Pirates of the Mezzovian Main -- UPDATED May 12th

The next morning, the whole group was surprised by Eladkot's appearance; wearing a bandage wrapped around his head that still had a bloody red mark where his ear should be, and with dark circles under his eyes as if he'd slept very little. After he gave them a few warnings about plans they were making, they put two and two together and realized that he'd been out to see the oracle. (A brilliant moment for me as DM, I must add.) Their shock and horror (and curiosity) were all equally piqued, but for the moment, they put that aside. Eladkot also shows them the book he got at the library, and they decide that going there is a good idea.

Unfortunately, they won't be able to hire on with the captain they've been sailing with; not only does he need a few days to unload his cargo and make up for leaving Jekara with only a single night in port to his crew, but to reach the caves in question, they'll need to travel up a swampy bayou and the ocean-going vessel wouldn't make it. They decide that these sea-caves are what they're looking for, and that they need to head to the docks to hire, buy or steal a ship that can hug the coast and make its way up the bayou.

Sadly, it was not meant to be as easy as this. As they approached the waterfront, they started seeing folks running away; before long a press-gang stumbles into view. They see the small group and think they look like an easy way to finish their quota in one go. After trading a few insults, glares and other macho stuff, they charge into combat.

Sven, manly fellow that he is, charges up to the front of the combat and stalls the advance of four or five of the press gang. He finds that he's not quite heroic enough to handle that many combatants all by himself, so he takes a ton of damage from all of their attacks. However, his noble sacrifice means that the rest of the group is easily able to mop up those who didn't converge on Sven, and when they turn their attention to rescuing him, they find that a relatively easy task too.

At the end of the fight, the only one seriously injured is Sven. Fairlight—who's relatively stingy with healing (a factor of her being a Favored Soul instead of a Cleric; can't swap out prepared spells for healing)—brings him back. Teren'Kol took a few hits, but he's OK—he's got his ring of fast healing 5 after all—except that suddenly a sharp pain rips through is hand and he stumbles to the ground, pale and weak. He pulls the ring off, down 3 points of CON and looks at it—where before it was plain gold, it now features a small red gem—perhaps a ruby—that looks bizarrely like an eye, looking at him. He can almost sense a malevolent being inside the ruby, willing him to put it back on. He doesn't.

Instead, he rummages through the press-gang's stuff, and finds two of them that are not fully dead. He stabilizes them and chains them up. "Eladkot! Where was that oracle?"

Although Sven and Fairlight decline (and go to see about hiring the boat) the rest of the crew drags their two captives with them to Diellza's house and offers them to her for more divinations. For payment, she notices Teren'Kol's lovely elf-skin belt. "Oh, that is darling! Give me that belt for payment, and I'll divine for you."

Teren'Kol has a very special, sentimental value associated with that belt, but he figures that at least where they're (eventually) headed, he'll probably get plenty of opportunities to make another one.

They find out—most importantly—that the ring is a conduit for Fulcrum, the god Fairlight worships, to come back into the world. It will slowly drain CON from Teren'Kol until it's "full" at which point a special unbinding ritual could free him. The ring will still function normally, also, although he needs to use it quick and take it off before it's "aware" of him and attempts to drain some more CON (Every time he wears it for more than one round, I roll a percentile roll to see if it notices that it's been put on yet. If it does, 1d2 CON damage (not drain, luckily). Every round that he successfully wears the ring without getting its attention increases the probability that it will notice by 20% (it starts at 40%.))

After a bit more mucking around in the intestines of their prisoners, they head back to report their findings to their collegues. When they tell Fairlight that Fulcrum himself is reforming in the hobgoblin's ring, she looks like she's been punched in the face. "Holy :):):):), it's all true!?"

But she quickly decides that that only increases the value of the artifacts she's looking for, after all, and Fulcrum will no doubt be generous to the only one of his followers who went looking to restore him, so she carries on. The group boards a small, flat-bottomed boat and leave the dark fjord of Blackwater behind, hugging the coast and consulting Eladkot's map for the bayou their searching for...

Majicthise

First Post
Keep it up, Hobo

Nice work, Hobo. I am glad to see that you used the "spoiler" button pertaining to the prophesies received by Eladkot. It made me feel less guilty about reading the story hour as a player in this campaign.

I notice that Caden is staying relatively low-key, and it makes me wonder if I need to work on that. Honestly, I am happy to be playing a mellow character. . . Fulcrum really forced me to do my homework (sadly, I have notebooks full of notes pertaining to Fulcrum's core followers, including the high-level cohorts that were doing his bidding behind the scenes. . . most of this info likely will never see the light of day. . . unless, of course, Mr. Quickbeam and I ever resolve the post Age of Worms antics that would have been a precursor to Fulcrum's bid for divinity).

I encourage Mr. Quickbeam to ignore your post pertaining to the chance of CON damage from wearing the ring that the hobgoblin found. It is such a pretty bauble. It deserves to be proudly displayed.

Ciao,
Majicthise

Stockdale

First Post
This is great

Reading this almost better than playing the game. <not quite> That Eladkot is a sick fellow. And the whole Fulcrum thing with Amber is a great tie back to our previous game. Keep up the good work, Hobo.

P.S.

The teenager got home alright, if late, and I had to play the Parent.

Well, that's a part you play well, so there ya go.

Majicthise—you're right; I hadn't really thought about it but Caden is fairly low profile in my retelling of the game, isn't he? Jek too.

Looks like I need to put some effort into facilitating some side-quests or events that tie more to your characters.

It's easier to remember the exploits of Sven, Eladkot, Teren'Kol and Fairlight to a certain extent as well, because they've provided (to date) most of the funny, shocking, or campaign-moving bits so far, for whatever reason. Of course, you had your "old man" scene which'll be coming up soon, and I had a big thing scheduled for Jek (except that Matt wasn't there, so I had to defer it) so maybe it'll shake out OK.

Hmm... this bears a little bit of thought.

Majicthise

First Post
It's not you. It's me.

Hobo, my good man,

I did not mean to imply that you are in any way minimizing Caden's role. What I was considering is breathing some more life into the character from my end. I like his backstory, but it does leave him as a bit of a wide-eyed wanderer, which by design seems more reactive than proactive. I am certainly not asking that you throw specifically designed encounters my way, so that I feel that Caden is interesting.

I think that Caden has yet to decide who he really trusts. He is both repulsed and intrigued by Eladkot. He thinks that the hob-goblin is too hasty. He was terribly confused by Fairlight's professions of faith and her extreme surprise as to the confirmation of her religion's prophesies. He feels that he understands Jek, but Jek is plainly a wanted man. . . which does not breed a strong sense of camaraderie. As for Sven (or Olaf or whatever that fop's name is), he just makes Caden's head hurt.

Could it be that Caden is the one well intentioned adventurer in a sea of scoundrels? Will this force him to begin to challenge his companions' actions and question their motives? Can a support character (by design...come on - he's a spellthief) really think to hold back the baser instincts of those who stand between him and peril? I guess this quandary does seem to explain why Caden appears to be kind of along for the ride at the moment.

I look forward to seeing more of the story, and apologize for rambling.

Ciao,
Majicthise

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Explorer
Keep it coming!

Keep the posts coming Hobo. As Stockdale indicates, reading about the exploits of our group is almost as much fun as playing through the actual sessions. And like Majicthise notes the spoiler text was great -- it allows the players to read the SH updates without gathering information not intended for our PC's. I've been away from EN World for a while (too long probably) and don't remember this tool being employed quite so effectively in years past.

I love the massively over-powered ring having a rather serious downside, and even better the seemingly trapped soul/essence/being is that of a purported deity. Teren'Kol (hereafter TK) isn't really worried about releasing such a being into the world. The way he sees things, such an entity would more than likely be thankful for its release and have no quarrel with him. The problem lies in having his CON drained at inopportune times. TK has a purpose to fulfill and he doesn't intend to let anything stand in his way.

As to group dynamics and why this motley assortment travels together, I really don't know. Each character has a rather perplexed viewpoint on his/her companions. The way I see things, trust isn't at the core of this fellowship. They travel together because the others represent a support network for each character to use in attempting to achieve their own individual objectives. Not a pretty picture, but effective to date.

For my part, I feel that one explanation regarding TK's actions is critical. Having himself been enslaved as a youth, TK loathes slavers with every fiber of his being. He would normally stand in opposition to using people as sacrificial vessels for the oracle's prophecies. But in his mind, the captured press gang thugs forfeit their rights as living beings when they began working for fleshtraders. Simply put, the freedom they so readily took from others by force, justified him ending their lives in whatever manner he saw fit. I'm not looking to open a discussion on TK's morals, ethics, or values...just trying to explain why he elected to use the captured goons to obtain information from the oracle.

Hopefully we get together again this weekend as planned.

I'm shooting for Saturday.

And hopefully a nice big Story Hour update (or two) before then so I don't end up simply falling further behind.

Remove ads