[OOC] Planescape: Divided We Stand

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
The characters are shaping up nicely, everyone! I'm really excited to see this group in action.

It's not a hard and fast deadline, but I would like to start on Thursday, September 2nd, if possible. If I don't have 5 good, complete characters by that point, I'll push back the start date, so don't feel too rushed. To be considered complete, your character should have abilities rolled, class picked, and skill points allocated. Your character should also have 3 Keys, written by you (good work on your Keys so far, by the way!) or chosen from my examples. Finally, you should provide me some short blurb that tells me who your character is and what s/he believes. You can leave off choosing spells, feats, or equipment for later if you're pressed for time; we can start without those decisions being made and just figure those things out when they come up in play.

Does anyone have any questions they need answered in order to make a character? Anything you'd like to know about the setting, game, play style, yen to peseta exchange rate...?

Shayuri

First Post
The Effervescent Etrigan! (Nom de Plume)
Changeling Beguiler 1

STR 9, DEX 14, CON 13, INT 16, WIS 14, CHA 16
Stat Roll

Hit Points 7/7
BAB: +0
AC: 12
Fort: +1
Reflex: +2
Will: +4

Racial traits
Minor Shapechange (Su) - As Disguise Self, but physical changes to body only.
+2 Sense Motive, +2 Bluff
Natural Linguist - Speak Language is always class skill
Shapechanger subtype

Feats
Spell Focus: Enchantment

Skills 36
Bluff 4 +3 + 2 = +9
Diplomacy 4 + 3 = +7
Disguise 2 + 3 = +5
Intimidate 2 + 3 = +5
Sense Motive 4 +2 + 2 = +8
Knowledge: Planes 2 + 3 = +5
Speak Language 2
Hide 4 + 2 = +6
Move Silently 4 + 2 = +6
Spot 4 + 2 = +6
Listen 4 + 2 = +6

Languages: Common, Elvish, Draconic, Giant, Celestial, Infernal

Spellcasting (Beguiler CL1, DC 13+lvl, 14+lvl for enchantment)
0 - 4/4, 1 - 4/4

Known Spells
0 - Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Message, Open/Close, Read Magic
1 - Charm Person, Color Spray, Comprehend Languages, Detect Secret Doors, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, Hypnotism, Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist, Rouse, Silent Image, Sleep, Undetectable Alignment, Whelm

Equipment
Starting gold: 190
Roll Lookup

Cash: 122gp

Weapon
Rapier, 20gp, 2lbs
Dagger, 2gp, 1lb
Light Crossbow, 35gp, 4lbs
10 bolts, 1gp, 1lb

Armor
Leather armor, 10gp, 15lbs

Gear

[sblock=Keys]Key of Glittering Gold

Key of the Imposter

Key of the Swindler[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]Being whisked away accidentally to Sigil is how a number of beings find their ends. For Etrigan, it was a new beginning. He laid low until he'd learned the chant of things, adapting to the new culture as if he'd been born to it. While dabbling in legitimate pursuits of coin, Etrigan made the acquaintance of (...), a githzerai who sold his 'belief' in things. He explained to Etrigan how belief shaped, or could shape, the cosmos. At first Etrigan was dubious, but his further researches confirmed the essence of the gith's teachings. He got an idea from that. Why stop at one person's belief? Thus Sigil was introduced to the various iterations and incarnations of "The Method."

The Method is a generic name (he spices it up for each pitch) for what is essentially a con game Etrigan uses to lure jink in from the credulous and unwary. He claims that, for a fee, he will circulate stories and manipulate beliefs all around Sigil and the multiverse in the favor of the client...who will then see the very nature of reality alter itself to his benefit.

It's bunk, of course; altering the cosmos doesn't work that way...and even if it did, Etrigan's efforts to spread the new paradigm are not nearly enough to have such narrow, specialized effects. Even so, with his githzerai confederate, and the testimonies of those who got legitimately lucky after utilizing his 'Method,' Etrigan can make a good bit of cash before folding his tent and vanishing before those who did NOT become lucky can find him again.[/sblock]

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
It begins!

Okay! As of now, we have three great, complete characters:

• Khalil ibn Haqal, played by Antithetist
  • The Effervescent Etrigan, played by Shayuri
  • Vorrin Dartigan, played by Baronsque
Feleghost, and Pinder, played by Voda Vosa and ethandrew respectively, just needs Keys, and then they're all done. You've all made really, really interesting characters. I'm a happy DM!

I'd like to begin right away, so even though Feleghost and Pinder don't have Keys just yet, you two can feel free to come up with those after we start. Just don't wait too long, or you'll miss out on delicious, nourishing experience points. ;) For other players in the thread, I'd be happy to take your characters as alternates in case someone needs to drop, if you're interested.

When you're ready, come on over to the in-character thread here! Please introduce your character in a short vignette. It can be dramatic, comic, tragic, or simply mundane. Anything that introduces your character well is fair game. There's just one rule: please end your post with the sentence, "Then, without warning, he vanished completely."

At your convenience, please also post a finalized version of your character sheet here, including Keys. We'll keep this thread (the one you're reading now) as an OOC thread going forward.

Woo!

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Viktor
[B]Class:[/B] Warrior
[B]Race:[/B] Human (Shapechanger)
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Chaotic neutral
[B]Deity:[/B] None

[B]Str:[/B] 17 +3            [B]Level:[/B] 1        [B]XP:[/B] 0
[B]Dex:[/B] 12 +1            [B]BAB:[/B] +1         [B]HP:[/B] 10 (1d8+2)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2            [B]Grapple:[/B] +4     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] NA/NA
[B]Int:[/B] 09 -1            [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] NA
[B]Wis:[/B] 13 +1            [B]Init:[/B] +5        [B]Spell Save:[/B] NA
[B]Cha:[/B] 09 -1            [B]ACP:[/B] -2         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] NA%

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +4    +0    +1    +0    +2    +0    17
[B]Touch:[/B] 11              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 16

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      2    +2          +4
[B]Ref:[/B]                       0    +1          +1
[B]Will:[/B]                      0    +1          +1

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Greataxe                  +4     1d12+4     20-20x3
Guisarme                  +4     2d4 +4     20-20x3
XXXX                      +X     XdXX+X     XX-XXxX
XXXX                      +X     XdXX+X     XX-XXxX

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, 

[B]Abilities:[/B]+2 Wisdom(Already calculated), natural armor +2(Already included), alternate form (wolf), 
low-light vision, shapechanger subtype, werewolf feat (Track)

[B]Feats:[/B] Track(Werewolf Rank 1 Bonus feat), Endurance, Improved Initiative

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 8       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 4/4
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Intimidate                 2    -1          +1
Climb                      2    +3          +5
Jump                       2    +3          +5
Swim                       2    +3          +5

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Greataxe                    20gp   12lb
Guisarme                    09gp   12lb
Chain Shirt                100gp   25lb
XXXX                     XXgp   XXlb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]49lb      [B]Money:[/B] 11gp 00sp 00cp

[B]Lgt   Med   Heavy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               86   87-173   174-260   260   1300

[B]Age:[/B] 22
[B]Height:[/B] 5'10"
[B]Weight:[/B] 150lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Green
[B]Hair:[/B] Black
[B]Skin:[/B] Light tan
Appearance:
Viktor is a rather strong man, his muscles apparently as he possessed little in the form of body fat. His skin lightly tanned but not overly so, as he generally lived in shaded areas where he received little direct light. His build is definitely an athletic one, the man's form seemed built for harsher tasks. His eyes most definitely held a predatory look, as if he was evaluating whether or not the person would pose a worthy threat or if they were more to be prey. His garb was very simple, composed primarily of brown cloth or leather as it was available, save the chain shirt he 'acquired'.

Background: Viktor lived in a Prime plane of which he knew little about, save that his life amongst the forest and his ancestry caused him to be treated as anathema to those he had considered his kind. Humans wanted nothing to do with the young man, his life shrouded by the stories of his parents and he found himself struggling with surviving alone.

As he grew, he realized that he was feared for what his ancestors had been, and that it was because his ancestors were strong. Perhaps once he mastered the 'shadow' of his past and proved non-threatening, they would accept him? He sought desperately to do so, to no avail. Perhaps he would eventually come into his own, and find his place to belong? If not, Viktor just might resort to carving his own place to belong into this world, whether that makes him a villain or not...

I'm not entirely finished yet, obviously. I figured I'd post up what I have so far so it didn't look like I dropped this or anything, plus most of the crunch is up. I'm just waffling on the additional language Viktor learns due to being human.

Also: Hella, I am considering when Viktor starts growing to go into the Totemist Class, as I believe you had sourcebooks open, basically Viktor begins learning how the planes work, coming to the belief that he is an incarnation of the primal spirits or something(channeling the beast spirits of the planes for his incarnum). If that's not okay, I can go with something simpler, but I thought it'd be cool.

Last edited:

Antithetist

First Post
Posted Khalil in the character thread. :)

I'll hold off on posting IC until tomorrow morning, if that's okay - I'm just pretty shattered right now and not getting much inspiration. Totally psyched about the game though!

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Also: Hella, I am considering when Viktor starts growing to go into the Totemist Class, as I believe you had sourcebooks open, basically Viktor begins learning how the planes work, coming to the belief that he is an incarnation of the primal spirits or something(channeling the beast spirits of the planes for his incarnum). If that's not okay, I can go with something simpler, but I thought it'd be cool.

That sounds really cool! You can take Totemist levels any time you like, mixing it in with your Lycanthrope and Wolf levels as you see fit. Just remember that hitting second level means you replace your level in Warrior with something else, due to the Level Adjustment.

Have you guys taken a look at ethandrew's intro? It's awesome. It makes me want to play in a dark and gritty, Sword and Sorcery world of chimpanzee cultists.

Theroc

First Post
[sblock=Keys]Key of the Hunter
An experienced hunter, you enjoy the thrill of the hunt, patiently tracking prey until you find what you seek.

• Gain 1 XP every time you locate something through tracking
  • Gain 2 XP every time you track down a person you were sent to find.
  • Gain 5 XP every time your eagerness to follow a trail leads you into a bit more than you were searching for...
Buyoff: Refuse to follow a trail without good cause.

Key of the Warrior
You're a fighter through and through, and are not cowed by bold words.

• Gain 1 XP whenever you refuse to back down due to threats
  • Gain 3 XP whenever you engage in combat that contributes significantly to your worth as a fighter.
  • Gain 5 XP whenever your stubborn refusal to back down gets you in over your head
Buyoff: Allow yourself to be cowed into submission.
[/sblock]

I plan to think up another one, but if anyone has input or better ideas for some XP cues than I came up with, I'd certainly appreciate them.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
[sblock=Keys]Key of the Hunter
An experienced hunter, you enjoy the thrill of the hunt, patiently tracking prey until you find what you seek.

• Gain 1 XP every time you locate something through tracking
  • Gain 2 XP every time you track down a person you were sent to find.
  • Gain 5 XP every time your eagerness to follow a trail leads you into a bit more than you were searching for...
Buyoff: Refuse to follow a trail without good cause.

Key of the Warrior
You're a fighter through and through, and are not cowed by bold words.

• Gain 1 XP whenever you refuse to back down due to threats
  • Gain 3 XP whenever you engage in combat that contributes significantly to your worth as a fighter.
  • Gain 5 XP whenever your stubborn refusal to back down gets you in over your head
Buyoff: Allow yourself to be cowed into submission.
[/sblock]

I plan to think up another one, but if anyone has input or better ideas for some XP cues than I came up with, I'd certainly appreciate them.

I like your Keys a lot! For your third one, you could do something with your character's status as an outsider due to lycanthropy, or his desire for community--just as ideas if you're stuck. :) I definitely appreciate your enthusiasm, so if someone needs to drop, you're my first choice for an alternate.

The posts we have up in the IC thread are so, so cool. Very atmospheric, and a great start to the game. Once Voda Vosa and Shayuri have posted, you'll find out just where your character vanished to.

Remove ads