Planescape - Divided We Stand • Chapter 1: The Drawing of the Five

Baronsquee

First Post
Vorrin lets the door swing open, revealing the sight to all. He paces cautiously into the room, beholding the raw chaos before him.

"This is Limbo", he murmurs slowly. "My home."

Antithetist

First Post
Khalil steps up behind the others with a sharp intake of breath, surveying the scene wide-eyed. All thoughts of desert bandits have now quite vanished from his mind as he slowly takes in the enormity of what he's seeing. His mind races feverishly, trying with scant success to relate this primal chaos beyond the rift to any of his learned wisdom about the nature of the cosmos. The thought does occur to him that he might be dreaming, but he dismisses it as a largely fruitless avenue of enquiry - there's no way to confirm it, and to assume would be stupidly reckless.

"What is this place?" he asks flatly, feeling uncomfortable in this unaccustomed state of utter ignorance.

OOC: Knowledge: the Planes 1d20+7=14

Shayuri

First Post
"Limbo?" Etrigan repeated. "What am I doing in Limbo? I didn't pass through a portal."

He squints up at the light, then down at the yawning chasm in the floor.

"The light must be stabilizing this place...but it's been damaged. We really don't want it to fail. Lets see here..."

Etrigan frowns and tries to imagine gravity pulling him UPwards instead of down, though gently...not at it ful normal force.

Baronsquee

First Post
Vorrin allows his mind to settle, into the pattern that he learned during his time with the Anarchs' Guild, and set about trying to repair the chasm in the room.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Khalil recalled a set of scrolls he had read some time ago, written by a sorcerer of great power and faith. One passage held fast in his mind:

The Book of Lost Pilgrims said:
ويل تقع على عاتق الرجل الذي يصبح خسر
بين أراضي الجن الذين يطلق عليهم اسم الضفادع الفوضى ،
في دوامات يجب ، وقال انه فوضى خربة تكون قذف ،
ولكن لا شيء في الحفاظ على قوة الحكمة جسده.

Woe-betide the man who becomes lost
Among the lands of the Djinn who are called Sla'adi,
In swirling, formless chaos shall he be toss'd,
And naught but Wisdom's force preserve his body.

Etrigan's hair slowly stood on end, and the coins in his pockets flew upward toward the ceiling. He lifted off the floor, appearing weightless, then gracefully rotated in mid-air and landed softly on the ceiling.

Vorrin concentrated on the chasm in the middle of the room, believing down within his soul that it was a completed floor. From the great swirling mass of elements beyond the rift, stone drew itself up to complete the floor. However, the moment Vorrin opened his eyes to see his work, patches began to crumble once again, leaving large holes remaining in the floor. The years since his training among the Anarchs, supreme shapers of chaos, had brought many changes, and he had forgotten much of his training.

Baronsquee

First Post
Vorrin glances up at Etrigan.

"You're right, friend. I, too, was not near an active portal. Could this be one of the Lady's Mazes?"

Looking back at the crumbling precipice before him, Vorrin furrows his mottled brow and attempts to concentrate once again.

"I cannot hold the form of chaos as once I could. With, time, perhaps. Etrigan, can you see a way safely clear of this room?"

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I was... teleported here; I didn't went through a portal either." states the dwarf, beholing the strange place. He looks for a way out.

Spot: 19

Antithetist

First Post
"ولكن لا شيء في الحفاظ على قوة الحكمة جسده..."

"...Wisdom's force?" Khalil mutters to himself abstractedly, watching his companions efforts. "This place is shaped by will, isn't it? You are trying to - what? Imagine this wound healed?

A slow smile of excitement creeps over his features, barely tempered with fear. "But what is this light, then? Some arcane device? Perhaps there is some way to stop it failing..."

Getting as close as he dares, he peers at the greenish globe, looking for any comprehensible traces of the magic that must, presumably, have wrought it.

[sblock=OOC]Knowledge: Arcana 1d20+7=16[/sblock]

Last edited:

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Khalil looked into the globe. As its light ebbed, he was able to discern the shape within: a brain, suspended in a gray-green fluid. The fluid reminded him at once of the fluids employed in preserving corpses for necromantic research. He felt the brain look back at him, and weave words into the fabric of his mind, as though stitched into the surface of his thoughts.

"Welcome back, master," it said. "I apologize for the state of my charge, master. I'm so very tired, master." As the words embroidered themselves into the pattern of Khalil's mind, the light became more dim, and Vorrin's repairs to the chasm began to fall away more rapidly.

Shayuri

First Post
Even as Khalil peers into the globe, so too does Etrigan cast a spell of detection, and begin to pace around the thing, peering into it both with eyes and with magic, looking for signs of damage that can be repaired...

(Detect Magic, and a visual inspection. Etrigan's standing right next to the globe...that was why he reversed gravity for himself :))

Remove ads