink because highly political games scared me, I ran the dwarven vault because I wasn't sure that a realistic and traditional dungeon was still viable at such high levels, and I'm running this underdark crawl because I'd never done it before and wasn't sure if I could. You folks are watching me figure the subtleties out, and I appreciate your praise, especially because I'm learning as we go.

Obi-One

First Post
Well, this is my first post to EnWorld, and more specifically, Pirate Cat's story hour. Having been an avid reader of this post since it's inception, I thought it time to add my two cents worth :)

Well done to not only you Pirate Cat, but your players as well. As a GM myself, it's heartening to see a great creative, collective experience getting better and better as it goes along. It's hard not only to find good players these days, but old school, rat bastard GM's who pour blood, sweat and tears into their campaign - and still make it fun! :D

I of course pass this sentiment along to the other GM's that post their campaigns on EnWorld as well. Great stuff.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Agar’s eyes roll back in his head, and his back arches as normal eyesight is replaced by a vision.

The ghouls crouch around the corpse of a kobold, slurping at its intestines. There are many of them, more than a half dozen, but you can only see two clearly in the faint light. One of them looks up.

She was once a hard-faced elf. Now her face is rotting, and the permanent sneer from her torn lip sets her expression in a grimace of perpetual anger. “One more day, and we should reach their trail.” She glances reflexively at a longbow near her side and her rotting, impossibly long tongue darts out of her mouth to lick cracked lips. “One more day.”

A space beside her, which is completely empty, says nothing.

“You ‘tink?” What was once an orc nods, its pitted tusks gleaming with streaks of blood. “Damn gith hurt Huth. Dishonored da Goddess. Huth’ll feed ‘im is own intestines. Like this.” He slurps in more kobold belly, making the corpse jerk. “Heh.”

The nothingness in the space where there isn’t anything takes a bite of intestine as well.

“We may have already passed over their trail,” the shadowy darkness around them says. “Dinner would not talk, but I could tell that it knew the phoenix-thing; he leaves a stink behind him. I’ll bet it met them in Akin’s Throat. We’ll soon find out; the trade city isn’t far.” The psionic shadow slides across their faces, and the elven archer brushes it away. “Arballine, let me scout and find them.”

“No. We tried that, all of us, and it failed. I don’t fail twice. We’ll use stealth, but we’ll do it together.” She leans back. “If we passed them, then we backtrack. They’ll be trapped between us and Nacreous. No escape.” She rips off a chunk of intestine in sharpened teeth and caresses the arrows at her side. “No escape. I almost killed two of them myself. With all of us, they haven’t got a chance.”

The space where there is nothing doesn’t say anything, but the others look at it respectfully.

The orc abruptly jerks his head up, for his eyes have suddenly ignited with a familiar yellowish glow. The elf is the first to notice the change. “Advisor,” she offers with a respectful bob of her head.

“I wouldn’t get over-confident, my darlings. We don’t think they know you’re coming, but there are many of them, and they have to be finished off once and for all. There will be no reward if you fail, you know.” The orc giggles in a familiar way. “Far from it.” Arballine, the rotting elvish archer, dips her head as she bites back her anger.

“They. Took. Away. My. Beloved.” She hisses the staccato words out through clenched teeth as she gestures gracefully with her arms, almost hitting the space where there isn’t anybody. “Master Soder, they destroyed him, after all the work I did to keep him with me forever. I had promised him!” Her eyes flash. “They took everything you had given me. They made me a liar. They’ll pay for that, and for the pain, and for the embarrassment.”

“Now, now.” The puppeteer reaches over to pat her fondly on the shoulder. “You have new toys. We have the plunder from a half-dozen civilizations to choose from, and you’re entitled to the best. Your King wants you to kill them once and for all, not just challenge them. And soon, if they still have your things with them, you can take them back. Think of it as an added incentive.” He smiles, and one of the orc’s teeth falls from his gaping jaw. Idly, the puppeteer picks it up and jams it back into his body’s rotting gums. He speaks slowly. “The fall of the Queen has shaken all of us, but you must keep faith. There will be vengeance against the one who killed Her. Your King has a plan, and is taking care of this even as we speak; retribution shall be delicious. Oh, yes.” He chuckles. “But we can’t forget our goal, can we? And really, we can’t have those sun-lovers complicating things. We offered them the hand of friendship, and they rudely spurned it.” The puppeteer looks aggrieved and his voice turns icy cold. “Spurned it! Don’t they know that politeness is a virtue?”

The elf looks confused, but it’s the empty space beside her that doesn’t say anything.

The puppeteer refocuses, and his gurgling voice with the orcish accent warms as he pats the empty air with a worm-riddled hand. “Not to worry, not to worry. You saw them decimate your army; you know their capabilities. I have been trying to find them for you. It’s difficult, as the Ivory Breath fogs my divinations. I have tried to join with a company hidden outside Akin’s Throat, but they have either died in sympathy for our Goddess or have been destroyed.” He shakes his head, and pauses to pick back up the tooth. “That unit is roughly a day and a half from you. It might be wise for you to head there first, and if there is no sign of the offenders then keep heading to Akin’s Throat.”

The darkness swirls. “Anticipation and anger. A woman struck me with a mace. Hunger and revenge.”

“Precisely, Baendril. Precisely. Now, mind if I join you for a bite?” The orc’s body leans over, and the Puppeteer’s glowing yellow eyes illuminate the corpse as he reaches down with an empty hand. He pulls his full hand back with a wet squelch.
“Hmm. Don’t have any wine, do you?”

The vision ends, and Agar returns to the kuo-toa chamber.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Within minutes, a malnourished and unkempt human enters the room and interrupts the discussion of Agar’s vision. The man stops to look up, and he stands there dumbstruck as he grips his clamshell tray hard enough to turn his knuckles white. “You’re.. you’re human!” he manages to sputter in a creaky voice, seconds before he breaks down and begins to cry. His tray sags before him, but painfully honed instincts keep it upright.

“Hush, now,” Velendo drops down into the water and wades over to comfort the man. Kuo-toa fingerlings frolic and splash around his feet as he moves. “It’s okay. Come over and tell us about yourself.” With an arm around the slave, Velendo steers him over to the group.

The skinny man looks up at them through straggly hair, his pale eyes terrified and unbelieving. “My name’s Dougal. I’ve been here for years. My ship was raided when these monsters came out of the sea. We were all taken, and there were some who had been here long before I ever arrived. Are you here to save us? Or are…” His mouth twists as he realizes that the group could be in league with the kuo-toa, and his mouth shuts like an animal trap.

Malachite shakes his head. “No, we aren’t allied with them. How many of you are there?”

He gulps, tears still streaming down his chapped face. “Less than thirty, although there were almost a hundred when I first was brought down. The Master here stole me from the Palace when he fled, and now I’m the only human I see. All the rest are still in the pits beneath the King’s palace.” He looks sick. “I don’t know how many are left. We were dying quicker and quicker; used in demon summonings, or as sacrifices to their heathen goddess, or even given to the ghouls as treats when they come to visit.” The man shudders. “That’s the worst, for they wouldn’t kill ‘em first. And there be only a handful of dogs left, too.”

Tao bristles. “Dogs?” Her eyes narrow into slits.

The slave nods in agreement. “They try to capture humans and dogs both. I think the ghouls like to eat them, perhaps, and the gogglers find ‘em a treat as well. They’ve been saving most of the beasts for the ghouls to eat, though. They say it’s only polite.”

Tao looks furious. “Okay,” she hisses, “now I’m mad.”

Nolin studies the man. “Do I recognize your accent?”

“P’raps. I’m originally from a place called Eversink where I’m a sailor for House Clearwater. Have you heard of it?”

Nolin looks amused. “You could say that. We know House Clearwater quite well, and we’re friends with Lady Sharala herself. Look, we’ll try to free your friends. Anything you can tell us…“

Dougal looks at Nolin as if he’s insane and twitches in anticipation of the expected blow. “Ahh, not to contradict you, your lordship, but Lady Sharala ha’ been dead for fifty years. In fact, that be the name o’ the ship I sailed on.”

Malachite smiles distantly. “Times change, friend, and many things change with it. Lady Sharala is now alive and well. If we can, we’ll introduce you.”

A webbed foot slaps on wet coral, and suddenly Dougal’s body language changes completely as he tries to blend into the shadows, unnoticed. The silhouette of Monitor Thoobel appears in the tunnel opening above them. “I hope the food is agreeable, and the slave is jolly?” he burbles. “He is my favorite. I selected him myself when the palace offended my sensibilities.”

“Oh, yes,” agrees Mara, as she looks at the food Dougal had brought. She eyes the raw eel with an unreadable expression, and gracefully announces, “The food is perfect.” Smiling blandly, she takes a bite. Nolin and Velendo have already tucked in, along with several of the dwarves, and Nolin smiles his honest appreciation.

Thoobel nods and dismisses his slave with a wave of a fin. The Monitor splashes over, reaching down once or twice to caress the fingerlings as he traverses the room. He pauses as he walks past Mara.

“Are you going to eat those?” he asks, gesturing at the few remaining leeches that Mara had plucked from her legs. Stone Bear’s raven glances up, squawks, and takes to the air.

“Err… no.” Mara grimaces as Thoobel reaches down, only to pop the swollen leeches into his mouth one after the other, clearly savoring their flavor. “We were… saving them for you.”

“So kind!” His bulging and watery eyes gleam in the gray light.

Velendo clears his throat. “Monitor, we have a number of tactical questions for you.”

“But of course. Let us begin by describing the area.” He lays out a map. Thoobel eagerly describes the approaches to the Glass Pool, and the area itself. On a map, he shows where the wall surrounds the plaza, and where in the plaza the Glass Pool itself lies: right in front of the Royal Palace.

Velendo shakes his head at the poor tactical position. “How strong are Blel-Plibbit's guards? How do they compare with the guards that recently attacked us?”

Thoobel grins widely, almost splitting his face in two. “He has about 4000 trained soldiers, compared to about 1500 of my own. Only a few hundred are elite, though. Blel-Plibbit are approximately 60 whips, the clerics of the Sea Mother. The whips obey her whims. Working together, all can create lightning, but the may also favor acid or drowning miracles as well.”

Malachite frowns. “How many whips do you have?”

“Only a handful. But my troops are fervent, because we are truly blessed by the Sea Mother. When the moment comes, the false king’s Whips will fail, and their power will become our own.” He leans forward and whispers, breath fishy-cold in Malachite’s ear. “I have seen it.”

Splinder the dwarf keeps a straight face, but his thought reverberates over the mind link. “We’re screwed. I know a fanatic when I see one. I’m not expecting any miracles predicted by this piece of walking seafood.” Thoughts of agreement silently echo between each adventurer’s head.

Malachite continues smoothly. “Of course. What about Blel-Plibbit himself?”

“He is an utter coward, and not fit to be consort to the Sea Mother. He is the only powerful priest which she creates, unjustly raised above all others, and he prefers to flaunt his power with mostly water-based spells.” Thoobel’s large eyes flash. “He always travels with at least two trained whips, who may or may not be assassins. He always had at least four Claws near him, powerful warriors, and a monitor to watch his religious adherence. That was once my job,” he waves a webbed hand, “but I saw the truth.”

Velendo tries to smile. “Most certainly. Are there undead in the city actively working with Blel-Plibbit? Have your own forces come up against actual undead during their rebellion?”

“There may be. The White Kingdom typically has an ambassador. The mindflayers often do as well.We have not fought undead, however.”

Mindflayers,” thinks Malachite in disgust. “Squidheads.

“Do Kuo-Toa have any unusual resistances or vulnerabilities that we should know about when fighting Blel-Plibbit's forces?”

Thoobel’s chest puffs out in building fury. “No! Kuo-toa are the true inheritors of the earth, which has been stolen from us by you surface folk, driven away by your cheating lies. We are perfect, and some day you will drown in the juices from your own treacherous black hearts!” He pauses in mid-rant, as if hearing some distant voice, and his angry maw twists into a friendly smile. “But not today, of course. Today we are allies.” All traces of his sudden anger are gone.

Mara and Malachite both try to detect evil, to no avail; minor divination spells are still disrupted from Imbindarla’s death.

Velendo tries to continue. “Err. Yes. Are there any unusual physical or magical defenses/traps around the Glass Pool itself?”

“It is always guarded, both by guards and by the power of the Sea Mother Herself. She watches carefully for blasphemy or disrespect. She will ignore you, however, as she ignores slaves; you are not kuo-toa, and thus beneath her notice.”

“Well, that’s something. Monitor Thoobel, would you be willing to donate troops to the fight?”

“But of course! My troops merely await my word. Now, Blel-Plibbit knows that I have you, but doesn’t know if you are alive or dead. I could – ”

And once more, Agar keels over in a trance. His head makes a dull “clunk” as it hits the stone.

To be continued…

Last edited:

KidCthulhu

First Post
That Thoobel. He's crazier than a bedbug without a bed.

To review the cast of characters from Agar's vision:
The crazy archer who misses her beloved is the archer we met in our first undead battle, while still on the surface. The one who nearly took Mara out with one shot. Her beloved, as you may remember, was a suit of hide armor made from her flayed former boyfriend. He was still sentient, and begged to be killed. We were happy to oblige.

The shadow is, of course, the shadow from beneath the dwarven city of Mrid's Gate. The 1+1 = 2 guy. Who had the whole party flat on their backs. Him. We hate him.

The orc is one of the guys from the army attacking Mrid's gate. I don't remember much about him, because he was attacking at about the same time as the appearance of a chick with boobs, a very interesting bikini and six arms. Nolin tends to have a one track mind where exotic females are concerned.

Last edited:

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
Piratecat said:
Dougal looks at Nolin as if he’s insane and twitches in anticipation of the expected blow. “Ahh, not to contradict you, your lordship, but Lady Sharala ha’ been dead for fifty years. In fact, that be the name o’ the ship I sailed on.”

A ship?! I got a ship named after me?! That rules!

Actually, it's a little creepy.

No, wait. It rules!

NOTE: Shara, of course, has never used the phrase "That rules!" in her life.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Serpenteye said:
I guess you don't need me saying it, but this story is awesome. :) All it needs is some PC-deaths to spice things up a little and remove the players feeling of immortality. Your players must be pretty damn skilled and lucky to have their characters survive every fight the DoD have ever fought. They have come soo close so many times, yet somehow noone has ever died since the very beginning, truly they are blessed by the Gods. Too bad the Gods are dying...:p
I actually feel sorry for the poor villains, but then I always root for the bad guys in fiction, I'm weird that way :D

Some of these deaths happened before Velendo joined the Defenders, so I'm probably wrong on some details, but I believe the death toll from the beginning, up to where the Story Hour is now, is:

Arcade (PC) - killed by doppelgangers
Alix -(PC) - also killed by doppelgangers, and later killed by an unwise liaison with the God of Murder (death permanent. Currently a larvae in Hades.)
Grundo (former PC, then NPC dwarf) - killed by minotaurs, raised, and later killed by a dragon in the Academy of Flamecraft (death permanent)
Nolin (PC) killed by -- er -- short goblins
Sharada (NPC "slave"/princess) - killed by Toraz-worshippers (death permanent)
Tao (PC) - killed by a prismatic spray in Ioun's Tower, and later killed by the trillith
Raevynn (PC) - killed by a delayed blast fireball from an evil gnome. Reincarnated into someone else's body after some time as a ghost.
Rofan (former PC) - accidentally worshipped false God and killed by party (permanent death)
Valdek (PC) - killed by a trilith (death permanent)
Agar (PC) - killed by mercenaries in Eversink

I may be forgetting one or two. (I have edited in the ones you missed - PCat)

That works out to about one death every other level. Hardly "no one has died since the very beginning."

Plus, we have been extremely lucky many times over. :D

-Sagiro

Last edited by a moderator:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We're at seven regular players (Agar, Galthia, Malachite, Mara, Nolin, Stone Bear, Velendo) although at this point in the story hour we were at eight (Tao). There is another four main NPCs (Priggle, Cruciel, Burr-Lipp, Splinder) and about 20 dwarves, as well as a familiar (Proty) and a mount (Luminor).

On average, we have one person missing about every other game.

Agar - halfling diviner/alienist/planewalker
Galthia - githzerai monk/acolyte of the fist
Malachite - human paladin/hunter of the dead/radiant knight
Mara - human paladin/radiant knight
Nolin - half-elven bard/rider of the flame
Stone Bear - human shaman/fighter/sacred fist
Tao - half-elven ranger/cleric/divine agent
Velendo - human cleric

Priggle - svirfneblin fighter/gnomish combat engineer
Cruciel - angelic (half celestial) fighter/devoted defender
Burr-Lipp - bullywug fighter/gladiator
Splinder - dwarven fighter/dwarven defender

Grog

First Post
Piratecat said:
Anyways, thanks for the kind words, everyone. I originally ran Eversink because highly political games scared me, I ran the dwarven vault because I wasn't sure that a realistic and traditional dungeon was still viable at such high levels, and I'm running this underdark crawl because I'd never done it before and wasn't sure if I could. You folks are watching me figure the subtleties out, and I appreciate your praise, especially because I'm learning as we go.

Piratecat, could you (or possibly one of your players) give us some idea of the phases your campaign has gone through? When it first started, I believe you said it was a fairly standard, combat-oriented D&D game (please correct me if I'm wrong here). Then it shifted to Sigil (exotic city adventuring), then the comet cycle (epic quest to save the world), then Eversink (political), and now the Underdark/White Kingdom (creepy extended dungeonesque setting). I'm probably missing some stuff in there.... I'm just curious as to how the game has progressed (since there's a lot that's not covered in the story hour).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads