• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planar Vermin: The Adamant Beetle

Krishnath

First Post
We need more creatures from Acheron. Comments would be appreciated.

-

Adamant Beetle
Huge Vermin (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice:
20d8+200 (290 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30’, fly 60’ (average),
Armor Class: 28 (-2 size, +20 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 28,
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+38
Attack: Bite +28 melee (2d6+22 plus 1d6 acid)
Full Attack: Bite +28 melee (2d6+22 plus 1d6 acid)
Space/Reach: 15’/10’
Special Attacks: Acid, Breath weapon,
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/epic, Darkvision 60’, Immunity to acid, Mindless, Resistance to cold 15, electricity 15, fire 15, and sonic 15, Spell resistance 32,
Saves: Fort +22, Ref +6, Will +7
Abilities: Str 40, Dex 10, Con 31, Int -, Wis 13, Cha 11,
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Infernal Battlefield of Acheron.
Organization: Solitary.
Challenge Rating: 18
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral.
Advancement: 21-30 HD (Huge); 31-60 HD (Gargantuan).

A massive beetle covered in metallic dark grey chitin, slowly crawls towards you. A green liquid drips from its huge mandibles.

Adamant beetles are gigantic scavengers from the plane of Acheron. They feed primarily on different metals that they dissolve with their acid breath.

Combat:
Adamant beetles are mindless combatants that usually ignore anything that is not primarily made of metal or show aggression against them.
Acid (Ex): The adamant beetles mandibles are covered in a green corrosive liquid that deals acid damage to everything that isn’t stone. This acid eats through metal and organic compounds easily and causes the creatures bite attack to deal 1d6 points of additional acid damage. Additional any metallic object struck by the creatures bite attack must make an fortitude save (DC 30) or be utterly ruined. Magical items get a +4 circumstance bonus on the save, but are still destroyed if they fail the save. The save DC is Con based.
Breath Weapon (Ex): Once every 1d4 rounds an adamant beetle can expel a 60’ cone of acidic vapors from its mouth. The cone deals 15d6 points of acid damage to everything caught in the blast. A reflex save (DC 30) halves the damage. Any metallic item caught in the blast must make an additional Fortitude save as if it was affected by the creatures bite attack (see above). The save DC is Con based.
Mindless: No intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).

© 2004 Kristian L. Jensen.

-

What do you think?

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
riiiight I'm freakin' out over some stupid bug crawling over my arm and then I read this?

*shudder*

bugs

*wolf shudders some more*

(good job, I say)

EldonG

First Post
Ooooh...
I want it...I *need* it! Wonderful...disgustingly wonderful!

I have a few magic items for one to digest. ;)

Don't worry, Krish...I'll give ya credit...but there is a place for these...if I can ever finish these darn scenarios. btw: I know why nobody has ever published epic level scenarios, to speak of!

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
You did see the DR and SR right? This thing is very hard to kill if you don't have access to epic weapons. Also, the Acid is nasty to get hit by. No more magic weapons to play with. :D

the Jester

Legend
True... but it can be bombarded from a distance. I'd prolly say CR 18. A party at that level is almost certain to be able to control the battlefield.

Krishnath

First Post
the Jester said:
True... but it can be bombarded from a distance. I'd prolly say CR 18. A party at that level is almost certain to be able to control the battlefield.
Bah, I would like to see the non-epic arrow that can penetrate the creatures DR regularly, and most 18th level spellcasters will have some trouble penetrating the monsters SR, but I will reduce the CR, although I am loath to do so...

the Jester

Legend
The 18th-level nigh-epic archer imc routinely deals in the neighborhood of 10-13 hp per arrow, and he's a machine gun. He has trouble with DR 15/x, but DR 10/x only slows him down. It's significant, but not crucial.

Just my experience- he's the lowest level guy in the group, but he pumps lots of damage out. :)

You're right about the SR, though- an 18th level caster would need a 14 to punch through. Bad news for the wizards. :]

Either way, I really like these guys!

Remove ads