D&D 5E Pixie's are pretty awesome

Gwarok

Explorer
So I think Pixie's should have a higher than 1/4 CR rating. With Conjure Woodland beings, using a single 4th level spell you can summon 8 of them. Flying helpers with superior invisibility that can cast Detect Thoughts, Dispel Magic, Sleep, Confusion, Polymorph, Fly, Entangle, Phantasmal force. So you can basically make your entire party fly and use barrages of spells to screw with your enemies, even sleep when you have 8 of them can be pretty darn useful. Even with a modest DC of 12 to resist the effects of many of those spells, with 8 of them some of it's going to get thru. Enemy has some nice defensive spells up? Most of those are low level and will also be overcome with multiple dispels, even a 9th level spell is likely to be undone if you can 8 dispels at it.

Not bad for a 4th level spell :)

They're also murder on PCs, if you just combine pixies with something that can do damage, like orcs or goblins.

I treat them as CR 1 (200 XP). Sometimes I think they should be CR 2 (450 XP) but they ARE quite fragile.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So I think Pixie's should have a higher than 1/4 CR rating. With Conjure Woodland beings, using a single 4th level spell you can summon 8 of them. Flying helpers with superior invisibility that can cast Detect Thoughts, Dispel Magic, Sleep, Confusion, Polymorph, Fly, Entangle, Phantasmal force. So you can basically make your entire party fly and use barrages of spells to screw with your enemies, even sleep when you have 8 of them can be pretty darn useful. Even with a modest DC of 12 to resist the effects of many of those spells, with 8 of them some of it's going to get thru. Enemy has some nice defensive spells up? Most of those are low level and will also be overcome with multiple dispels, even a 9th level spell is likely to be undone if you can 8 dispels at it.

Not bad for a 4th level spell :)

You don't get to pick which guys you summon. Only the Cr of the guys.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
You are about 3 years too late on this thread.

At any rate, it doesn't work. The player chooses the CR but the DM chooses what is actually summoned within that CR.

Gwarok

Explorer
You don't get to pick which guys you summon. Only the Cr of the guys.

Is that correct? Seems odd. The spell description just says that you summon some fey beings, but doesn't state that you do or don't have control over the selection, and I'd always assumed the caster did. Is there something concrete that defines this somewhere?

Remove ads