Pistol and Rapier Wielding Kensei Monk

I realize that a Kensei could conceivably have both weapons as Kensei weapons, depending on how Renaissance era firearms are handled in terms of proficiency. But if it's a campaign that goes fully into the Renaissance or later (like the Enlightenment) you could have your monk that very much resembles one swashbuckling archetype.

So taking that into consideration, what would the a Kensei of that type be like in terms of background and story?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
It would depend what what Background, Personality Traits, Ideal, Bond, and flaw were chosen.

A City watch Kensei would have a very different perspective than that of a Cloistered Scholar Kensei, or Outlander Kensei for example.

Even in the same background there is a lot of room for variance.

It sort of depends on your level of 'stretchiness' in terms of class concept. If your Monks have to come from monasteries, live a life of discipline etc, then that is going to have definite repercussions as to background and story.
If your DM is fine with allowing a character to use Monk class mechanics to model character abilities while allowing more freedom in players' character concepts, then you have a much less restricted choice of possibilities.

What sort of character do you want to play, and what is their story and background?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Give them the Noble background, and it seems like you could do a classic Three Musketeers cinematic swashbuckling type. Can walk into the King's court unarmed and still handle himself if a brawl breaks out, deadly with a rapier and pistol, can jump from rooftop to rooftop and brush himself off if he falls down. He'd be more serious and focused, I imagine, less quippy, but still loyal and true to country and friends.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Here's a few I can think of.

Noble: You've used your families resources to train for years and hone your combat prowess. Think Batman or the scarlet Pimpernel.

Outlander: As the Invaders encroach into the Highlands you take your secret traditional fighting techniques and adapt them to the weapons of your enemy to protect your people. Some Rob Roy here, but works just as well for say an Okinawan facing Imperials with western weapons.

Sage: All your life you have trained and studied. One day you receive a mysterious package, a rapier and pistol and a note that all is not as it seems. Who sent you these strange weapons? And yet why do they feel so familiar in your hands?

It sort of depends on your level of 'stretchiness' in terms of class concept. If your Monks have to come from monasteries, live a life of discipline etc, then that is going to have definite repercussions as to background and story.
I'm leaning more on the level of stretchiness, but I'm certainly thinking why this is a Monk with those weapons instead of a Fighter, Rogue or Ranger. Some level of spiritual mysticism is involved, and one that doesn't necessarily involve faith like the Musketeer Aramis who could be a Paladin.

Here's a few I can think of.

Noble: You've used your families resources to train for years and hone your combat prowess. Think Batman or the scarlet Pimpernel.
While most don't normally associate any variety of Monk coming from a Noble background, some noble families are quite mysteriously secretive. Like being linked to a cult or secret society or something like crime family.
Outlander: As the Invaders encroach into the Highlands you take your secret traditional fighting techniques and adapt them to the weapons of your enemy to protect your people. Some Rob Roy here, but works just as well for say an Okinawan facing Imperials with western weapons.
One the last point, there are some alleged links between sword-based Spanish Martial Arts and Filipino Martial Arts, even though historically it may have been more cut-and-thrust swords instead of rapiers.

Sage: All your life you have trained and studied. One day you receive a mysterious package, a rapier and pistol and a note that all is not as it seems. Who sent you these strange weapons? And yet why do they feel so familiar in your hands?

That one could be linked to a previous incarnation in a past life.

Pirate: would probably be another one when I think of things, but then what would make a Monk a Pirate?

I'm leaning more on the level of stretchiness, but I'm certainly thinking why this is a Monk with those weapons instead of a Fighter, Rogue or Ranger. Some level of spiritual mysticism is involved, and one that doesn't necessarily involve faith like the Musketeer Aramis who could be a Paladin.
At the end of the day, a character with levels in Monk is just a person who channels magic into themselves, rather than outwards into spells like a bard perhaps, or rely only on purely physical martial arts like a fighter. There are many forms or teachings that that magic could take, from mystical teachings and techniques, to specific bloodlines, to magical or alchemical experimentation or blessings/curses.

What is the character like in terms of attitude, breeding, bit of history etc. Think on that, and you might get some ideas to narrow down the other parts.

G

Guest 6801328

Slightly off-topic, but what I love about the Kensai is that you can refluff it to meet a number of missing archetypes. I'm currently playing a Kensai Monk as a "swordsman". He started off with a wooden sword (a.k.a. a staff) which, he explained, he would use until he had "earned" the right to wield a real sword. He embellished this by re-telling the stories of how some of the others from his Academy had earned their swords.

He does fight by mixing in some knees to the groin, a few pommels to the face, and the occasional head-butt, but otherwise there's nothing about him that says "monk".

Remove ads