Planescape Planescape Factions preview

Remathilis

Legend
So this is pure conjecture.

Hands of Havoc are probably going to have a "the only constant is change" vibe where they create things only to destroy them later. In some regards, they are the Revolutionary League (who were anarchists, but only insofar as wanting to tear down the old) and Xhaositets were basically another Kender/Malkavian/Chaotic Neutral problem on steroids. Giving the Rev league something to fight for (tear down the old, build something new) with the dadaism of Xaosmen (hmmm... no, let's start over again) gives both factions a bit more form and function.

The Mind's Eye is a better version of the Believers and Signers. The Sign of One was HARD to play (I know, I tried it) without being a complete jerk player, so rolling them into the Godsmen as they did (becoming a faction about following your destiny, self-improvement, eventual Godhood) makes them a lot easier to digest. My favorite post-FW change was this one.

I think the Free League will still exist, just as a minor faction. The problem again was that their belief was "free thinking" and "I do my own research" but they didn't have anything else in common beyond banding together to fight the oppression of the other 14 factions. It doesn't appear the 12 Ascendant Factions hold as much power or influence, so the Free League being the non-choice choice seems less important. I'm fine with the Indepts still existing in small pockets here and there.

Its clear this is again soft-reboot territory (with the factions restored and most of the factols returning) but considering how badly Faction War was received, I'm happy with the reboot. Faction War is about on par with the Prism Pentad and Requiem: The Grim Harvest in terms of changes that were hated by the fandom, so no complaints about ignoring them.

I hope they do more to make the Ascendant Factions seem more meaningful outside Sigil and address why major magical powers in other settings that know that Sigil exist aren't major players in Sigil, like Red Wizards, Order of the Gaunlet, Harpers, etc....

Hands of Havoc are probably going to have a "the only constant is change" vibe where they create things only to destroy them later.
From the videos the Hands are the opposite. They think near everything is inherently corrupt and needs to be destroyed, so they can put better stuff in it's place. This includes both objects, and organizations.

Remathilis

Legend
From the videos the Hands are the opposite. They think near everything is inherently corrupt and needs to be destroyed, so they can put better stuff in it's place. This includes both objects, and organizations.
Kinda what I was trying to get at. They have a three step process.

1.) Tear down the old.
2.) Build something new.
3.) Tear down the new and replace it with something newer.

Repeat forever.

The Dustmen/Heralds of Dust were based in the Negative Energy Plane before, but now are based in the Grey Wastes of Hades.

That might be because 5e wants less of the Negative and Positive Energy Planes as places to go to, or at least making those planes as unreachable and mysterious as the Far Realm. The Energy Planes are now "enclosing" the other planes with the Negative Energy Plane connected to Shadowfell and the Lower Planes.

The Dustmen/Heralds of Dust were based in the Negative Energy Plane before, but now are based in the Grey Wastes of Hades.

That might be because 5e wants less of the Negative and Positive Energy Planes as places to go to, or at least making those planes as unreachable and mysterious as the Far Realm. The Energy Planes are now "enclosing" the other planes with the Negative Energy Plane connected to Shadowfell and the Lower Planes.

No the energy planes enclose the Astral and Outer Planes, they are as far out as you can get before hitting the Far Realms.

The Doomguard's had been placed in the Quasi Elemental Planes, but now are in the Elemental Chaos.

Honestly the Shadowfell would have made mire sense then Hades, why would a none evil Faction set up shop in an evil plane that turns folks into Larva?

The Larva thing should really only be the first level like the disease thing. makes no sense to put that on the levels ruled by Greek and Norse

Remove ads